Off Topic

Kevin O'Leary involved in fatal boat crash. 2 dead. 1 man. 1 woman died from brain injuries.

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 2:16 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
8366 posts
1251 upvotes
Vancouver
Settle down boys.

Back on topic the law suit claims they didn’t have a boating license? Getting a boating license is so easy in Canada I’d be surprised if both O’Leary and his wife didn’t have them. Considering they for sure had boat insurance and a pricey boat
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
24975 posts
4213 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Question? If your innocent and your wife is innocent why hire the best lawyer money can buy?
Because in this country, the difference between guilt and innocence is often a lawyer. There's a reason the system will provide you with a lawyer in many criminal cases if you can't afford one, because it's just not feasible for the average person to represent themselves and not end up in jail.

The civil court system is no different, except instead of jail, the end result is a large payout. A good lawyer turns a large payout into a small one or potentially nothing at all.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
24975 posts
4213 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Settle down boys.

Back on topic the law suit claims they didn’t have a boating license? Getting a boating license is so easy in Canada I’d be surprised if both O’Leary and his wife didn’t have them. Considering they for sure had boat insurance and a pricey boat
This is typical in lawsuits. They will claim everything under the sun, no matter how easy it is to prove otherwise.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2394 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: This is typical in lawsuits. They will claim everything under the sun, no matter how easy it is to prove otherwise.
I tried to explain that in my last post.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8518 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
Shaner wrote: Because in this country, the difference between guilt and innocence is often a lawyer. There's a reason the system will provide you with a lawyer in many criminal cases if you can't afford one, because it's just not feasible for the average person to represent themselves and not end up in jail.

The civil court system is no different, except instead of jail, the end result is a large payout. A good lawyer turns a large payout into a small one or potentially nothing at all.
I think everyone is missing my point. The accident happened on August 24 late at night. He immediately tried to deflect blame away from himself and put it on the other boat. He then goes out and hires the best lawyer money can buy even though he claims they are innocent. The Opp had already stated that "cough cough" alcohol wasn't involved.

Exactly 1 month later charges are laid.

I don't get in any trouble with the law but being questioned about something dosent make me lawyer up immediately until I'm in trouble.

I still believe there is more to this story. It's either going to disappear or shits gonna hit the fan. Time will tell.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35494 posts
9518 upvotes
Ottawa
antigua1999 wrote: I think everyone is missing my point. The accident happened on August 24 late at night. He immediately tried to deflect blame away from himself and put it on the other boat. He then goes out and hires the best lawyer money can buy even though he claims they are innocent. The Opp had already stated that "cough cough" alcohol wasn't involved.

Exactly 1 month later charges are laid.

I don't get in any trouble with the law but being questioned about something dosent make me lawyer up immediately until I'm in trouble.

I still believe there is more to this story. It's either going to disappear or shits gonna hit the fan. Time will tell.
You are correct about you not "lawyer up" but, those in higher positions, famous or rich always lawyer up because they will always be sued by someone. Suing the rich and famous is a game.
It is like phone scammers, so many calls but only a few get sucked in but that is enough to pay off. So it is with celebrities. Do they want their names dragged through or pay off a bit to make it go away? There are a lot of lawyers out there just waiting for this kind of thing, it costs you nothing unless they win and then they take part of what you win.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
899 posts
454 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: I think everyone is missing my point. The accident happened on August 24 late at night. He immediately tried to deflect blame away from himself and put it on the other boat. He then goes out and hires the best lawyer money can buy even though he claims they are innocent. The Opp had already stated that "cough cough" alcohol wasn't involved.

Exactly 1 month later charges are laid.

I don't get in any trouble with the law but being questioned about something dosent make me lawyer up immediately until I'm in trouble.

I still believe there is more to this story. It's either going to disappear or shits gonna hit the fan. Time will tell.
Dude we got your point. It’s not rocket science.

Except you’re missing the point. This isn’t average jon doe... this guy is worth 500 million dollars.
There’s a bit of a difference .
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8518 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
Doebird wrote: Dude we got your point. It’s not rocket science.

Except you’re missing the point. This isn’t average jon doe... this guy is worth 500 million dollars.
There’s a bit of a difference .
Sorry innocent is innocent feeling guilty requires a lawyer.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2394 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: Sorry innocent is innocent feeling guilty requires a lawyer.
Your privilege is showing.

Many people have been found guilty of crimes they did not commit because of simply talking to authorities, they use what you say against you and omit facts that can assist you. You speak about respect and maturity but from this post I'm not sure how much of the real world you know.
Last edited by WMPCOT on Nov 13th, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
24975 posts
4213 upvotes
Stop the bickering. No one else wants to read it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6666 posts
949 upvotes
Ottawa
antigua1999 wrote: Sorry innocent is innocent feeling guilty requires a lawyer.
No, it's not. Hiring a lawyer is in no way a sign of guilt. If you were to suggest it in a courtroom, you'd be laughed out of the room.

Even if you are innocent, hiring a lawyer makes a lot of sense. If you have a lot of money, hiring a good (expensive) lawyer makes even more sense.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8518 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
ConsoleWatcher wrote: No, it's not. Hiring a lawyer is in no way a sign of guilt. If you were to suggest it in a courtroom, you'd be laughed out of the room.

Even if you are innocent, hiring a lawyer makes a lot of sense. If you have a lot of money, hiring a good (expensive) lawyer makes even more sense.
The point I'm trying to make that everyone keeps missing is the time frame.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
24975 posts
4213 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: The point I'm trying to make that everyone keeps missing is the time frame.
The point you're missing though is that you're opinion isn't necessarily reality. You have a certain belief but others have different opinions. You associate him immediately hiring a lawyer as guilt, but most don't see it that way, and I can guarantee that everyone involved in the legal system wouldn't see it your way either. If a lawyer may be needed at some point, why wait? Why not get a lawyer involved before the police investigation even starts?

So while you're entitled to your opinion, I don't think most see it your way.

ps. On a personal level, I know someone who got in a bar fight and killed a guy. The very next morning he hired a good lawyer. The police investigated and in the end decided that it was self-defence and the guy dying was a freak accident. No charges of any kind were laid. Would that have been the case if he didn't hire a lawyer right away? Who knows, but there's a realistic chance the police would have laid charges and let the courts work it out.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8518 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
Shaner wrote: The point you're missing though is that you're opinion isn't necessarily reality. You have a certain belief but others have different opinions. You associate him immediately hiring a lawyer as guilt, but most don't see it that way, and I can guarantee that everyone involved in the legal system wouldn't see it your way either. If a lawyer may be needed at some point, why wait? Why not get a lawyer involved before the police investigation even starts?

So while you're entitled to your opinion, I don't think most see it your way.

ps. On a personal level, I know someone who got in a bar fight and killed a guy. The very next morning he hired a good lawyer. The police investigated and in the end decided that it was self-defence and the guy dying was a freak accident. No charges of any kind were laid. Would that have been the case if he didn't hire a lawyer right away? Who knows, but there's a realistic chance the police would have laid charges and let the courts work it out.
You are correct most people dont see it my way. No problem. I still believe he is feeling guilty about his role that night. Time will hopefully give closure.

Top