397 upvotes
Edmonton

KIA/Hyundai Map Updates $100/$76 OFF

Deal Link:
Savings:
$100/$76
Expiry:
May 31, 2015
The new version 9 of the in-dash maps are about to be released so Mapnsoft, who handle map updates on the KIA/Hyundai vehicles, are offering a discount on the current version 8/8.5 which expires at the end of the month. The normal price for my KIA map update is $199US, but it's currently $99US, on which they just do a straight conversion to CDN$. Hyundai vehicles seem to have the lesser $76 discount. I ordered mine on the 9th of May and it arrived via courier yesterday.

The process is that after you order they send you an USB drive for which you then need to get an activation code from their website (currently not working for activations) or via telephone. The USB drive is useless without the activation code. They'll ask you for the order number, vehicle VIN, as well as the device ID, which is unique to each navigation unit and found on its System Info screen.

They seem to be having some difficulties at the moment with portions of their website, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to order today, but I was told that they're working on restoring service when I phoned in to get an authentication code generated for my vehicle.

I realize that paying to update maps on an OEM navigation system is anathema to many of you, and that there are discrete GPS units available with free lifetime map updates and of the existence of smartphones, Google Maps, Nokia Here, etc. This post is specifically tailored to KIA and Hyundai owners who want updated maps on their in-dash navigation system. Full stop.
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
Vacillator wrote: I realize that paying to update maps on an OEM navigation system is anathema to many of you, and that there are discrete GPS units available with free lifetime map updates and of the existence of smartphones, Google Maps, Nokia Here, etc. This post is specifically tailored to KIA and Hyundai owners who want updated maps on their in-dash navigation system. Full stop.
Actually, it's helpful for those of us who *don't* own a Kia or Hyundai but might consider one in the future. $200 (or $124, or $100...) is a lot to pay for a single map update. Full stop. ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2005
1213 posts
106 upvotes
Vaughan, On
$100 can land yourself a mintly used Garmin 3597LMT comes with lifetime map, traffic updates......
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1628 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Canadian navigation discounts from MapNSoft are quite rare. When I upgraded to version 6, I had to have the USB stick sent to my cousin in California who then sent it to me.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2575 posts
2039 upvotes
Clarington
retrothing wrote: Actually, it's helpful for those of us who *don't* own a Kia or Hyundai but might consider one in the future. $200 (or $124, or $100...) is a lot to pay for a single map update. Full stop. ;)
It's a very typical price for a map update from any manufacturer. Hence why people still opt to use their phones or stand alone GPS'.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3043 posts
2067 upvotes
Canadia
Bawler wrote: It's a very typical price for a map update from any manufacturer. Hence why people still opt to use their phones or stand alone GPS.
Good to know. My wife almost bought a car with integrated GPS last summer, but they didn't have it in her preferred colour and she dropped down a trim level. I didn't give any thought to the potential cost of map updates at the time. Glad we dodged that, and I'll appreciate the lifetime maps on our Garmin just that little bit more then next time she pulls it out of the glove box. :)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1423 posts
1325 upvotes
I don't know what version I have on my in-dash GPS, but I have seldom run in to troubles with my apparently out of date maps. Maybe a few times with a new road or sub-division. So unless the 401 decides to move, I don't think it's totally necessary to update.
May 20, 2003
570 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
This is a good post for those who need it. I also don't run into issues with the existing maps so I'll pass for now.

I don't why so many people have to put their two cents in just to pat themselves on the back. There are a lot of advantages of having a GPS in your car although the premium you pay is hardly worth it. One of the most annoying things about an after market GPS is that you have to hide it every time you park your car so that someone doesn't try to steal it, especially if it's a nice one with a big screen.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
jkam wrote: I don't know what version I have on my in-dash GPS, but I have seldom run in to troubles with my apparently out of date maps. Maybe a few times with a new road or sub-division. So unless the 401 decides to move, I don't think it's totally necessary to update.
This is the first time I've updated in four years since it is quite expensive. They've changed the interface a bit, and so far I like the changes. I don't think I'd update every year, unless the cost were more reasonable, but after four years the maps were definitely starting to become less useful. There are some definite advantages to the in-dash navigation systems, such as the large screen, muting music volume for the audible directions, and my phone will charge faster in the car than it would if using its GPS, and also no need to set up a phone or standalone GPS and then take it down and conceal it. I wish the Sirius traffic updates were more useful where I live though. While travelling in the US, the Sirius traffic actually works quite nicely.
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2158 posts
563 upvotes
Lévis
retrothing wrote: Actually, it's helpful for those of us who *don't* own a Kia or Hyundai but might consider one in the future. $200 (or $124, or $100...) is a lot to pay for a single map update. Full stop. ;)
Toyota sells my 2010 prius map update CD 240$. Like peoples said, 100$ for a single map update is a rip off. So at 240$, I let you guess what I think of toyota ..l..
Specially if you consider the quality of the GPS which is poor. We have an average grade GPS (garmin nuvi 350) which is 1-2 years older and it's better than what's in the car. I'm serious.
The worst part? I've been told by the guy at the parts that at this price, nobody buys them. So they don't sells any. I'm sure Hyundai is doing more money even at 40% of the price because, at least, they sell somes...

I complained to toyota. No wonder the koreans are taking over.
Pourquoi pas?
Mar 7, 2011
161 posts
115 upvotes
Moronto
If the upgrade changed the voice used for navigation to a more natural-sounding or even better, a real voice, then it might be worth it.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2158 posts
563 upvotes
Lévis
retrothing wrote: Good to know. My wife almost bought a car with integrated GPS last summer, but they didn't have it in her preferred colour and she dropped down a trim level. I didn't give any thought to the potential cost of map updates at the time. Glad we dodged that, and I'll appreciate the lifetime maps on our Garmin just that little bit more then next time she pulls it out of the glove box. :)
The problem with integrated GPS is teh cost. Typically it's 3x more expansive than a comparable GPS (top Garmins models goes for 250-300$). Other drawback: it's integrated... So changing is not an option. That is only if you d'on t keep your cars for short periods.

Also, you cannot bring it with you if you travel and plan to rent a car. But using your smartphone might be a better option.
davext wrote: This is a good post for those who need it. I also don't run into issues with the existing maps so I'll pass for now.

There are a lot of advantages of having a GPS in your car although the premium you pay is hardly worth it. One of the most annoying things about an after market GPS is that you have to hide it every time you park your car so that someone doesn't try to steal it, especially if it's a nice one with a big screen.
There are advantages but not a lot. There's also drawbacks (see above). You are right for the fact that one of the drawback is you have to hide it. But it's only a real problem for those who use it often. That being said, I respect your POV.
Pourquoi pas?
Dec 26, 2012
109 posts
93 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Intresting to know Sirius traffic feature works in US. Did you pay for it or its free?
Vacillator wrote: This is the first time I've updated in four years since it is quite expensive. They've changed the interface a bit, and so far I like the changes. I don't think I'd update every year, unless the cost were more reasonable, but after four years the maps were definitely starting to become less useful. There are some definite advantages to the in-dash navigation systems, such as the large screen, muting music volume for the audible directions, and my phone will charge faster in the car than it would if using its GPS, and also no need to set up a phone or standalone GPS and then take it down and conceal it. I wish the Sirius traffic updates were more useful where I live though. While travelling in the US, the Sirius traffic actually works quite nicely.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1338 posts
696 upvotes
How do I know if I need this? Or how can I check my current versions?

Damn, the price is USD. I was contemplating at $100CAD but I think $100USD is pushing it if I constantly have my phone on me
Feb 26, 2012
60 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi I have 2015 sorento and are clueless with how the updates work so also interested how you check version etc
Mar 17, 2014
630 posts
322 upvotes
Vancouver
good posting OP. Althought my outdated map still works well, this is a good deal.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2158 posts
563 upvotes
Lévis
alstare2000 wrote: Hi I have 2015 sorento and are clueless with how the updates work so also interested how you check version etc
Make a google search. You will most probably find on where, in the menu is the version. A video if you're lucky.

IMHO, you should wait 3-5 years for map updates. That is if you don't use them a lot, like a working tool.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2158 posts
563 upvotes
Lévis
alstare2000 wrote: Hi I have 2015 sorento and are clueless with how the updates work so also interested how you check version etc
Make a google search. You will most probably find on where, in the menu is the version. A video if you're lucky.

IMHO, you should wait 3-5 years for map updates. That is if you don't use them a lot, like a working tool.
Pourquoi pas?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
binny08 wrote: Intresting to know Sirius traffic feature works in US. Did you pay for it or its free?
It's been on there since I bought the car and has always just worked.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
397 upvotes
Edmonton
On my car I press the setup button and it's on that screen under System Info. There you will find the map version. Mine went from 3.?? to 7.xx (don't recall exactly, but presumably four versions newer).