• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2020 8:43 am
[OP]
Mar 1, 2002
794 posts
224 upvotes

Kia Sorento AWD: Tire depth tolerances on AWD systems

Any Kia techs out there?

We have a 2015 Kia Sorento 2.4L AWD. What are the tire depth tolerances on this vehicle. The owner's manual doesn't really state anything.

Currently the front tires are 8/32" and rears are 10/32" (all 4 are same make and model). Is this acceptable? If so should the tires with more tread be on the front or rear?

I don't want the transfer case or transmission to degrade due to the the tires being not all the same tread depth.
8 replies
[OP]
Mar 1, 2002
794 posts
224 upvotes
Thanks but I already knew about all that, hence I made this thread to determine whether Kia has any tolerances as I do not want any premature wear on the transfer case or transmission.

I read in another thread the Subaru has the strictest tolerances as the differences in the front and rear tread depth must be below 2/32". I just want to know whether Kia has any written allowances for differences in tread depth.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4143 posts
1492 upvotes
GTA
pulsar wrote: I don't want the transfer case or transmission to degrade due to the the tires being not all the same tread depth.
Lol the difference between 8/32" and 10/32" is a 0.3mm taller tire, don't worry about it.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3868 posts
3986 upvotes
GTA
I wouldn't worry about if it's not explicitly mentioned in the owner's manual.

You should rotate the tires to even out the wear.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2002
794 posts
224 upvotes
shabby wrote: Lol the difference between 8/32" and 10/32" is a 0.3mm taller tire, don't worry about it.
I believe your math is off by almost 11 fold. 2/32" difference is 3.2mm difference in height.
Dec 16, 2008
967 posts
402 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You need to rotate tires based on mileage and time mentioned in owner manual.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4143 posts
1492 upvotes
GTA
pulsar wrote: I believe your math is off by almost 11 fold. 2/32" difference is 3.2mm difference in height.
Lol oops lousy decimal moved by itself I tell ya Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27712 posts
8070 upvotes
pulsar wrote: I believe your math is off by almost 11 fold. 2/32" difference is 3.2mm difference in height.
Sure but that's still nothing. If the AWD system couldn't handle that much of a difference then you might as well sell the vehicle because if you hit it with a sneeze the centre diff would proably explode too :lol: There's no transfer case here I don't think as, unlike the first generation Sorento, your version is AWD not 4WD. The Dynamax system is very similar to a Haldex system it looks like, with a multi-plate coupling

That said do rotate the tyres so they can start to even out. This almost certainly a front-biased system given it's a transverse layout (and the vehicle is FWD if you don't opt for AWD) so just put the better tyres up front at this point and don't worry too much about it.

As a side note, the AWD system looks quite capable/impressive in sticky situations :)