Aug 13, 2006
10 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Kaplan Schweser's Free Master Classes for the 2020 CFA Exam

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Kaplan Schweser
The Kaplan Schweser Master Class is a new 9-part series of free classes designed to fill the learning gaps, keep you on track, and transition your study plan to accommodate for the 2020 CFA exam postponement. Each class comprises an in-depth review of a specific section of the CFA curriculum and covers the most critical concepts for that section.

During these classes, you have the opportunity to:

Work through level-specific exam-style questions
Learn directly from and engage with CFA charterholders
Ask questions and receive instant feedback from your instructor
Classes are conducted live online and archived for your review. Each class is approximately 2 hours long, consisting of 90 minutes of content review and question practice, with the final 30 minutes dedicated to a Q&A session.

Level I Topics:

Quantitative Methods
Economics
Financial Reporting and Analysis
Corporate Finance
Equity
Fixed Income
Portfolio Management
Derivatives
Alternative Investments
Presented by:
Dr. R. Douglas Van Eaton, CFA and Vishal Awatar, CFA, ACA
Date:
June 3, 2020 - September 23, 2020

Level II Topics:

Quantitative Methods
Economics
Financial Reporting and Analysis
Corporate Finance
Equity Investments
Fixed Income
Derivatives
Alternative Investments
Portfolio Management
Presented by:
Dr. Bijesh (B.J.) Tolia, CFA, CA and Jon Bone, ACA, CFA

Date:
June 2, 2020 - September 22, 2020

Level III Topics:

Constructed Response (Institutional example); Behavioral
Behavioral and Capital Market Expectations
Asset Allocation
Options & Strategies
Currency & Hedging
Fixed Income: Aspects of Active and Passive Management
PWM: up to and including managing concentrated positions
Human Capital, Risk and Insurance
Trading; Performance Evaluation (inc. Manager selection)
Presented by:
Dr. Greg Filbeck, CFA, FRM, CAIA

Date:
June 4, 2020 - October 8, 2020
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3288 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Just a note for the RFDers out there - Registration Restrictions: Registering for more than one Kaplan Master Class will prohbit your access to all Master Classes.
Feb 8, 2011
664 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
I am a little confused, i signed up for level 3 without noticing it wasnt level one then went back and sign up for level 1 and 2 but still only 3 is showing.
got it, seems to be an issue with their checkout system, just do one course at a time.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
4077 posts
3887 upvotes
Toronto
getting invalid parameters upon sign up
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2695 posts
1991 upvotes
Calgary
My advice would be to read through the actual books from CFA as your primary studying source and use these secondary sources as a supplement.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2006
10 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
neonic wrote: Not to cr#p on this thread but this was posted here in June.

I've enrolled myself but haven't had the time to start it. Not looking good for exam in December :(
Sorry! I didn't see it. Go easy on this rookie!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2606 posts
2549 upvotes
Toronto
jarfgames wrote: My advice would be to read through the actual books from CFA as your primary studying source and use these secondary sources as a supplement.

Most of people actually suggests the other way around. Official books have all the required contents but they don't have it weighted. Those prep (Kaplan, Wiley, Meldrum,... ) knows what they do, and focus on what CFAi tests more often and what they score higher.

If you have all the time in the world, by all means go both and beyond. But I don't think the majority of test takers do...
h2oclick wrote: Sorry! I didn't see it. Go easy on this rookie!
Sorry if it sounded that way, just because I was checking out and noticed I already had it.

On a side note, their Question Bank is also free:

Code KS-QB2020
https://www.schweser.com/cfa/qbank?utm_ ... last2_June
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2695 posts
1991 upvotes
Calgary
neonic wrote: Most of people actually suggests the other way around. Official books have all the required contents but they don't have it weighted. Those prep (Kaplan, Wiley, Meldrum,... ) knows what they do, and focus on what CFAi tests more often and what they score higher.

If you have all the time in the world, by all means go both and beyond. But I don't think the majority of test takers do...
Only sharing my own experience... If you intend to pass all 3 levels, I would go in with the mindset that you are going to basically need to spend "all the time in the world" to become an expert at the materials (especially level 2!).
Jan 13, 2016
148 posts
43 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Anyone know how to export all the questions and answers in one batch instead of clicking through every question??
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2353 posts
3019 upvotes
West GTA
rcnrcnrcn wrote: Is the exam free?
Nope, it's a bit over a grand per level. Overall the CFA's pretty cheap compared to say an MBA, though considerably more specialized to investment finance / asset management.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1061 posts
302 upvotes
GVR
jarfgames wrote: Only sharing my own experience... If you intend to pass all 3 levels, I would go in with the mindset that you are going to basically need to spend "all the time in the world" to become an expert at the materials (especially level 2!).
I remember trying to read the official books once to try to get ahead (before new notes were released) for about 30 pages on a LOS that was previously in level 1 but they moved to level 2 that year. I then dug out my level 1 Schweser notes that explained the same topic in 3 pages or less and thought.."oh, that's what they're trying to explain..."

I never touched another page of the official books ever again
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2695 posts
1991 upvotes
Calgary
whiteGSR wrote: I remember trying to read the official books once to try to get ahead (before new notes were released) for about 30 pages on a LOS that was previously in level 1 but they moved to level 2 that year. I then dug out my level 1 Schweser notes that explained the same topic in 3 pages or less and thought.."oh, that's what they're trying to explain..."

I never touched another page of the official books ever again
I did try using Schweser notes once, but I found that I liked using the CFA materials more, especially the end of chapter questions that I felt more closely aligned with what ended up on the exam. No doubt it took me a bit more time, but I thought it was worth it. I did always purchase things like the Schweser test banks just to have access to tons of extra practice questions.

Lots of my colleagues used Schweser notes and did well too, in addition to things like in person classes (I didn’t do that). So I think it’s really a case of “to each their own”, although the one common denominator of people who pass all three levels is putting in the time.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1061 posts
302 upvotes
GVR
jarfgames wrote: I did try using Schweser notes once, but I found that I liked using the CFA materials more, especially the end of chapter questions that I felt more closely aligned with what ended up on the exam. No doubt it took me a bit more time, but I thought it was worth it. I did always purchase things like the Schweser test banks just to have access to tons of extra practice questions.

Lots of my colleagues used Schweser notes and did well too, in addition to things like in person classes (I didn’t do that). So I think it’s really a case of “to each their own”, although the one common denominator of people who pass all three levels is putting in the time.
Absolutely time is what is required.

Full disclosure, there was a written question on my level 3 exam in which to this day I still do not know how to answer. They say that the notes should cover about 80% of the official books so they are guessing on which are the more important stuff to focus on that will be tested. Generally the notes will steer you correctly but there may be some things that may fall through the cracks
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2695 posts
1991 upvotes
Calgary
whiteGSR wrote: Absolutely time is what is required.

Full disclosure, there was a written question on my level 3 exam in which to this day I still do not know how to answer. They say that the notes should cover about 80% of the official books so they are guessing on which are the more important stuff to focus on that will be tested. Generally the notes will steer you correctly but there may be some things that may fall through the cracks
That is exactly what I found with Schweser vs CFA materials.

Also, it’s been a few years since I last wrote a CFA exam, but they used to post their old level 3 written exams along with an answer key on the CFA website. This was very useful as a studying tool, and if available, would give you the answer to that question, if you are so inclined to find out :)