• Jun 13th, 2021 9:37 am
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
299 posts
154 upvotes
Ontario

KFC gift card is defected, but no where to go to fix the problem

Hi,

I have a KFC gift card that has $100 on it, but I haven't been able to use the card because the card is defected. The clerks at a KFC said, the card simply was not working with a device. I told the guy, this is a brand new card and never been used, so eventually, they used the numbers on the card and it worked. I also checked the balance online and now it shows $90 on the card. The stupid part of the situation is that when I went to another KFC and tell them to use the numbers instead of swiping it on a device, but they said they couldn't get an option to punch the numbers. The worst part of this situation is that I've contact to KFC through facebook, but no answer. I called to KFC customer service, and the lady said, there's nothing they can do literally. Does $90+ gift card mean nothing to them? Where do I go from here? Are there any other places that I can contact? Market Place? BBO? Please let me know. Thanks.

*If you are not going to contribute to the problem I have directly, just move on.
12 replies
Oct 1, 2003
523 posts
243 upvotes
Vancouver
Almost the same thing happened to me. I had a KFC gift card for $50. Couldn't use it at the location I usually go to. Card reader couldn't read it, and they had no option to punch it in manually. Called "Head Office", and, like your experience, it seems they have nothing to do with these gift cards. It's like they are run by some 3rd-party or something. I tried other KFCs until I finally found one that was able to punch in the number manually. It was actually one in a food court. Fortunately, it was near my work, and I just went there for a few lunches.

Sounds like you can, at least, use it at one location. Maybe that's your only option.

I believe you can use that same gift card at Pizza Hut or TacoBell. Maybe that can be another option too? If, they can read the card.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1684 posts
2442 upvotes
West
Can the location that punched the number in for you sell your a $90 gift card, and use yours as a method of payment? Almost like an artificial re-issue of the card?
Oct 1, 2003
523 posts
243 upvotes
Vancouver
Phonophoresis wrote: Can the location that punched the number in for you sell your a $90 gift card, and use yours as a method of payment? Almost like an artificial re-issue of the card?
I actually tried that at the food court location (see above), but they couldn't do it. Maybe the OP can try, and might have better luck.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1020 posts
1534 upvotes
scarborough
can you place your order thru the KFC app and then pickup

the reason they wont key in the number is because the store can be charged back if there is a dispute. all card need to be swiped not keyed. that way the store showed thy had a physical card that was swiped. also prevents fraud
Dec 22, 2007
861 posts
482 upvotes
Mississauga
ludwig3 wrote: Hi,

I have a KFC gift card that has $100 on it, but I haven't been able to use the card because the card is defected. The clerks at a KFC said, the card simply was not working with a device. I told the guy, this is a brand new card and never been used, so eventually, they used the numbers on the card and it worked. I also checked the balance online and now it shows $90 on the card. The stupid part of the situation is that when I went to another KFC and tell them to use the numbers instead of swiping it on a device, but they said they couldn't get an option to punch the numbers. The worst part of this situation is that I've contact to KFC through facebook, but no answer. I called to KFC customer service, and the lady said, there's nothing they can do literally. Does $90+ gift card mean nothing to them? Where do I go from here? Are there any other places that I can contact? Market Place? BBO? Please let me know. Thanks.

*If you are not going to contribute to the problem I have directly, just move on.
on the back of the card is there any contact info? I would say the headoffice is off base as saying they don't have anything to do with the gift card as it would be rather odd to have someone create it with their branding on it.

searched google for kfc gift card and this came up as one of the first links https://www.kfc.ca/gift-cards
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17070 posts
14448 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
DeletedMemories wrote: on the back of the card is there any contact info? I would say the headoffice is off base as saying they don't have anything to do with the gift card as it would be rather odd to have someone create it with their branding on it.

searched google for kfc gift card and this came up as one of the first links https://www.kfc.ca/gift-cards
This

Curious WHERE you got this GC ?

Knowing that GCs can be bought in so many ways now ... besides just direct from the Retailer it’s for
Jan 17, 2013
719 posts
297 upvotes
DeletedMemories wrote: on the back of the card is there any contact info? I would say the headoffice is off base as saying they don't have anything to do with the gift card as it would be rather odd to have someone create it with their branding on it.

https://www.kfc.ca/gift-cards

The KFC® gift card is available in $10 and $25 denominations. Get yours today at these participating locations.

Those cards that have issues are in $100 and $50 denominations.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2529 posts
6301 upvotes
Canada
explorer11 wrote: can you place your order thru the KFC app and then pickup

the reason they wont key in the number is because the store can be charged back if there is a dispute. all card need to be swiped not keyed. that way the store showed thy had a physical card that was swiped. also prevents fraud
The App and Online Ordering System do not accept KFC gift cards.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
299 posts
154 upvotes
Ontario
doobievibes wrote: Sounds like you can, at least, use it at one location. Maybe that's your only option.
It seems like the situation is worse than I thought.

Phonophoresis wrote: Can the location that punched the number in for you sell your a $90 gift card, and use yours as a method of payment? Almost like an artificial re-issue of the card?
Yeah, I also tried that but they said no.

explorer11 wrote: can you place your order thru the KFC app and then pickup

You can't use this gift card online. Offline in-store only. I'm not sure why they would think it's a fraud. If you punch the numbers in, the balance shows up.

Yup. that's the only link, and only information related to gift cards. On the back, there are only web addresses from KFC, Tacobell, and PizzaHut.

PointsHubby wrote: Curious WHERE you got this GC ?
It was actually bought from a local KFC and gifted to me.

I'm totally stuck with 90s customer service.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3102 posts
1110 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a FYI - the reason they don't care to help you much is each location is a franchise (independently owned) - and for HeadOffice, they already got the money when the GC was purchased.
Feb 3, 2021
93 posts
26 upvotes
Did you call the number on the back of the card? I'm pretty sure they have a legal obligation of some sort to replace the card and/or ensure you can redeem the funds. It's unfortunate that "Head Office" was no help, however it may have just been incompetence in that the person you were talking to didn't care enough to figure out who could actually resolve this for you, some QSRs contract Gift Cards out to an independent service that manages them for them... lol Let me know if you've gotten this resolved or not, 'cause there must be some way for them to correct this, Yum! is a massive organization, you being shafted like this wouldn't be their desired outcome... lol
Akitakara wrote: Just a FYI - the reason they don't care to help you much is each location is a franchise (independently owned) - and for HeadOffice, they already got the money when the GC was purchased.
Not necessarily. Some Franchisees care about their consumers and depending on how the GC system is set up the Franchisor may have significant interest in assuring those funds get converted to purchases they get a percentage of.[Ex: In an instance where the funds are held and administered by a 3rd Party] Even if you as a Franchisor have access to GC Funds you're an unethical imbecile if you think it's a savvy strategy to make the funds difficult to redeem into sales at your shops... You'd be much better off ensuring consumers stay happy and have confidence in purchasing your GC's, plus you earn general revenue that doesn't need to be accounted for like GC funds when consumers make purchases at your shops anyways...