• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 6:24 pm
[OP]
Feb 12, 2008
185 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto

Kanetix quotes - Be aware !

Recently I went through the process of selecting a new auto insurance provider. My record is clean; I just wanted to shop around for a better rate. I had contacted a number of brokers and visited the Kanetix' website to get a quote. At the end of the process, I realized that Kanetix is not a good option to pursue.

1. They call themselves aggregators but essentially they try to sell us the products of their preferred insurance companies. That's why they don't show you the results on the website (the way you get to see with Kayak.com, for example) and want you to call them to find out the providers of the lowest quotes. Not only that, they would also try to connect you to their preferred insurance broker who sells the policies of the lowest quote providers. So there is no transparency! I tried to ask the agent what their payment arrangement is with the broker or the insurance company and she refused to disclose that.

2. When I filled Kanetix' questionnaire, my lowest quote was around $1500. They call it an approximate quote. However, when followed up with the provider, the quote increased to around $2,000 , not much different from quotes I got from other brokers. So please don't get fooled by the lowest quote Kanetix provides you. They are meaningless; your quote is going to go up when you call the insurance company.

I feel that we need a better alternative to Kinetix.
Last edited by musicgold on Nov 28th, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------
Almost all problems in our lives can be traced back to a lack of knowledge.
33 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37416 posts
23487 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kanetix is my go to online quoting website and that's how I found Coseco; whom I will be switching to at the end of my current policy.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1150 posts
1257 upvotes
Calgary
musicgold wrote: Recently I went through the process of selecting a new auto insurance provider. My record is clean; I just wanted to shop around for a better rate. I had contacted a number of brokers and visited the Kanetix' website to get a quote. At the end of the process, I realized that Kanetix is not a good option to pursue.

1. They call themselves aggregators but essentially they try to sell us the products of their preferred insurance companies. That's why they don't show you the results on the website (like to the way you get to see with Kayak.com for example) and want you to call them to find out the providers of the lowest quotes. Not only that, they would also try to connect you to their preferred insurance broker who sells the policies of the lowest quote providers. So there is no transparency ! I tried to ask the agent what their payment arrangement is with the broker or the insurance company and she refused to disclose that.

2. When I filled Kanetix' questionnaire, my lowest quote was around $1500. They call it an approximate quote. Then when followed up with the provider, the quote increased to be around $2,000 , not much different from other quotes I got from other brokers. So please don't get fooled by the lowest quote Kanetix provides you. They are meaningless; your quote is going to go up when you call the insurance company.

I feel that we need a better alternative to Kinetix.
Have you compared it to Insurance Hotline? Worked out better than Kanetix for me if I recall.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
9094 posts
2303 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I found my current auto insurance company through Kanetix. The quote given online was the same amount offered by the insurance company. So worked as intended in my case.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36357 posts
10598 upvotes
Ottawa
Kanetix, like many other online re-sellers profit off sales and, like they told you, "They call it an approximate quote."
This forum is full of people that have complaints about their online quotes being wrong and prices rises afterwards.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19189 posts
22084 upvotes
GTA
If you qualify for group insurance, TDMM is hard to beat. Same goes for The Personal.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2695 upvotes
Insurance HotLine is a better choice in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2791 posts
2023 upvotes
Also keep in mind, insurance companies track your quotes. Give an example: If you search your vehicle + different address dont be surprised if you get a phone call. Happened to me with belair. I was using my cottage address as the primary as i was there frequently and all summer. They stated id have to call back in july to have it changed for those 2 months i am up there.
Smash that like button!
Nov 26, 2014
55 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
6mthatch wrote: Also keep in mind, insurance companies track your quotes. Give an example: If you search your vehicle + different address dont be surprised if you get a phone call. Happened to me with belair. I was using my cottage address as the primary as i was there frequently and all summer. They stated id have to call back in july to have it changed for those 2 months i am up there.
Did you do quotes on Belair website and leave it unfinished? I got same phone call from them to asking me if I needed help to complete the address change.
May 27, 2007
238 posts
59 upvotes
Vaughan
I was with TD Melox and they increased my premium 2 years ago. After calling up most major companies, I ended up finding the best deal on Kanetix. The quote I got online was almost the same as what was finalized with the broker.
Jun 27, 2017
612 posts
862 upvotes
GTA
DIfferent experience for me. The actual deal I got from a broker thru Kanetix was actually lower than what Kanetix quoted for me online.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
I Just tried Kanetix and was given a quote right away (which was substantially lower than my current company All State). As well, when I was getting a quote I had a pop window for a free $25 gift card which I also mentioned (cineplex, and some other company). But their office is closed at the moment, so talked to an after hours person and they created a ticket so they will call me back when the office opens after 8:30am.

Thanks OP! I will see how it works out and let you guys know.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2791 posts
2023 upvotes
jondeals wrote: Did you do quotes on Belair website and leave it unfinished? I got same phone call from them to asking me if I needed help to complete the address change.
Nope. This was straight from specifically the kanetix website. Left me scratching my head and quite a few hundred dollars poorer. the 50/50 time split (say every weekend, holidays, school breaks and summers) at the cottage was justified for me using that as the primary residence as my licence also had reflected that. Belair just wanted their greedy little pockets to be filled.
Smash that like button!
May 30, 2017
132 posts
48 upvotes
Have you tried LowestRates? From my experience on a provider's side, the quotes are usually accurate, provided that you fill it accurately. Just be aware that the default coverages quoted are $1 million liability, and $1000 deductibles if you have collision and/or comprehensive selected, with no additional endorsements other than Family Protection.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9295 posts
1867 upvotes
Ontario
Other than Travellers and Intact, they all appear to be banks/direct writers
boat73 wrote: Have you tried LowestRates? From my experience on a provider's side, the quotes are usually accurate, provided that you fill it accurately. Just be aware that the default coverages quoted are $1 million liability, and $1000 deductibles if you have collision and/or comprehensive selected, with no additional endorsements other than Family Protection.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4172 posts
1134 upvotes
I tried both Kanetix and Insurance Hotline. I prefer IH. Kanetix just give e a low price to lure me in to go through them to talk to the provider. IH is more transparent. They showed me providers with lowest price and sent my info to them. They email me right away with more or less the same price. Instead of me waiting on the phone trying to work through with Kanetix first. And I found mine from IH. Good provider and price.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37416 posts
23487 upvotes
Center of Universe
Avatar wrote: I tried both Kanetix and Insurance Hotline. I prefer IH. Kanetix just give e a low price to lure me in to go through them to talk to the provider. IH is more transparent. They showed me providers with lowest price and sent my info to them. They email me right away with more or less the same price. Instead of me waiting on the phone trying to work through with Kanetix first. And I found mine from IH. Good provider and price.
Kanetix use to show quotes from various insurers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
6334 posts
972 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote: If you qualify for group insurance, TDMM is hard to beat. Same goes for The Personal.
I thought this about tdmm cooperators and personal.

Sonnet beat them both for full coverage and home. try Sonnet OP. it really is easy if you have a clean record.
--
I like detailing cars!
Dec 12, 2007
873 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
What’s everyone using nowadays to get some quotes online? I am shopping around as it’s renewal time for me soon for both auto and home
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12346 posts
4854 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: If you qualify for group insurance, TDMM is hard to beat. Same goes for The Personal.
Agree, have staff rate at TDMM.
They keep increasing mine and wife's insurance premium but yet still better price than others after compared around.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)