Off Topic

Kevin O'Leary involved in fatal boat crash. 2 dead. 1 man. 1 woman died from brain injuries.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 2:16 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Direct link to CBC article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/oleary-b ... -1.5373589

Finally some facts!

What struck me first time I quickly read this article was:

1. Mrs O'Leary getting a 3-day driving suspension which seems to indicate a blood alcohol level between 0.5 and 0.8%
2. There was one lady witness on O'Leary's boat, I'm sure the police got a statement from her which hopefully is truthful
3. Twelve passengers on the boat that was struck who claim their boat was "well lit" at the time of the crash

As to point 1 - First of all, who would be stupid enough to have an alcoholic drink after just hitting another boat where people were injured.
This was a substantial collision, not a little nick that caused a dent in the boat.
But let's assume that is true - there is no way one drink of vodka would have brought the blood alcohol level up past a reading of 0.5%
One can get an idea what the levels would be: https://www.blitzresults.com/en/alcohol/

As to point 3 - Is it really credible that all 12 people on the "Edwards boat" are lying when they say that their boat was "well lit?"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8517 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
krs wrote: Direct link to CBC article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/oleary-b ... -1.5373589

Finally some facts!

What struck me first time I quickly read this article was:

1. Mrs O'Leary getting a 3-day driving suspension which seems to indicate a blood alcohol level between 0.5 and 0.8%
2. There was one lady witness on O'Leary's boat, I'm sure the police got a statement from her which hopefully is truthful
3. Twelve passengers on the boat that was struck who claim their boat was "well lit" at the time of the crash

As to point 1 - First of all, who would be stupid enough to have an alcoholic drink after just hitting another boat where people were injured.
This was a substantial collision, not a little nick that caused a dent in the boat.
But let's assume that is true - there is no way one drink of vodka would have brought the blood alcohol level up past a reading of 0.5%
One can get an idea what the levels would be: https://www.blitzresults.com/en/alcohol/

As to point 3 - Is it really credible that all 12 people on the "Edwards boat" are lying when they say that their boat was "well lit?"
My spokian eyebrow alert. Alcohol is now in the picture as I stated.

To point #1 I ask the same question who is going to have a drink after hitting another boat. 1 drink will not bring you into .05 to .08 range. Where did this drink come from?

I have always been curious and never read it anywhere why Kevin wasn't driving?

More to come in this drama stay tuned.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8517 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
trucanuck wrote: Is it possible Kevin was driving, but his wife was more sober so they claimed she was the driver?
I always thought that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
trucanuck wrote: Is it possible Kevin was driving, but his wife was more sober so they claimed she was the driver?
Well, there was another person on Kevin's boat, so there is a good chance we will find out the truth eventually.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4887 upvotes
Here 'n There
Ms. O'Leary is driving a boat, smashes into another one, sends 2 people to the hospital, but not for a second doesn't think to herself "Oh I better not have a drink now as I might have to take a breathalyzer test?" or her husband, obviously a very smart and savvy person, does not warn her not to? This certainly suggests that this is more likely just a convenient excuse for someone who was inebriated while driving a boat and is trying to pretend she was sober at the time.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13214 posts
2561 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Well, well, well... I like how all the trolls kept saying I was wrong and shit. Now the truth comes to light. Guilty as charged. O'Learys are liars. Yet he's all happy on Shark Tank acting like the usual buffoon after killing 2 peeps. *welp* Watch all the usual russian trolls attack this post. LMAO! :twisted: :facepalm: Smiling Face With Sunglasses
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
It has been over a year since this happened.
Any updates?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Thanks PH.
Nice summary, but nothing really new.
"Moonless night" has come up a few times in the thread and also in the article.
Was that ever confirmed?
The moon was in the last quarter on the date of the accident - people on the pontoon boat were star-gazing so I assume it was not overcast.
How exactly was that a moonless night I wonder.
Aug 4, 2003
733 posts
76 upvotes
Edmonton
Dunno from the article it says two separate videos show the other boat didn't have its lights on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8114 posts
4632 upvotes
Kootenays
krs wrote: Thanks PH.
Nice summary, but nothing really new.
"Moonless night" has come up a few times in the thread and also in the article.
Was that ever confirmed?
The moon was in the last quarter on the date of the accident - people on the pontoon boat were star-gazing so I assume it was not overcast.
How exactly was that a moonless night I wonder.
A moon in its last quarter doesn't rise above the horizon until 4 or 5 am.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21136 posts
23347 upvotes
Toronto
eonibm wrote: Ms. O'Leary is driving a boat, smashes into another one, sends 2 people to the hospital, but not for a second doesn't think to herself "Oh I better not have a drink now as I might have to take a breathalyzer test?" or her husband, obviously a very smart and savvy person, does not warn her not to? This certainly suggests that this is more likely just a convenient excuse for someone who was inebriated while driving a boat and is trying to pretend she was sober at the time.
This is a common, shady , move the lawyers suggest for DUIs. You rush home and have a drink to 'steady your nerves'. It makes it much harder to prove you were intoxicated during the actual crash. Crappy for sure but happens a lot .
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15466 posts
4611 upvotes
London
trick91 wrote: Dunno from the article it says two separate videos show the other boat didn't have its lights on.

Article says that cops did charge the driver of the pontoon boat for not having lights:
...........for investigators, they had become confident enough that the Edwards boat was unlit at the time of the collision that they soon charged Ruh with failing to exhibit navigation lights while under way, punishable by a fine under the shipping act...............
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2320 posts
18717 upvotes
According to unsealed search warrant documents obtained by CBC News, the navigation light on the Edwards boat was turned off before 11:30 p.m., when the O'Leary boat collided with it, fatally injuring two of its passengers: Brito, 48, of Uxbridge, Ont., and 64-year-old Gary Poltash of Florida.

While the court documents do little to shed light on what happened the night of the crash, the O'Leary civil claim gives a clearer picture of the extent of Linda O'Leary's injuries.

The claim against Edwards and Ruh seeks $1 million for Linda O'Leary to compensate for "pain, suffering, emotional distress and loss of enjoyment of life." The claim also seeks $2 million for Kevin O'Leary, who appears on the U.S. reality TV show Shark Tank, for "loss of income."

The legal action reveals that Linda O'Leary's injuries to her right foot required the removal of cartilage and the insertion of three plates and screws, and that "the joints in her right foot will remain fused and immobile."

According to the claim, she "suffered psychological trauma and emotional distress" and has not been able to work since the crash. It said her husband was forced to cancel a number of paid appearances because of the publicity generated by the crash.

Would be interesting to know if Linda O'Leary sought medical help (in house or called an ambulance) before she decided to have a drink.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sister-o ... -1.5719975