Cell Phones

Keeping old numbers, any cheap solution?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2021 9:29 pm
[OP]
Oct 1, 2019
75 posts
22 upvotes

Keeping old numbers, any cheap solution?

I have 2 mobile numbers that I keep active but cost $ even on prepaid. I have contacts on there and use some of these numbers for security for accessing web services and password recoveries. As much as I need to keep the numbers, I need to at least be able to receive texts and have voice mail

Any suggestions appreciated.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7183 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TextNow? voip.ms?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17242 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
7-eleven Speak out?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1895 posts
416 upvotes
$99 for a year of prepaid through freedom
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1431 posts
1009 upvotes
Montreal, QC
slotsdisco wrote: I have 2 mobile numbers that I keep active but cost $ even on prepaid. I have contacts on there and use some of these numbers for security for accessing web services and password recoveries. As much as I need to keep the numbers, I need to at least be able to receive texts and have voice mail

Any suggestions appreciated.
Depending on how long you want to continually keep the numbers for, I would say the cheapest is Fongo with the one time payment for porting your cellphone numbers and no charge for incoming texts and no re-occurring monthly charges. Outgoing Canadian calling to major cities is free. Data or WiFi is required.

There is also voip.ms (https://www.voip.ms) which is free to port the number to but will carry a monthly charge. Incoming texts are not free and there are per minute charges for receiving phone calls.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1431 posts
1009 upvotes
Montreal, QC
VivienM wrote: TextNow? voip.ms?
The last time I checked, TextNow doesn't allow for porting a number to their service (at least not a Canadian number).