JX35 - Failed Transfer Case

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2020 6:16 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2001
789 posts
123 upvotes

JX35 - Failed Transfer Case

Hey guys - not sure if anyone can help or suggest anything, but I have a 2013 JX35 that is 4 months off warranty and the transfer case has completely failed. I am in Montreal and the repair cost is $5000 including parts and labour. My understanding is that this SHOULD be covered under the CVT warranty extension as the transfer case is part of the transmission - but Infiniti is telling me my VIN doesnt qualify.

Any suggestions or help anyone can offer as to what (if any) recourse I have? ;(
37 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3279 posts
3385 upvotes
GTA
The transfer case is separate from the CVT. Did you check the fluid condition/level every 24,000km/1yr as per the maintenance schedule?
[OP]
Dec 22, 2001
789 posts
123 upvotes
derass wrote: The transfer case is separate from the CVT. Did you check the fluid condition/level every 24,000km/1yr as per the maintenance schedule?
I took my car to Nissan and let them inspect it. I think the last one I did was around 50000 - probably around 14 months ago. I am at 65000 right now.
Apr 28, 2013
206 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Could you share the details of the extended cvt warranty? My parents have a 2013 jx35 with a 100k, no problems yet but wondering if it still have coverage if something goes.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2001
789 posts
123 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: https://www.classaction.org/nissan-path ... on-lawsuit

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-set ... ettlement/

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 3-0001.pdf

** There is a lot of info on these defective transfer cases from US class-action suits and several large law firms.
I don’t know much about cars, but from what I’ve read the transfer case is part of the transmission. Is this your understanding as well?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6082 posts
1759 upvotes
BC
boojew wrote: I don’t know much about cars, but from what I’ve read the transfer case is part of the transmission. Is this your understanding as well?
In vehicles I am aware of, a faulty transfer case can be kept in place but tidily decommissioned by removing driveshafts and sealing them off.

Leaving you with a permanent 2WD vehicle. You cannot do anything equivalent to that with a faulty transmission.

Which supports the statement that the transfer case is not part of the transmission. Part of the drivetrain certainly, but not part of the transmission any more than a differential is.

(Not saying the above could be a viable solution/compromise in your predicament, but mentioned it for illustrative purposes. The failure might be such that not even 2WD can be supported.)
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14954 posts
4186 upvotes
London
What were the symptoms ?

I don't think the Jx35 has a traditional 4X4 "transfer case" . Click on the diagram below to open it up fully
niss.jpg
It's like a FWD drive train with transverse mounted engine and transmission = mounted sideways

There's a "transfer case" which is like a "90 degree gear adaptor" . It bolts in between the CVT and the right front drive axle

The AWD smarts are in the rear differential where the "electric controlled coupling" controls whether it's 2WD or 4WD
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32110 posts
17964 upvotes
Ottawa
boojew wrote: I don’t know much about cars, but from what I’ve read the transfer case is part of the transmission. Is this your understanding as well?
It's a separate component.
The transfer case and tranny on my Explorer failed separately.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
2366 posts
1258 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: It's a separate component.
Then OP is in for alot of butt hurt.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32110 posts
17964 upvotes
Ottawa
cristianosham wrote: Then OP is in for alot of butt hurt.
The transfer case is generally the weakest link in a transverse mounted engine AWD platform.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12525 posts
6408 upvotes
Toronto
More evidence of Nissan "quality"
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4564 posts
1755 upvotes
markham
Swerny wrote: More evidence of Nissan "quality"
3 rear ends (2 under warranty) and 1 transfer case not under warranty on a few frontiers I own...yea shit quality ..needless to say, that one frontier is now a 2wd as I just ripped out the transfer case (not worth fixing at 200k)...and if its powertrain warranty its should be covered as its a awd vehicle and if awd fails it should be covered...
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2013
4564 posts
1755 upvotes
markham
vkizzle wrote: It's a separate component.
so if your transfer case fails on a awd vehicle..is that not part of the powertrain ?