• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 9:43 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7864 posts
8826 upvotes

Kia Optima 2.oT 2013 knocking noise

So, been an happy owner of a 2013 Kia Optima 2.0T. The car now have 53K Kms on it. It started knocking as hell, like this:

the second day, it suddenly stopped knocking. Brought it anyways to the dealer, that souns is obviously not normal. At first, I and the advisor thought it was the recall issue. Told me not to drive the car, as it could have been dangerous, the engine can suddenly stop so no more power steering, no more power brakes, and dangerous accident can occur. They made all the tests required by Kia for a warranty claim, but the test came with no issues as result. Now, dealer charged me $200 for diagnostics and tests, they also had a look at the belt tensioner and now I am with this car, who had an intermitten knocking noise. If issue comes back in the next 3 months they will refund the $200 diagnostic charges that I already paid

Could this be an intermitten oil pump failure? Anyone experienced an intermittent knocking issue?

Sorry for the bad video, I was just trying to record the noise ;)

And, also intermittent, I hear this noise, from inside the car. Nothing from the engine bay...

Again, sorry for the bad video, I was focusing on recording the sound
5 replies
Jan 2, 2013
293 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Ahh the infamous Kia rod knock. I had a 2012 Kia Forte and it had the ticking noise when I hit about 120k.

Forte owners were out of luck since Kia did not recognize this problem on the Forte. There is an entire lawsuit on this engine. As an optima owner, you might be about to argue and convince Kia to get you a new engine.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7864 posts
8826 upvotes
redflagger5 wrote: Ahh the infamous Kia rod knock. I had a 2012 Kia Forte and it had the ticking noise when I hit about 120k.

Forte owners were out of luck since Kia did not recognize this problem on the Forte. There is an entire lawsuit on this engine. As an optima owner, you might be about to argue and convince Kia to get you a new engine.
There is a recall for this issue. There is no more noise, they made their inspection and everything is as the specs
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Jul 25th, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 4, 2010
815 posts
442 upvotes
Surrey
The first video I can only hear the fuel injectors clicking, not knock. Maybe I got bad audio.

How is the oil level?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7864 posts
8826 upvotes
matrixfwd wrote: The first video I can only hear the fuel injectors clicking, not knock. Maybe I got bad audio.

How is the oil level?
oil level is ok. First thing I had an eye to! Thought of bad gas, but I been driving with the tank filled with the same gas for 3 weeks.

PS: I am not the kind of person who looks for internet consideration, and I am not seeking upvotes, I am seeking help... but why a downvote?? Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
1000 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
This just sounds like GDI tick to me not the same kind of knock that I've heard from the Forte engines. I only know that the knocking from Forte engines is a lot less uniform based on FB groups and forums specific to the vehicle. I'm not as familiar with Optima issues. You may be better off checking out dedicated Kia/Optima owner forums.
Participant in:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE (Now 4GB Loyalty after 6 months)
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)