Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Kidde Battery Operated Photoelectric Combination Smoke and CO Detector with Voice Alert $19.84 (reg. $53.82)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2022 9:26 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1810 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto
builders installed a cheap ionization smoke/CO near my kitchen in my old Townhouse. i replaced that with a kidd photoelectric, and no longer have problem frying steaks on my cast iron.
Aug 25, 2018
22 posts
34 upvotes
Does anybody know if they are interconnectable?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Temporel wrote: Check your local bylaws.
In Montreal, the smoke detector from this thread would not be legal.

"All residential buildings that were built before 1985 must now have a removable smoke alarm powered by a non-removable lithium battery with a lifespan of 10 years."

Source
Wow. They really micro manage how people live. Soon they will have law about how I put the food into my mouth.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Wow. They really micro manage how people live. Soon they will have law about how I put the food into my mouth.
That's because deaths occurred with smoke detectors having dead or no battery in it.
Some people will readily buy beer and cigarettes but a 9V battery is too expensive...
If you have a ten year battery that people can't tamper with, you might save lives.
Do you also think that seat belts are a micro management of people's lives?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2009
1513 posts
1214 upvotes
What does “removable smoke alarm” mean? Does it mean it can’t be hardwired?
May 19, 2011
103 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Removable means the 9V battery is removable and replaceable. This is in contrast to the more expensive Lithium Ion ones where the battery is not removable and lasts 7-10 years at which point you just toss the unit away and replace with a new one (they are supposed to be replaced in that timeline anyway). More convienient but some don’t like since they use these things for way longer than they are supposed to.

This is a good deal.

Also, there is always lots of chatter on these forums between ionization and photoelectric, and that’s cool, but I would argue for most people they are replacing ancient old fire alarms from the 90s that don’t work, so either ion or pe will be way better than what you have. CO built in too.
Apr 10, 2006
864 posts
858 upvotes
yellowmp5 wrote: builders installed a cheap ionization smoke/CO near my kitchen in my old Townhouse. i replaced that with a kidd photoelectric, and no longer have problem frying steaks on my cast iron.
i would prefer ionization on the main floor as kitchen fires (flash fires) occur more often there. then install photoelectric ones on other floors as fires would be more the smoldering type when it occurs. of course having both would be best. aesthetically ugly but life saving necessity.

understandable that it's annoying as eff when it gets triggered by a little bit of smoke from cheese dripping onto the heating element on a small convection/toaster oven.

also remember my sister mentioning that new fire code requires it to have strobing lights (visual signaling). i think only mandatory if you remodeling your house that requires a building permit.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Wow. They really micro manage how people live. Soon they will have law about how I put the food into my mouth.
You ain't see nothing yet.

There are some US states (Maine, Massachusetts etc.) that ban specific smoke alarm detection technologies - namely ionization only smoke alarms.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Temporel wrote: That's because deaths occurred with smoke detectors having dead or no battery in it.
Some people will readily buy beer and cigarettes but a 9V battery is too expensive...
If you have a ten year battery that people can't tamper with, you might save lives.
If you understand people, you will know all these rules are more about liability than saving lives. Many 10 years battery smoke detectors are plug in. And people remove it for the outlet. The thing about rules is it is being forced on people. And if you look at how many anti vaxxers out there, you will see that people don't take things being forced on them too well.
If you need to make rules to force people to save themselves, something is seriously wrong. We should inspire people to want to save themselves, not force them to which them will fight back.
Micro management does not work because once you start doing it, people will start just doing bare minimum to meet the requirement instead of proactive and take the responsibilities upon themselves.

Also, when make a rule, it applies to all regardless of the situation. One rule fit all never work too well. You need to lower the standard so everyone can meet it. But at the same time, it may be higher than what some other people need. So most people will feel pain from the one rule. If you need to make everything a law, you will soon realize nothing works unless you break the law.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
3222 posts
1908 upvotes
Surrey
How good is this? I got one from Costco get lot of false alarms
Last edited by paaji on Jan 5th, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
Date stickers on the smoke alarm are manufacture dates (so replace in 10 years) or are they expiry dates (replace by this date?)
Jun 24, 2010
52 posts
67 upvotes
Tidbit of advice from someone who got quite a scare recently. Moved into a house. First day, we tested both smoke alarms by pressing the test button. Both beeped. A few days later (in the middle of the night) our entire house was filled with smoke & neither detector went off. Took them both down, they looked very dated inside & obviously didn't work. Don't take the risk If in doubt, buy new ones. Test the ones you have with smoke as opposed to pressing the test button. We replaced everything with hardwired smoke/CO with battery backup, alarm/voice command. We also bought a fire extinguisher. Yes, it was expensive for worth it. Learn from our mistake.
Jul 15, 2009
284 posts
748 upvotes
Kiddie2.jpg
Kidde Battery Operated Photoelectric Combination Smoke and CO Detector with Voice Alert $20

Link
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2015
7298 posts
71705 upvotes
17 more avaliable for shipping.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
No matter battery or hardwired, they all have expiry dates. Always change out the batteries out in beginning of spring or fall. So daylight savings is an easy reminder.

Edit

Double check the mfr site

https://www.kidde.com/fire-safety/en/ca ... /cp9000ca/

Smoke sensor is photoelectric sensor not ionization
CO sensor is electrochemical
Last edited by maniacshopper on Jan 5th, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 12, 2010
293 posts
240 upvotes
Temporel wrote: That's because deaths occurred with smoke detectors having dead or no battery in it.
My buddy is living in a house that is now 16-17 years old and still has original smoke detectors. I found some cheap ones on clearance for $5 each so I suggested he replace his existing ones, or at least test them. He won’t even test the existing ones because he figures they are fine because they aren’t beeping at him. In his mind, smoke detectors will let you know when they aren’t working properly. This guy was earning $120k/yr as a ‘building operator’…..
Aug 26, 2019
743 posts
1623 upvotes
askmom wrote: Tidbit of advice from someone who got quite a scare recently. Moved into a house. First day, we tested both smoke alarms by pressing the test button. Both beeped. A few days later (in the middle of the night) our entire house was filled with smoke & neither detector went off. Took them both down, they looked very dated inside & obviously didn't work. Don't take the risk If in doubt, buy new ones. Test the ones you have with smoke as opposed to pressing the test button. We replaced everything with hardwired smoke/CO with battery backup, alarm/voice command. We also bought a fire extinguisher. Yes, it was expensive for worth it. Learn from our mistake.
Which detectors did you end up going with?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)