Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13796 posts
2937 upvotes
Vancouver

Kanto or audioengine?

Hi, i am and have been looking for some computer speakers. Geared towards Kanto or Audioengine. I have been monitoring on/off again for a ling time. Do they ever go on sale? :(
48 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5085 posts
2078 upvotes
Vancouver
$$$ budget ?

I have plenty of suggestions but don't want to type a novel.

[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13796 posts
2937 upvotes
Vancouver
NewsyL wrote: $$$ budget ?

I have plenty of suggestions but don't want to type a novel.

I am interested in kanto, edifier or audioengine. Read lots about these. And want 2.0 system. Open to good deals. Price is fairly open.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5085 posts
2078 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote: I am interested in kanto, edifier or audioengine. Read lots about these. And want 2.0 system. Open to good deals. Price is fairly open.
To answer your question "Do they ever go on sale?"

Yes, they do. You missed by about 4 months a sale on Kanto TUK's that were reduced about $1000 to $699. The last good Edifier sale was Amazon Prime Days in 2020 when certain models were reduced about 35 to 40%. Edifier also ran some good direct deals last June/July during the peak COVID market malaise. At Black Friday in fall 2020 the deals were just not as good. As for Audioengine, they do not impress me, I've thought they were overpriced and seldom on sale so I've never bothered to follow them.

You should get onto the three camel web site and look up price histories on Amazon. There is another site that does same but I can't recall its' name.

Sooooo..... if I was buying self powered speakers for my man cave desktop system and....
  • $$$ were not a concern,
  • nor rocking out the neighbors,
  • my primary use was for gaming and high quality music output (but not mixing)
  • and I had a large amount of desktop available,

then I'd look to these:

Kanto TUK $1000

Klipsch The Fives $1100

Totem Kin Play $1250

Airpulse A300 $1400 (sister company to Edifier)

And I'd use an external DAC to convert from the PC digital to either RCA or SPDIF to connect to these.

[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13796 posts
2937 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. Yes i have used camelcamel before. I have a few items there now. I am a bit anxious for speakers as my device is arriving tomorrow BUT i guess I will be a bit patient.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6413 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham
Logitech speakers
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13796 posts
2937 upvotes
Vancouver
jdmfishingonly wrote: Logitech speakers
I am still open to suggestions. I have been doing research. And i only want 2.0.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6413 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham
trellaine201 wrote: I am still open to suggestions. I have been doing research. And i only want 2.0.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers-headse ... 1552687799
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5085 posts
2078 upvotes
Vancouver
Vanatoo's - check out the reviews on YouTube as well as on web pages.
https://www.amazon.ca/Vanatoo-Transpare ... B07PCTP1B5

or near field studio monitors such as sold at Long & McQuade
https://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=depa ... lterCost=1

If you don't mind using a small amp with passive speakers, consider.

(I'm listing these trying to keep the overall cost below $1000 with nothing too esoteric)

PC feeds to DAC

ifi ZEN
Topping
Loxjie
S.M.S.L.

DAC feeds to Amplifier

S.M.S.L. SA300 class D with Infineon chipset
https://www.amazon.ca/S-M-S-L-Infineons ... B081DJD1G4

Sabaj A10A class D with infineon chipset
https://www.amazon.ca/SABAJ-Digital-Inf ... B08YHV2L65

(read about these at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php )

Amplifier feeds to small bookshelf speakers with 4 inch or 5 inch main drivers

such as:

Micca RB42
Q Acoustics Q3020i
Dali Spektor 2
Totem
etc etc etc

Sep 2, 2004
795 posts
46 upvotes
Oakville
i had the audioengine a2+ then decided to go to the kanto yu2 and was disappointed. The audioengine a2s sound better.

Worth the difference in price.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13796 posts
2937 upvotes
Vancouver
trunkzz wrote: i had the audioengine a2+ then decided to go to the kanto yu2 and was disappointed. The audioengine a2s sound better.

Worth the difference in price.
Awww how the bass in those two? Yu2? Audioengine? Thanks
Sep 2, 2004
795 posts
46 upvotes
Oakville
trellaine201 wrote: Awww how the bass in those two? Yu2? Audioengine? Thanks
Audioengine definitely for bass. I have to use a separate powered subwooofer to make up for the lack of bass on the yu2s
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13796 posts
2937 upvotes
Vancouver
Question: having speakers with DAC builtin will it make a difference in audio quality or sound?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5085 posts
2078 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote: Question: having speakers with DAC builtin will it make a difference in audio quality or sound?
Imho it is more of a convenience feature allowing you to connect directly via USB to your PC or via optical to your TV. Generally speaking, the DAC in a speaker like the YU2 is a cheap inexpensive chipset which, while functional, is not notable for audio quality. Buying an external DAC between $150 and $350 will most likely provide better sound that you can hear if the speaker is up to it. In the case of the YU2 or A2+ the speakers are not up to it in the bass department. They need a subwoofer.

I have the YU2's and they cannot get close to what my Fluance Ai40's output in the bass spectrum. The Fluance's are DSP'd but in general a 5.25 main driver beats a 3 inch every time. Bass you can feel. For bass on the desktop you'd be best to step up to at least a 4 inch main driver or go to 5.

Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18020 posts
10817 upvotes
Ottawa
NewsyL wrote: Vanatoo's - check out the reviews on YouTube as well as on web pages.
https://www.amazon.ca/Vanatoo-Transpare ... B07PCTP1B5
+1 on the Vanatoo Transparent One

They kill almost all of the non-studio monitor brands out there. Great speakers from a company that nobody never heard of.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Mar 11, 2002
904 posts
312 upvotes
trunkzz wrote: Audioengine definitely for bass. I have to use a separate powered subwooofer to make up for the lack of bass on the yu2s
I’ve been using Audioengine A5+ now for 7 years, only issue has been the cheap remote buttons will break. I added a 10” $99 Futureshop special Polk SW to round it out. I did get them on sale at the time for around $300 from NCIX way back..

At $300 worth it, at $500+ I would look at other powered speakers, there is a large thread on one of the audiophile forums regarding replacing components to improve the sound.