Automotive

kia depreciation worth rust protection/undercoating?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2015 12:15 pm
Nov 17, 2013
979 posts
196 upvotes
WINNIPEG

kia depreciation worth rust protection/undercoating?

Hey Guys just wanted some opinions. Been pouring over over threads here regarding rust proofing and undercoating. Purchased a 2014 Kia Sorento a month ago (Dec 2014) with 43000k on it from a Dealership. The Car was off a 1 year lease from a rental company with no accidents on the car proof. I wasn't even considering a Kia and just happened to go over the car and was attracted to its large list of standard features and comprehensive 5 year warranty, so the price i got it for I'm very happy with and want to protect my investment.

My question is, do Kia's hold their value very well? I plan to keep the car for at least 5 years or more hopefully without major repairs. Will rust proofing/undercoating help to give me a better trade vaule when the time comes? Or do Kia's just not have that market value after a length of time? I know Toyota's and Honda's tend to hold their value longer but not sure how the Korean auto makers are regarded. I can think of other ways to put money into the car that would bring immediate convenience (remote start, window tinting, backup camera, dash cam etc) so just wondering if i should sink money into those if the car is going to depreciate like crazy regardless of what preventative expenses i undertake.

At 43 000 kilometers, is it worth undercoating it? I doubt it would still qualify for new car rust warranty from most after market places. Should I really wait till summer to do my 1st undercoating or rust treatment? It's currently -30 here in central canada and we had a few previous weeks of slush and unseasonably warm wet weather so I can imagine there's lots of muck under the body right now.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
thanks.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
No Korean cars have the worst resale value of all te major brands. I think Mitsubishi is the only one with worst. This is something you should of asked before you purchased it.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
283 upvotes
Mississauga
u hardly ever 5++++ year old KIA/Hyundai vehicles on the street lol

worst re-sale value with Hyundai. A few co-workers bought KIA Sorrento new, but all they did was drive the truck hard and trade it in after 3/4 years lol
Banned
Oct 17, 2013
2337 posts
461 upvotes
T.O.
jswift79 wrote: u hardly ever 5++++ year old KIA/Hyundai vehicles on the street lol

worst re-sale value with Hyundai. A few co-workers bought KIA Sorrento new, but all they did was drive the truck hard and trade it in after 3/4 years lol
+1

OP, don't waste your hard earned money on rustproofing your KIA.

If you had a Mazda3.... well, you should be submerging it in oil every 6 months.

KIAs are pretty good when it comes to rust resistance. If you plan to keep the thing longer than 7 years, make it a habit to get it washed (touchless gas station washes are fine) every 1-2 weeks during the winter, and at least once a month during the other seasons. Be sure to get all the salt out by spraying the undercarriage and inner wheel wells in the spring (I do this in the winter, too!).
HONDA LYNCH MOB:DJPeanuts22*L4cky*Cartfan123*EP32K2*Milolai*Spyd3r*UrbanPoet*BarackObama*Craftsman*Tebore*AzNRiverdaleCI Valeradunets:I support your protest-HONDA became***after 2000-Im a tech &replaced MANY cracked blocks EP32k2:Its all true UrbanPoet:Carl was right Thai:Did GM merge w/Honda?Jeebus
Aug 16, 2011
841 posts
253 upvotes
Kitchener
i'd look into resale values, they aren't all that bad, not familiar with the sorento but the soul has great resale values.
I rustproofed mine, because I intend to keep it for a long time.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Any vehicle looses resale..no matter what.

But then again rust proofing for say $150 a year @ 6 years and sell = easier + $1000 grand if sell privately as in great shape and not rusty so increased resale value. If you trade in....you will loose.

Some people worry about rust and fix others just leave and drive...so you could save $150 a year.

PS.. Just using $150 as cost, as I can get cheaper but some people over pay just used to help calculate it out
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1124 posts
182 upvotes
Whitby
If you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, investing in Krown is a good idea, my family has owned several older domestic vehicles that Krown kept together pretty well, and like clockwork as soon as they stopped getting annual Krown to save a few bucks the cars rotted out underneath and fell apart within 2 years.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
vrredflag wrote: My question is, do Kia's hold their value very well?

No
vrredflag wrote: Will rust proofing/undercoating help to give me a better trade vaule when the time comes?

No
vrredflag wrote: At 43 000 kilometers, is it worth undercoating it?
Yes
vrredflag wrote: Should I really wait till summer to do my 1st undercoating or rust treatment?
Fall