• Feb 18th, 2018 3:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2476 upvotes

Keyless locks

Hi, can you tell me what’s the best type of keyless locks there are for a home? I’ve seen

http://www.kaba-adsamericas.com/solutio ... -1000.html

at a lot of hotels and lodges but I’ve also seen Schlages in a lot of reviews. Is it better to go mechanical or wholly electric? How about the kind that unlocks via your smartphone or Bluetooth? I don’t know where to start!
14 replies
[OP]
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2476 upvotes
Gee wrote: Do you currently have any other home automation setup?
No but I'm planning on it in the future.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
199 upvotes
Markham, ON
If you are the type of person who misplace stuff all the time it might not be a good idea to put the key in your phone as well. A phone is not as light as a key.

A key is easy to carry and not easily breakable. It's only inconvenient when you are a caretaker or janitor and has to carry too many keys.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8188 posts
2827 upvotes
Maple
Keyless is great for kids, no more carrying key. Using keyless almost 3 years. Even it's good for adults.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33812 posts
7453 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
vivibaby wrote: No but I'm planning on it in the future.
Decide on which system you plan to use for your home automation. If you’re a do it yourself type, the look at Z-Wave and get a Z-Wave door lock.

If you haphazardly setup your home automation, you’ll end up with multiple apps to control multiple things.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33812 posts
7453 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
eldiablo wrote: Many electronic locks are as not secure as people actually believe. I would actually talk to a locksmith for their advice.
I've seen that video. Apparently, anyone can break into a keyless lock with a drill.

My answer to this, if someone really wants to get into your house, it doesn't matter what lock you have. they will smash a window.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
Ya, aren't you guys afraid someone can hack and unlock? Haven't you watched enough I Robot, etc to realize it's bound to be vulnerable? Just like having cams inside your home accessible via internet.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
Gee wrote: I've seen that video. Apparently, anyone can break into a keyless lock with a drill.

My answer to this, if someone really wants to get into your house, it doesn't matter what lock you have. they will smash a window.
To mitigate I would buy that film for the window to render very unbreakable.

True, if they really want in, they'll get in, but why have possible (avoidable) vulnerabilities? I assume keyless is more a convenience thing vs more security compared to reg locks?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33812 posts
7453 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The best defense is to slow down the intruders. It's okay to have a keyless lock. Just add a security system with monitoring and CCTV cameras.

If they get past the door, they have 30 seconds to enter a security code. While this is happening, the security cameras have captured their actions.
tranquility922 wrote: Just like having cams inside your home accessible via internet.
Take still photos and have them emailed to you
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4573 upvotes
Montréal
Gee wrote: The best defense is to slow down the intruders. It's okay to have a keyless lock. Just add a security system with monitoring and CCTV cameras.

If they get past the door, they have 30 seconds to enter a security code. While this is happening, the security cameras have captured their actions.

Take still photos and have them emailed to you
I don't understand your last para.

Those w keyless, I assume you have a physical bolt when you're going to bed lest there a real danger of hacking/electronic glitz that could unlock?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33812 posts
7453 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tranquility922 wrote: I don't understand your last para.

Those w keyless, I assume you have a physical bolt when you're going to bed lest there a real danger of hacking/electronic glitz that could unlock?
The lock is your first line of defense. The second line of defense is the monitored security system. The third line is the CCTV camera. Which can take still photos and emailed in case the thief steals your NVR

If you're home sleeping, turn on the alarm at night.
Jan 27, 2016
67 posts
45 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Op. The lock in your link is a latch lock. You need a deadbolt. Kaba makes a 7000 series pushbutton deadbolt. It's all mechanical and you never have to replace batteries. They're grade 1 locks and very strong. I've had mine for 10+ years and my friends have had theirs for 25+. They're not smart but never fail.