• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2018 4:21 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2005
317 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Kerdi Shower Base for Linear Drain + Denshield Walls

We are renovating our bathroom, and looking to see what your thoughts are if we installed a Kerdi Shower Base with Denshield Walls? Should the entire system be Kerdi? Or can we break it up? What are the pros and cons of breaking it up?
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16787 posts
7027 upvotes
If using Denshield I would make sure you are doing some additional reading because things like seams need to still be handled. John Bridge's forum is great for this as it's a bunch of actual tile setters. Here is a link, and a thread, about someone using Denshield in the shower:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/sho ... hp?t=98426

Personally I would just use Kerdi for the whole thing but I know that Kerdi can be expensive and not in everyone's budget. So if using Denshield make sure you follow their directions and research how to keep it water tight.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4118 upvotes
Ottawa
Kerdi drain, kerdi membrane, sandbase, denshield.

Best bang for your buck that will do what you need it to do.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4353 posts
3802 upvotes
Toronto
I guess you're looking at Denshield because Kerdiboard is twice the price. Keep in mind that with the Schulter Kerdi shower base, you still need to buy a roll of Kerdi (the fabric) to put on top of the foam base, so you'll have a lot of the roll left over (enough for the long wall). If you want to really save money, you can put up regular drywall for your long wall and cover it up with your remaining Kerdi, then use Denshield for the two short walls. Some make freak out that you're mixing systems, but as long as the transitions are waterproofed, it'll be fine.

Alternatively, I think people sell extra Kerdi on Kijiji, if you just want enough for your shower base and not an entire roll.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
258 upvotes
TrevorK advice is good. the john bridge site is a wealth of info. any question you have as a DIYer will likely have been answered there.

OP - if you are going to use dens shield then i would kerdi the seams. in the grand scheme of things not sure how much you would save doing this vs using regular drywall and full kerdi on the walls. but as long as you are using some form of waterproofing you should be good
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2163 posts
358 upvotes
In the process of doing my two bathrooms with linear drains. I used Hardiebacker boards, sealant between the adjoining pieces and used Mapei Aquadefense on the floor and walls. Mapei LFT mortar for tiles.
May 15, 2015
108 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
I used all your base materials but for the walls I used the kerdi roll that's about 4" wide and used that to lap the wall to the base, then Redguard on the backer board.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1611 posts
125 upvotes
Toronto
baymoe wrote: In the process of doing my two bathrooms with linear drains. I used Hardiebacker boards, sealant between the adjoining pieces and used Mapei Aquadefense on the floor and walls. Mapei LFT mortar for tiles.
What did you use for the shower base?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2004
2163 posts
358 upvotes
anom wrote: What did you use for the shower base?
Plywood floor on top of joists shaved to provide the right slope towards the drain. 3 to 4 coats of waterproofing especially around the joints although Mapei only calls for 2. I wouldn't rely too heavily for kerdi/paint on waterproofing to be your main barrier. Tiles and sealed grout lines should be sound to ensure a leakproof shower.

Mapei Aqua Defense is rated to be in place of a shower liner in case you're wondering.