Automotive

Kia Rio 5 vs Nissan Versa

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2016 9:45 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Nissan Versa vs Kia Rio 5

  • Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
208 upvotes

Kia Rio 5 vs Nissan Versa

My girlfriend is getting a car after some time and found a few at the local car auction that she likes. The choices are

2010 Kia Rio 5
Black
1.6L Motor
120 000km on odo
Auto Trans

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback
Silver
Approx 185 000km on odo
Manual Trans

2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback
Blue
Approx 180 000km on odo
Auto trans

This car basically will be used to get to and from work when she starts her new job, maybe a little highway driving and will be maintained by her father who is very mechanically inclined. She can drive either stick or auto so that is not an issue.

I know if it were me buying the vehicle I'd be more leaning towards the Kia just based on the fact that it has almost 60 000km less on it and that from the info I can see it appears to be a higher spec'd vehicle than either of the 2 Nissans.

Anyways just looking for Opinions on these 3 vehicles and peoples thoughts on the Rio 5 vs a Versa hatchback.

Not looking for any other suggestions on a vehicle as these are the choices for a decent hatchback at this auction.

Thanks
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
20 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2649 posts
1895 upvotes
Markham
Between these two models I'd pick the Rio. For one simple reason, the Kia Rio is much better built. The Versa that we get is so poorly built that I can list a lot of items that will be loose, fall off or break. I don't recall ever having problems with this version of the Rio either. Whereas the Versa I've dealt with rough idle, fuel pump failure(got recalled later) and the stereo breaking. If it comes down to the 2 Versas, the manual transmission is more durable, as for the auto there actually is 2 choices here its either the 4-speed automatic(only found on S models) or the CVT. Being an older generation Nissan CVT...I would have some reservations since the warranty got extended on these due to prior problems and at 180K these are nearing the end of that extended warranty.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1684 posts
601 upvotes
Calgary
Go with versa you wouldn't regret it. Rio isnt exactly know for built quality and the versa beats in all aspects. It is much powerful, has a lot more leg room and storage and is very reliable. It has a timing chain so not a whole lot of service. It has enough power to overtake on the highway. The only issue I had is not mechanical but like other Nissan it has to much plastic on the bottom and one piece got stuck on those parking things and when I reversed the car it pulled the edges of the bumper as well. Will be a cheap fix .


Although mine versa is a 1.8 4spd auto with AC and runs like a dream. I have 118k on it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
OP, wish there was another option in the poll.
The Kia Rio could be bought new for 0 per cent interest.
Since she has a new job, this would be idea. No maintenance and no surprises with the car's mechanics since the car will be new.
Just my opinion....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2039 upvotes
BC
If I had to choose one of those three at an auction it would be the Kia Rio, but I wouldn't be buying a 6 or 7-year old car at auction.

I would be looking to buy privately or through a dealership.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4317 upvotes
Get the 2010 Kia Rio 5. It actually looks like a normal car.
Newbie
Jan 20, 2009
90 posts
25 upvotes
Maple, ON
I don't know much about the Kia, however I've had my 2008 Versa 1.8SL Hatchback with the Auto CVT since new. It now has 218000km on the odometer. It is actually quite a roomy car for being considered a compact. No major issues with the car, serviced regularly, replaced wear and tear items. Had to replace a catalytic converter and part of the exhaust, and an O2 sensor. Fuel consumption is avg 8.2L/100km (70% hwy/ 30% city). It is not the most exhilarating car to drive, but I will run this car until something major happens, or it becomes unsafe.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
208 upvotes
coupondiva2012 wrote: OP, wish there was another option in the poll.
The Kia Rio could be bought new for 0 per cent interest.
Since she has a new job, this would be idea. No maintenance and no surprises with the car's mechanics since the car will be new.
Just my opinion....
Not an option as her father is buying the car for her and doesn't want to be stuck with $200+ payments for a new vehicle that will depreciate significantly once you drive it off the lot.

Got some news though regarding the blue Versa, it apparently has about $12k in repairs from a major incident so that car is not being considered anymore.

Down to the silver versa and the kia rio.
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
2139 posts
343 upvotes
nagasadow wrote: Not an option as her father is buying the car for her and doesn't want to be stuck with $200+ payments for a new vehicle that will depreciate significantly once you drive it off the lot.

Got some news though regarding the blue Versa, it apparently has about $12k in repairs from a major incident so that car is not being considered anymore.

Down to the silver versa and the kia rio.
Any idea what he thinks he'll have to pay for these cars? I'm curious as to what the savings would be considering that they are probably around $3500-$5000 depending on certification/as is/private sale/dealer sale.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
208 upvotes
Chookman wrote: Any idea what he thinks he'll have to pay for these cars? I'm curious as to what the savings would be considering that they are probably around $3500-$5000 depending on certification/as is/private sale/dealer sale.
From what we can gather, previous sales for these cars have been around $1500-$3000.
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Member
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
232 upvotes
Quebec
Go for the Versa, whichever one is the better deal and/or in the better condition. If the 2010 Rio handles as badly as the 2016 model does - and it's unlikely to be better - then the Versa has to be a better choice.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2379 posts
793 upvotes
Whitehorse
She needs to find like cars to testdrive or at least sit in for half an hour. On paper, the Kia Rio wins. But when I sat in one I felt like I could see very little. I felt very unsafe.

Another parameter is the seat. I've had some brand new rentals that I would never want to drive again, just because of super uncomfortable seats/headrests.
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2011
541 posts
187 upvotes
Alberta
I've got an 08 Versa hatch with 79,000 km on it. It's a decent city car and up until last October only needed basic maintenance (oil and filter), oh and the front brakes were worn. October was a front CV joint I believe.

Cab is pretty roomy, trunk is laughably small. Not a great option if you have kids (strollers are a pain). Stock speakers are bad, one of them blew and I never listen to anything loud.

I don't find the seats super comfortable for long trips, but it's okay for daily commutes.

All in all, it's a decent, cheap car.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
208 upvotes
angrydingo wrote: I've got an 08 Versa hatch with 79,000 km on it. It's a decent city car and up until last October only needed basic maintenance (oil and filter), oh and the front brakes were worn. October was a front CV joint I believe.

Cab is pretty roomy, trunk is laughably small. Not a great option if you have kids (strollers are a pain). Stock speakers are bad, one of them blew and I never listen to anything loud.

I don't find the seats super comfortable for long trips, but it's okay for daily commutes.

All in all, it's a decent, cheap car.
good to know.
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36188 posts
10334 upvotes
Ottawa
coupondiva2012 wrote: OP, wish there was another option in the poll.
The Kia Rio could be bought new for 0 per cent interest.
Since she has a new job, this would be idea. No maintenance and no surprises with the car's mechanics since the car will be new.
Just my opinion....
I agree with this. The 2010 Rio was not the best of the line. They have gotten much better.
Same goes for the Versa.
Most importantly, buying off auction is a huge gamble. You get nothing from the auction if anything should go wrong...it is as is, where is. Unless you are willing to gamble big, then stay pretty far away.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Newbie
Jan 20, 2009
90 posts
25 upvotes
Maple, ON
Sheem wrote: I don't know much about the Kia, however I've had my 2008 Versa 1.8SL Hatchback with the Auto CVT since new. It now has 218000km on the odometer. It is actually quite a roomy car for being considered a compact. No major issues with the car, serviced regularly, replaced wear and tear items. Had to replace a catalytic converter and part of the exhaust, and an O2 sensor. Fuel consumption is avg 8.2L/100km (70% hwy/ 30% city). It is not the most exhilarating car to drive, but I will run this car until something major happens, or it becomes unsafe.
Umm, I take all this back. Don't buy a CVT. 218450km tranny is shot. Nissan extended warranty was 10 yrs/120000miles (193000km) and I'm SOL. Needless to say, bye bye Versa.
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2011
541 posts
187 upvotes
Alberta
Sheem wrote: Umm, I take all this back. Don't buy a CVT. 218450km tranny is shot. Nissan extended warranty was 10 yrs/120000miles (193000km) and I'm SOL. Needless to say, bye bye Versa.
Interesting. My versa has a 4 speed automatic. Is yours the SL model?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6389 posts
2039 upvotes
BC
angrydingo wrote: Interesting. My versa has a 4 speed automatic. Is yours the SL model?
He did already say it was the SL model.
Sheem wrote: .... I've had my 2008 Versa 1.8SL Hatchback with the Auto CVT since new.
But moot point now about transmissions as OP has already said the only Versa model presently under consideration is the MT one.

On another track, wonder why some find the older Rio to look more like a normal car than the Versa?
To me the Versa looks very traditional - timeless and functional with clear outward vision and spacious cabin, whereas the Rio looks gimmicky and trying too hard to be different.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
208 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I agree with this. The 2010 Rio was not the best of the line. They have gotten much better.
Same goes for the Versa.
Most importantly, buying off auction is a huge gamble. You get nothing from the auction if anything should go wrong...it is as is, where is. Unless you are willing to gamble big, then stay pretty far away.
The auction we know is a gamble but her father has bought and sold about 10 vehicles through auction and never has had an issue. About 5 years ago he got 3 golfs (97-99) for cheap and they're still running fine with the odd hiccup
which he can fix.
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 6, 2009
2182 posts
208 upvotes
and just heard back from her, Sounds like her dad bought the Kia for $3000
Brand NEW FUJIFILM F900EXR FOR SALE ASKING $225

Top