Subaru Outback
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Toyota Tacoma
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
Well, the A5 is not really a surprise considering it only came out in 2008, people still aren't finished w/ their leases yet. Combine that w/ low production number, a great looking luxury sports car and the current Audi hype, it's believable.

The RX and CR-V aren't really surprises either.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8610 posts
1080 upvotes
:arrowu: agreed. The a5 from my knowledge is still sold out and therefore will definitely fetch more.

Beautiful car.
Apr 5, 2010
835 posts
84 upvotes
They left out the 2008-current Land Cruiser/Lexus LX570.

2008's with close to 80,000 kms are still only 20-30000 off the MSRP sticker price. A 2008 escalade with same mileage and same sticker price is more like 45,000-50000 off when buying used.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
46 upvotes
iHop wrote: They left out the 2008-current Land Cruiser/Lexus LX570.

2008's with close to 80,000 kms are still only 20-30000 off the MSRP sticker price. A 2008 escalade with same mileage and same sticker price is more like 45,000-50000 off when buying used.

No one ever buys the LC/LX570 in the first place. Porsche sells more 911 Turbos than Toyota sells Land Cruisers. The US MSRP for the LC is like $70k. Why would anyone spend Cayenne S money on a live axle body on frame Toyota truck? The Canadian MSRP for the LX570 is $90k. Maybe they have high resale value on paper but I don't know why anyone would buy one new or used.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2476 posts
251 upvotes
North York
I use 2 love the unique styling of the A5...then I realized its just a 2dr version of A4.
:mad:

A5
[IMG]http://images.myride.com/images/vehicle ... 0x300).jpg[/IMG]

A4
[IMG]http://audia4-audia4.info/images/wallpa ... 32517.jpeg[/IMG]

So why the hype?
Cause Audi didn't think they'd sell many, based on the given history of non-R8/TT 2dr audi's.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27602 posts
7952 upvotes
r1lee wrote: :arrowu: agreed. The a5 from my knowledge is still sold out and therefore will definitely fetch more.
Only because Audi doesn't make enough of them, like all their other cars. If you don't make enough to supply the demand, of course they will sell out. And as another effect it helps Audi with their hype game, making things seem like such "hot sellers" that people bang down their doors to buy them.
isajoo wrote: I use 2 love the unique styling of the A5...then I realized its just a 2dr version of A4.
:mad:
You didn't know that from day one? I thought everyone did.

Don't try to tell A5 owners that because they will [attempt to] flame you citing lame differences like how the taillights are different, and how the track is different by a half inch or something, and other such nonsense. LOL. To them it's a whole other car, and they have to defend that "difference" to maintain their snobbery :rolleyes: You can point out to them how the Altima sedan and coupe are as different or more different than the A4 to the A5, yet they are still called Altima, but that still won't change their mind. Nope A5 is not even close to an A4 in the eyes of these weirdos :rolleyes:
isajoo wrote: So why the hype?
Why the hype? Because that's Audi's entire marketing philosophy--hype. That's how they sell stuff; and as above, they don't make enough to support the same hype they generate so they sell out no problem, year after year, even when they price gouge. Audi's definitely not stupid, you gotta hand it to them. While other car makers traditionally build more cars than they know what to do with (and more than they can sell), Audi makes sure they don't make cars like crazy, so they're not suffering losses of making too many cars and not being able to sell them all.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8610 posts
1080 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Only because Audi doesn't make enough of them, like all their other cars. If you don't make enough to supply the demand, of course they will sell out. And as another effect it helps Audi with their hype game, making things seem like such "hot sellers" that people bang down their doors to buy them.

And how is this a problem? I guess you are ruling out the design, drive and everything else that comes with this car? I guess if GM built limited versions of the Aztek, then this rule would apply also?

We know the general public buys cars because they look nice, prestige and drive. Limiting a car's production might be a way to drive demand, but if you dont' have either of the 3 mentioned, you won't sell squat.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
The A5 is sooo overpriced for its engine though lol. You're basically paying for its design and the Audi badge. Especially if you get the S-line option and Nav, you might as well get a lightly optioned S4, a real performance car :lol:

But sexy car nevertheless :)
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2009
1243 posts
27 upvotes
Sad they took out the 3.2 engine out for 2011.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27602 posts
7952 upvotes
r1lee wrote: And how is this a problem?
I don't think you read me right ;) It's not a problem...for Audi. They do quite well using this model. However it's a problem for the consumer because they create a fake shortage of product and therefore you end up paying more. Also you have to pay their hype/four-rings upcharge, which is a bit ridiculous.
r1lee wrote: I guess you are ruling out the design, drive and everything else that comes with this car?
Where did I say that?
r1lee wrote: I guess if GM built limited versions of the Aztek, then this rule would apply also?
Not sure what the Aztek has to do with anything but yeah if GM didn't produce so damn many cars out of their plants then maybe they wouldn't have went bankrupt. Of course then people wouldn't have been buying GMs up for cheap for decades either.

But there's gotta be a balance somewhere, between making way too many cars (GM's case) and Audi's other ridiculous case (where price gouging and hyping up stuff that has no business being hyped are the norm).
r1lee wrote: We know the general public buys cars because they look nice, prestige and drive.
So if you meet a stupid person you can easily con out of some money or property (or what have you), do you do it? Sorry that's not the way I was brought up.
r1lee wrote: Limiting a car's production might be a way to drive demand, but if you dont' have either of the 3 mentioned, you won't sell squat.
The thing is Audi doesn't really have anything the competition doesn't (and often they have it at a lower price) they just hype up stuff as if they're the only ones that have it and somehow people are stupid enough to pay their prices for it. I guess I would give them that they had the DSG for a while, but those days are numbered as more and more manufacturers are developing/using dual clutch gearboxes.

There's nothing wrong with the Audi cars themselves (those I quite like), but the problem (I have) is with how they are marketed and sold.
Deadmau555 wrote: Sad they took out the 3.2 engine out for 2011.
? 3.2L V6 sucks man. Good riddance. Aging design and the normal non-VVT 2.0T (not in the A4/A5) will make as much power with stage one aftermarket reprogramming, nevermind the VVT 2.0T these cars get. What's the point of the 3.2L? It was expensive as hell and drove like crap compared to the turbo 4cyl powerplant. Totally. Pointless. Engine. Nobody wanted it and that's why it's gone. Same with the other 3.2L, the VR6--gone as well, same story. The .:R (that we don't get) now gets the uplevel 2.0T from the S3/TT-S and it's better than the VR6 (.:R32) ever was.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1549 posts
50 upvotes
ON
ES_Revenge wrote: The thing is Audi doesn't really have anything the competition doesn't (and often they have it at a lower price) they just hype up stuff as if they're the only ones that have it and somehow people are stupid enough to pay their prices for it. I guess I would give them that they had the DSG for a while, but those days are numbered as more and more manufacturers are developing/using dual clutch gearboxes.

There's nothing wrong with the Audi cars themselves (those I quite like), but the problem (I have) is with how they are marketed and sold.

Bit off-topic... I guess you have a problem with Apple as well?!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2476 posts
251 upvotes
North York
thegradas wrote: Bit off-topic... I guess you have a problem with Apple as well?!

What wrong w/apple, its because of them we can get a 15.6" Acer laptop w/Intel dual-core, 2gb ram, 250 hdd, wifi-n and 64 bit OS(W7), all 4 the very price of $329 w/shipping.

Who wouldn't love Apple!
:razz:
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
Deadmau555 wrote: Sad they took out the 3.2 engine out for 2011.

Yeah I heard the V6 sucked, the 2.0T is better anyways.

Leave the six-cylinders to BMW =)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27602 posts
7952 upvotes
thegradas wrote: Bit off-topic... I guess you have a problem with Apple as well?!
Apple??? CrApple is one of the biggest scumbag, doucebag, no-good, companies out there. They go along with Monster Cable, Nintenblow (Wii-onwards), and Blose. Those companies are the lowest of the low.

Audi, compared to those guys, are saints!