• Sep 13th, 2016 12:47 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa

Kenneling your dog

A reminder to people who use boarding facilities like this. While most claim 24 hour supervision, the reality is very few actually have it. Hopefully there will be criminal and civil charges laid.

RIP pups :(

Playful Paws pet Centre

"According to the employee, a second-story room housing the large-breed dogs became uncomfortably warm late Friday afternoon. The temperature increased into the evening. Before employees left for the night, fans were placed in the room.

When employees arrived for work Saturday morning, the dogs were dead."
11 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Just sickening; this happened in my city. Hoping they get charged, too. They knew there was a problem, and they still left. They should have turned the heat off, it's not that cold here now to need it. They had advertised the dogs are under constant supervision...

Their fb page

https://www.facebook.com/PlayfulPawsPC/?fref=nf
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I'm surprised the FB page is still there. Some of the dog owners are posting, heartbreaking.
I can't believe that no one stayed with the dogs, or at least checked on them, knowing that there was a problem.
And they also opened for business that day, wtf?

The owner is also the Canadian Tire owner from what I've read?
May 12, 2009
814 posts
380 upvotes
I can't even imagine. I'll give my mutt some extra kisses tonight.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
It is just horrible. I was waiting for it to be shown on the news, but I didn't see it, thankfully. My imagination of the event is bad enough. I too hope that serious charges are laid and that the facility is shut down.

Unfortunately, I am not optimistic that the kennel will be shut down, or if it is, it will reopen under another name.

I sincerely hope that anyone who has used this kennel in the past will refrain from doing so in the future. I am not optimistic about this either.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26013 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
natalka wrote: Just sickening; this happened in my city. Hoping they get charged, too. They knew there was a problem, and they still left. They should have turned the heat off, it's not that cold here now to need it. They had advertised the dogs are under constant supervision...

Their fb page

It looks like the temperatures have dipped well into the single digits over the last several nights (including that particular night), so the need for heat is debatable. That being said, if the heat being provided (even with a malfunction) could get so bad during an overnight period that it caused all the dogs to die, then there are some definite ventilation issues with the place.

I wonder how many other kennels are operating like this, with animals left overnight unsupervised (and how many of the owners are aware of it)? A similar tragedy could certainly happen in minutes in the event of a fire or flood (even though an appropriately equipped place would have sensors/alarms for this).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Disgusting. They knew there was an issue - why the hell were the dogs left unattended? I would bring them home with me before I would leave them alone in an "uncomforably warm" windowless room! WFT??? Grrrr.

I never leave our dogs at a kennel. We have a dog sitter come and stay with them at our home, or else my mom flies in and stays.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
toguy wrote:
natalka wrote: Just sickening; this happened in my city. Hoping they get charged, too. They knew there was a problem, and they still left. They should have turned the heat off, it's not that cold here now to need it. They had advertised the dogs are under constant supervision...

Their fb page

It looks like the temperatures have dipped well into the single digits over the last several nights (including that particular night), so the need for heat is debatable. That being said, if the heat being provided (even with a malfunction) could get so bad during an overnight period that it caused all the dogs to die, then there are some definite ventilation issues with the place.

I wonder how many other kennels are operating like this, with animals left overnight unsupervised (and how many of the owners are aware of it)? A similar tragedy could certainly happen in minutes in the event of a fire or flood (even though an appropriately equipped place would have sensors/alarms for this).
There was a kennel fire at a boarding facility a few years ago in St. Lazare (a friend lost her dog there). Like I said, very few actually do have 24/7 supervision.

Kennel Fire