[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2814 posts
1211 upvotes
Quebec

Kia Sedonna

Hi everyone have 1 kid here tying to get a 2nd kid

We are also slowly gearing ourselves towards camping so we need a new car.

So we are looking at a Used 2019 Kia Sedona, about 56k KM for about 25k, which seems a good price.

My question mostly before we go see it at a dealership (due to all happening now)

What do you guys think of the Sedona, is it a good minivan car?

We are looking at some videos and it seems there is not a lot of Trunk (when the last row of seats are up)

Tried telling my GF its normal that you you can<t have a car for 7 places and a big trunk at the same time for 25k but we probably won't use the 3rd row much.

We are also looking at the Sorento but the Sedona seems better, since we plan to do family trip with the niece and etc

So opinions are welcomed

Thanks
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19153 posts
19067 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I rented one back in 2018. You buy a minivan for storage and quite frankly the Sedona is lacking compartments, but it is a large van. We were 4 adults and 3 kids (5,8,11) along with luggage for 2 weeks. We fit all that in the Sedona. The trunk may not be long when the 3rd row is up but it's deep. That said I do not recommend this van at all, it's absolutely terrible driving wise. Suspension is about the worse I have experienced, there is a complete lack of dive/squat control so every time you brake no matter how soft you try the van just dives causing motion sickness for some passengers. Same with when you go on the throttle especially in stop and go, it is so poorly calibrated that just the lowest tip in causes the vehicle to lurch and squat and then there is turns. This is one of the few vehicles where I felt unsafe to go around turns at moderate speeds as it rolled so much to the point where it felt like it was understeering.

Test drive one, but not one of those go around the block ones. Spend some quality time behind the wheel to see for yourself whether these are issues for you or not. I won't even get into the quality of the materials as there simply isn't any LOL.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1068 posts
1183 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Suspension is about the worse I have experienced, there is a complete lack of dive/squat control so every time you brake no matter how soft you try the van just dives causing motion sickness for some passengers. Same with when you go on the throttle especially in stop and go, it is so poorly calibrated that just the lowest tip in causes the vehicle to lurch and squat and then there is turns.
Never driven the Sedona before, but I feel this is an issue with Hyundai/Kia products. I've rented a Tucson, Elantra and Forte for longer drives (each time roughly 1000 km road trips) and they all seem to have this problem, but at varying degrees. Very touchy pedals with no "modulation" so when you brake or accelerate, car lunges ahead or jerks to a stop. Tucson was the worst, Forte was the best. And yes, agreed, interior quality is a joke - hard plastics all over the place. You get what you pay for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2814 posts
1211 upvotes
Quebec
bear20 wrote: Never driven the Sedona before, but I feel this is an issue with Hyundai/Kia products. I've rented a Tucson, Elantra and Forte for longer drives (each time roughly 1000 km road trips) and they all seem to have this problem, but at varying degrees. Very touchy pedals with no "modulation" so when you brake or accelerate, car lunges ahead or jerks to a stop. Tucson was the worst, Forte was the best. And yes, agreed, interior quality is a joke - hard plastics all over the place. You get what you pay for.
Strange I love my Forte an I think its the best car I<ve ever owned
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1693 posts
1129 upvotes
Definitely do a long test drive before you make your decision.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2814 posts
1211 upvotes
Quebec
Ok i understand that some people have different opinions about comfort

But what about reliability of the car

Breaks often ?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2956 posts
2374 upvotes
Markham
ratatapa wrote: But what about reliability of the car

Breaks often ?
Data on the current iteration of this van isn't as comprehensive as the other minivans as this is the least common of the 5 minivans. Thus far 3.3L V6 engine isn't known to be troublesome however this engine isn't commonly used on Kia vehicles either. Transmission on minivans is always a question mark and usually a weak point as seen previous on Honda and Dodge. I haven't heard anything specifically that's bad about the ones I've seen in fleet. The vast majority of Sedonas in this generation are still currently under warranty. As far as surveys, Consumer Report's survey has the Kia Sedona as 2nd in reliability behind Toyota's Sienna.

Of course to reduce your chances of getting a bad Kia Sedona, you will need an independent mechanic to check out the used one you're looking at.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
2888 posts
4568 upvotes
Somewhere in AB
EP32k2 wrote: I rented one back in 2018. You buy a minivan for storage and quite frankly the Sedona is lacking compartments, but it is a large van. We were 4 adults and 3 kids (5,8,11) along with luggage for 2 weeks. We fit all that in the Sedona. The trunk may not be long when the 3rd row is up but it's deep. That said I do not recommend this van at all, it's absolutely terrible driving wise. Suspension is about the worse I have experienced, there is a complete lack of dive/squat control so every time you brake no matter how soft you try the van just dives causing motion sickness for some passengers. Same with when you go on the throttle especially in stop and go, it is so poorly calibrated that just the lowest tip in causes the vehicle to lurch and squat and then there is turns. This is one of the few vehicles where I felt unsafe to go around turns at moderate speeds as it rolled so much to the point where it felt like it was understeering.

Test drive one, but not one of those go around the block ones. Spend some quality time behind the wheel to see for yourself whether these are issues for you or not. I won't even get into the quality of the materials as there simply isn't any LOL.
Ahh... yes. This explains why you're so wary of Hyundai/Kia products. No wonder! LOL.

To OP: As a two-time Kia owner, I've had zero reliability issues with Kia (had Sorento and now a Telluride). We test-drove a Sedona and it was an excellent vehicle. As long as proper maintenance is done, the vehicles should last a long time.
Be Balanced. Be Diversified. Stay Invested.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2814 posts
1211 upvotes
Quebec
JeganV wrote: Data on the current iteration of this van isn't as comprehensive as the other minivans as this is the least common of the 5 minivans. Thus far 3.3L V6 engine isn't known to be troublesome however this engine isn't commonly used on Kia vehicles either. Transmission on minivans is always a question mark and usually a weak point as seen previous on Honda and Dodge. I haven't heard anything specifically that's bad about the ones I've seen in fleet. The vast majority of Sedonas in this generation are still currently under warranty. As far as surveys, Consumer Report's survey has the Kia Sedona as 2nd in reliability behind Toyota's Sienna.

Of course to reduce your chances of getting a bad Kia Sedona, you will need an independent mechanic to check out the used one you're looking at.
Well the used one im looking at is from a dealership does that change much?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2814 posts
1211 upvotes
Quebec
TuxedoBlack wrote: Ahh... yes. This explains why you're so wary of Hyundai/Kia products. No wonder! LOL.

To OP: As a two-time Kia owner, I've had zero reliability issues with Kia (had Sorento and now a Telluride). We test-drove a Sedona and it was an excellent vehicle. As long as proper maintenance is done, the vehicles should last a long time.

Thanks for the tip ill keep that in mind
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5219 posts
1700 upvotes
Wat
My Sedona is 11 yrs old and I've been very happy with it.
I was skeptical when I bought it new (because Kia/Hyundai) but it was a great decision money wise.

It's a pig on gas though, not sure about the newer ones.

Edit-

Just to answer your questions, it's been a great camping car, lots of space to fit everything. We also tow a tent trailer with it as well. We've driven it to Florida etc
The space is probably smaller than other minivans (ie Odyssey) but a big jump over an SUV.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2956 posts
2374 upvotes
Markham
ratatapa wrote: Well the used one im looking at is from a dealership does that change much?
How much do you trust the dealership? The thing is their mechanics are going to side with the dealership. You have to do your own due diligence to ensure the used car you're getting is a quality one. Yes its a 2019 and the chances of it being terrible are lower than older and higher mileage stuff, but some cars don't even get very far before taking serious damage. A clean carfax isn't a certainty because if the accident wasn't reported to insurance it will not be seen on the report. Effectively you're doing as much in your power to protect yourself.

Of course test drive it first, if it doesn't feel normal on the test drive you can easily save the money on inspection by skipping it entirely. Totally worth test driving another one so that you have a feel for how the vehicle should be, along with a bargaining chip. Renting one is even more ideal to get to know what you're buying.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)