Food & Drink

KFC Introduces A Secret Weapon In The Food War?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2019 2:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto

KFC Introduces A Secret Weapon In The Food War?

KFC announced it will introduce a new sandwich in hopes of leaving Popeye's and controversial Chick-A-Fil'e in the dust.

A new chicken sandwich that will have a crispy chicken patty nestled between "2 delicious glazed sugar donuts" . Are these like Tim Horton's glazed donuts I presume?

Lets see how this gimmick proceeds......
Last edited by MusicBox on Sep 19th, 2019 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4360 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote: its the same size as a quarter?
Looking at the photo, if those are Krispy Kreme size donuts then that would be a rather tiny sandwich! I guess they could go smaller and use Tiny Toms instead!!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12441 posts
7032 upvotes
Brampton
Just bring back the double down as a regular item.

Or a Double Down wrapped in a Gordita shell
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17497 posts
4582 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: If you're in Southern Ontario and want to try this... drive down to Pittsburgh Face With Tears Of Joy
Too bad CNE is done. Epic burger in the food building already has a great doughnut burger available in both chicken & beef. lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6506 posts
2510 upvotes
Sounds gross, seriously. Donuts as buns for a fried chicken sandwich doesn't sound very tasty at all
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46885 posts
10015 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Thats disgusting... you don’t have to be over the top unhealthy gross to taste good...

I once made a cheese burger with the cheapest brioche buns from no frills... tasted amazing.
The most over loooked thing in a sandwhich... good bread. I swear sandwiches started as a thing to flavor your bread so you can eat more of it...
Not using the bread as an after thought to hold your fillings.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10520 posts
4638 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Thats disgusting... you don’t have to be over the top unhealthy gross to taste good...

I once made a cheese burger with the cheapest brioche buns from no frills... tasted amazing.
The most over loooked thing in a sandwhich... good bread. I swear sandwiches started as a thing to flavor your bread so you can eat more of it...
Not using the bread as an after thought to hold your fillings.
This is exactly why I can't wrap my head around the whole "lettuce wrapped" options at restaurants now.

The bloody bun is what makes a good burger great!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28021 posts
13615 upvotes
Am I a mutant with a small mouth or does that look impossible to eat.

A regular donut is perfectly edible by a normal human.
Two donuts stacked could be crammed. Maybe.
Two donuts and a tall piece of chicken? Are you a snake pretending to be human that can unhinge your jaw?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4360 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: This is exactly why I can't wrap my head around the whole "lettuce wrapped" options at restaurants now.
The bloody bun is what makes a good burger great!
It's just the burger chains catering to the Atkins/low carb dieters. Since in a burger, the carbs are all in the bun; inside it's meat, cheese, and veggies (the carbs would come in the form of sugar in the condiments, or any natural sugars in the veggies). I'm not on any diet but I've done this at home if I don't have any fresh buns and don't feel like making a special trip to get some. The lettuce adds a nice extra "crunch" to the experience.

It's been on the In-N-Out "secret" menu for years -- ask for protein style and they replace the bun with lettuce leaves.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10520 posts
4638 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: It's just the burger chains catering to the Atkins/low carb dieters. Since in a burger, the carbs are all in the bun; inside it's meat, cheese, and veggies (the carbs would come in the form of sugar in the condiments, or any natural sugars in the veggies). I'm not on any diet but I've done this at home if I don't have any fresh buns and don't feel like making a special trip to get some. The lettuce adds a nice extra "crunch" to the experience.

It's been on the In-N-Out "secret" menu for years -- ask for protein style and they replace the bun with lettuce leaves.
Oh, I know why it is done. I just can't do it. Also, the crunch of the lettuce is still there, it is just between the bun and the tomato where it belongs. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4360 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Oh, I know why it is done. I just can't do it. Also, the crunch of the lettuce is still there, it is just between the bun and the tomato where it belongs. :)
I guess I should add, "catering" to a certain diet choice is OK with me -- a low-carb option, a vegetarian option, etc. I'm not forced to order it.
Whenever I go to In-N-Out or any restaurant I never order protein style...

What I disapprove of is what we saw going on at CFA opening day. When these groups were insisting the chain change its concept to suit their needs, or else be shut down.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6818 posts
4050 upvotes
Aurora
I think this aligns more with southern U.S. tastes. It kind of reminds me of "Fried Chicken and Waffles" where you're served fried chicken sitting on top of a stack of buttered waffles ... and they give you syrup to pour on everything. Sounds bizarre but it's absolutely a real thing down there.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: It's a limited time offer and being tested in a few markets. Has not been rolled out nationwide (in the USA) nor anywhere else yet:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/us/kfc-d ... index.html

If you're in Southern Ontario and want to try this... drive down to Pittsburgh Face With Tears Of Joy
Are you, and the guy above you, actually making fun of this sandwich? Dont make fun of it until it fails, otherwise it might be a hit worldwide.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Am I a mutant with a small mouth or does that look impossible to eat.

A regular donut is perfectly edible by a normal human.
Two donuts stacked could be crammed. Maybe.
Two donuts and a tall piece of chicken? Are you a snake pretending to be human that can unhinge your jaw?
Maybe they'll press it down flat with a hot plate for you like they do with burritos in Mucho Burrito?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4360 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: Are you, and the guy above you, actually making fun of this sandwich? Dont make fun of it until it fails, otherwise it might be a hit worldwide.
My only comment on it was on the size of the sandwich, and to point out that the closest place to the GTA where it's being test-marketed is Pittsburgh.

If they used Krispy Kreme size donuts then that would be a rather small sandwich compared to Chick-Fil-A's product. I made no comment nor suggestion on taste, market success/fail, price, overall quality, etc. If they make it that small then yes it should be made fun of. Like we do the rest of their menu, in Canada anyway...

It's the typical deception used in advertising images of food... like how you'll never get a sandwich at Subway that looks like the photos in the ads.