Kid want reptiles as pets, bad idea?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2021 4:09 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
210 posts
61 upvotes

Kid want reptiles as pets, bad idea?

10 yr old girl asked for either Bearded dragons or snakes for pets, it's been a while and I can tell she really liked having them.

I wonder if this is a good idea.

I am ok with most non-toxic reptiles, cats and dogs, but my concern for reptiles is they don't give children as much emotional response as mammals.
2 replies
Dec 26, 2007
447 posts
216 upvotes
Vancouver
Bad idea, my kid wanted a snake, what we did was take her to a pet store to check some snakes out. Eventually she outgrew the idea. Now she wants a cat.

She also wanted fishes for a while, and quickly got bored once we got it, but that's a low risk pet, and I love taking care of the fishes lol
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2014 posts
1408 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
If you decide on a reptile, some have a much longer life than your average cat or dog. I was a reptile show, and they said some can live 25-30+. I think bearded dragons are a lot less but some snakes alot more. You would definitely want to ask, otherwise, you could be giving the pet back to your grandkids Astonished Face I have been told they are easier to maintain than cats and dogs in the sense you don't have to walk them every day, and feeding is easier.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.