Automotive

Keeping car parked for 2+ months - Need to do anything special?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2020 1:51 pm
[OP]
Jul 6, 2010
319 posts
600 upvotes
Not Toronto

Keeping car parked for 2+ months - Need to do anything special?

I have 2 vehicles, and one of them has barely been touched since we were all told to stay home here in Ontario. It looks like this situation is going to last another 2-3 months, so I'm thinking of suspending coverage on one of the vehicles, in which case it wouldn't even leave my driveway. If that's the case, is there anything special I should do to make sure I don't have any major issues when I start driving it again? The vehicle will be parked outside on my driveway. I've read car storage tips about not engaging parking brake, making sure fuel tank is full, adding stabilizer, etc. But I don't know if any of those are necessary in this situation?
Last edited by umopapisdnwei on Apr 2nd, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i am upside down
77 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9970 posts
2047 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure if your insurance will even allow you to reduce coverage. You wont be able to cancel it totally as you will need at least fire/theft on it. Even then what are you going to save? maybe $250? Nobody knows how long this will last and it would be better for you to drive 1 car 1 day and the other car the other day and keep switching so that everything is in good order.

If you end up not driving the car then I would also possible disconnect the battery so it does not die over a few months.
umopapisdnwei wrote: I have 2 vehicles, and one of them has barely been touched since we were all told to stay home here in Ontario. It looks like this situation is going to last another 2-3 months, so I'm thinking of suspending coverage on one of the vehicles, in which case it wouldn't even leave my driveway. If that's the case, is there anything special I should do to make sure I don't have any major issues when I start driving it again? The vehicle will be parked outside on my driveway. I've read car storage tips about not engaging parking brake, making sure fuel tank is full, adding stabilizer, etc. But I don't know if any of those are necessary in this situation?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Oct 7, 2007
570 posts
87 upvotes
Markham
Don't need to do too much but i would do this as a minimum:

Full tank of gas
Overinflate tires to prevent flatspotting
Battery tender (or you can just jump start it when putting back on road)

Since it's parked outside, i would regularly check on it to make sure small animals haven't made a home in the engine bay
Jul 5, 2004
24684 posts
4010 upvotes
I would recommend starting it up once a week and just let it run for a bit. Maybe even drive it up and down the driveway once or twice when you do start it, just to make sure the tires don't get flat spots. You can also over-inflate the tires if you don't plan on moving it at all.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7552 posts
2744 upvotes
Financial District B…
Sign yourself up for uber-eats or skipthedishes driver.
As it seems there's lots of employment there.
Two of our furloughed credit analysts are doing that exact thing now
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32110 posts
17962 upvotes
Ottawa
Just drive it once a week.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4910 posts
2267 upvotes
Mississauga
I’ve been working from home for the last three weeks and I still drive my car at least 1-2 times a week for grocery runs. While it’s sitting I at least plug in the battery tender.
May 2, 2011
990 posts
226 upvotes
Oakville, ON
What are everyone’s suggestions for a battery tender? Have seen very mixed reviews on the battery tender jr. and Noco genius. Good reviews on CTEK, but they’re well over $100.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1279 upvotes
Ontario
most insurers will allow reduction to fire & theft only (comprehensive) when you have more than the 1 vehicle on the policy with liability coverage on it.
umopapisdnwei wrote: I have 2 vehicles, and one of them has barely been touched since we were all told to stay home here in Ontario. It looks like this situation is going to last another 2-3 months, so I'm thinking of suspending coverage on one of the vehicles, in which case it wouldn't even leave my driveway. If that's the case, is there anything special I should do to make sure I don't have any major issues when I start driving it again? The vehicle will be parked outside on my driveway. I've read car storage tips about not engaging parking brake, making sure fuel tank is full, adding stabilizer, etc. But I don't know if any of those are necessary in this situation?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8567 posts
1279 upvotes
Ontario
you can call your Broker and have her amend the distance one way & annual whilst you're not driving to and from work. Then, when you return to driving it, call and change it back.
mrweather wrote: I’ve been working from home for the last three weeks and I still drive my car at least 1-2 times a week for grocery runs. While it’s sitting I at least plug in the battery tender.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8298 posts
2471 upvotes
How about drive it to an area where you can get some exercise? go for a walk or a run? Solves 2 issues especially if this goes on for weeks/months. Of course keeping in mind the social distancing rules
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"

"There are no bad teams, only bad leaders.”
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12525 posts
6408 upvotes
Toronto
No different than what you would do for off season storage
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14954 posts
4186 upvotes
London
blexann wrote: How about drive it to an area where you can get some exercise? go for a walk or a run? Solves 2 issues especially if this goes on for weeks/months. Of course keeping in mind the social distancing rules
Good idea, although a lot of parks are officially closed. This was Sunnyside beach (closed) yesterday before the tow trucks and bylaw showed up

https://www.cp24.com/news/we-are-doing- ... -1.4878935

Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10416 posts
3070 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: WTF. People really aren't getting it. This city is full of idiots.
You go beserk when people go outside for fresh air and extremely easy to keep the 2m+ apart, but you are ok when you have to go to super market or gas station where germs and viruses are galore.

You do know this is not airborne disease right?

If supermarkets are not closed, then for sure parks, tennis courts and tracks shouldn't be closed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)