Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Kidde Battery Operated Photoelectric Combination Smoke and CO Detector with Voice Alert $19.84 (reg. $53.82)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2022 9:26 pm
Sep 3, 2014
25 posts
14 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
While I agree that both is better when it comes to ionizing vs photoelectric, ionizing Is inferior when you consider more than response time and will slowly perform worse over time, and eventually litterally not work at all.

If I were to reccomend one over the other it would definitely be photoelectric for a few reasons.

1. Photoelectric does not degrade over time. I change mine every 10 years so it's not really a problem for me, however if you are like my parents and have been meaning to change theirs for the last three years (the smoke detectors and you were already overdue by 15 years your smoke detector won't work at all.

2. Ionizing has way more false alarms and is often is set off by water vapor or even stupid things like toasters. If you want to be waving a towel in front of your kitchen or bathroom smoke alarm then get ionizing. This can lead to people unplugging them and then forgetting to plug them back in.

3. Ionizing is cheaper, so you are more likely to select a cheap Chinese version. Many ionizing are high quality and Kidde is a reputable brand. Kind of a stupid point but it is what it is.

4. As for response times, both detectors work. Yes you may get a slight headstart on an ionizing in the event that the house is burning very fast, however I think both types of fires will be present anyway. If you have a massive fire thats caused by newspapers or something it's going to light something that smokes on fire eventually whether it is a couch or the paint on the walls or something. Vice versa if there's insulation slowly burning in my walls it will eventually turn into something big. In summery I don't think type of fire would really concern me too much.

Anyway, after saying all of this, I think I will install a ionizing smoke alarm in the near future just to be on the safe side.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1184 posts
844 upvotes
QuinteWest
Kewals wrote: Interesting, these use AA batteries. I'll check if my local HH will honour the price tomorrow. I need 2 hardwired combo units.
No panic if they can't. They have been on sale before (two months ago). They will do another in future or another retailer will. Try to order online tonight? I have done that before at Canadian Tire. Store closed and missed a good deal, but went online and ordered for store pickup and still got it at sale price. Slightly Smiling Face
Sep 1, 2014
505 posts
491 upvotes
Ontario
Temporel wrote: That's because deaths occurred with smoke detectors having dead or no battery in it.
Some people will readily buy beer and cigarettes but a 9V battery is too expensive...
If you have a ten year battery that people can't tamper with, you might save lives.
Do you also think that seat belts are a micro management of people's lives?
Oh give me a break! Hahaha.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8903 posts
15989 upvotes
Montreal
liviu23 wrote: Thank you. Interesting, would that be because the battery is removable? There seems to be some stock in Montreal area, why would HD even sell these in store if they are not legal?
You can install an extra (not legal one) as long as you have at least one legal one?
Home Depot don't know/don't care about local bylaws?
"Where is that? Moon-Tree-Hall?"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4761 posts
37018 upvotes
Another 200 units back in stock for free shipping at the moment.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2614 posts
1900 upvotes
Scarborough
Ordered another 3 for the cottage, why not
Apr 2, 2015
254 posts
1303 upvotes
White Rock, BC
That's a great deal, OP. Thanks for finding and sharing it.
Feb 1, 2020
42 posts
46 upvotes
Thank you very much OP. Picked up two from YEG Whitemud location. Still 25+ on the shelf. Note: the packaging is slightly different than on the HD website. It is not purple + green - just purple. There are many models on the shelf, so double-check the product#.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10493 posts
3032 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Temporel wrote: You can install an extra (not legal one) as long as you have at least one legal one?
Home Depot don't know/don't care about local bylaws?
"Where is that? Moon-Tree-Hall?"
Wellll, in theory homeowners in QC can't even install a light fixture themselves, so basically the whole electrical and plumbing section would be "illegal" lol
Jul 30, 2007
109 posts
19 upvotes
hill15 wrote: Was it ISPU or ship to home?
It was shipped to nearby store for pickup. I tried again. We'll see what happens!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3009 posts
3271 upvotes
Montreal
liviu23 wrote: Thank you

Interesting, would that be because the battery is removable?

There seems to be some stock in Montreal area, why would HD even sell these in store if they are not legal?
Tbh, as long as they work and are not 10 years old, install a few everywhere of different type and you are good to go.

At the end of the day, you only want 1 to beep.

Install 1 in each bedroom, each floor, mechanical room, etc.
Aug 26, 2019
345 posts
637 upvotes
Who even needs a smoke detector? Just become an insomniac and you'll never need to fear of dying due to smoke inhalation in your sleep.
Jul 2, 2005
429 posts
166 upvotes
Mississauga
simplypop wrote: Aside from price I thought CO always had to be near the ground? Is it as “effectiv if it’s on ceiling ?
The one that's mostly installed lower to the ground is for combustible gas like propane.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
ezacarias wrote: The one that's mostly installed lower to the ground is for combustible gas like propane.
Huh???? Then what about all the CO detectors that you plug into the wall. Not many power outlets are near the ceiling

How would these be for a garage with cars in them. None of my smoke detectors expire for almost 9 years. And the closest one expired is Aug 2023.

But realize my garage doesnt have one. Would the CO go off when the cars are pulled in and out of the garage
Apr 16, 2014
261 posts
360 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Got a notice from UPS that I have a package from KIDDE arriving tomorrow. Must be my 2 smoke detectors I ordered thanks to this thread!
Aug 20, 2020
66 posts
22 upvotes
got mine today. Packaging does not look the same as on the site, but the model number is the same. Packaging is purple. Replacement year is 2031. Battery is already installed with a pull tab (so cannot tell if it is a Duracell Ultra battery). If someone plans on opening theirs, please report back on the battery type.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)