Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Kidde Battery Operated Photoelectric Combination Smoke and CO Detector with Voice Alert $19.84 (reg. $53.82)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2022 9:26 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2008
1041 posts
1116 upvotes
Montreal
SquadG wrote: Tbh, as long as they work and are not 10 years old, install a few everywhere of different type and you are good to go.

At the end of the day, you only want 1 to beep.

Install 1 in each bedroom, each floor, mechanical room, etc.
Thanks, I was asking because I have a rental property in the Montreal area. Trying to sort out the legal requirements
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4781 posts
37302 upvotes
Another 172 units back in stock for free shipping at the moment.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1184 posts
844 upvotes
QuinteWest
Just bought 3 but what a joke at HD Belleville. I could not find the product. Asked an associate for help. They couldn't find them either. Go to check computer, then comes back and says they just got delivered on big shipment. They would be available tomorrow.

I just kept looking through large section and sure enough not only was the item in the wrong spot on the shelf, they had boxes of them on higher shelf! Very bad HD.

Anyway, I have 3 of them that will be installed this weekend.
Images
  • 20220106_184625.jpg
  • 20220106_184620.jpg
  • 20220106_185203_HDR.jpg
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12977 posts
11819 upvotes
Ordered 2 online for store pickup.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $35 5GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 6GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10880 posts
8133 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, all my CO alarms are plug in so this is a good backup. How long is the 9V battery supposed to last?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4705 posts
1410 upvotes
Charlottetown
Local store was showing one in stock, it was phantom stock, so just ordered one online with free shipping, thanks OP.
Dec 16, 2015
406 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto, ON
liviu23 wrote: Thanks, I was asking because I have a rental property in the Montreal area. Trying to sort out the legal requirements
The alarms should be checked regularly though. It’s an oft used landlord excuse to check in every 6 months .
Jan 15, 2009
160 posts
184 upvotes
New Brunswickistan
Thanks OP! In for three. The ones in our house are old AF.
Apr 16, 2014
263 posts
370 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
liviu23 wrote: Thank you

Interesting, would that be because the battery is removable?

There seems to be some stock in Montreal area, why would HD even sell these in store if they are not legal?
These aren't "not legal", as you can (probably) supplement the bylaw requirement with additional smoke detectors should you choose.
Again, *everyone* should double check their local building codes/bylaws to ensure they comply. Your insurance claim (and in some cases negligence responsibility if you rent) may depend upon it.

Smoke/Carbon monoxide detector requirements can be 'complicated' as they may apply differently to private residence housing, rental housing, multi-unit/apartment residences (units themselves and shared spaces), and commercial spaces. They may also apply differently dependent upon the age of the building.
Jul 2, 2005
429 posts
166 upvotes
Mississauga
WikkiWikki wrote: Huh???? Then what about all the CO detectors that you plug into the wall. Not many power outlets are near the ceiling

How would these be for a garage with cars in them. None of my smoke detectors expire for almost 9 years. And the closest one expired is Aug 2023.

But realize my garage doesnt have one. Would the CO go off when the cars are pulled in and out of the garage
You can install CO detectors in any level, (wall or ceiling) because CO gas get's dispersed.
Propane detectors get installed near the floor because Propane gas is heavier, that's why you see these near the floor on RVs and Travel Trailers
Also note that these have optimal operating temperatures, if it's placed in a very cold unheated garage, it's very likely to not detect or have false alarms.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4383 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
liviu23 wrote: Thanks, I was asking because I have a rental property in the Montreal area. Trying to sort out the legal requirements
You better get a 10 years battery one if it wasnt hardwire to begin with.
You dont want to go back each year to change the battery.
And tenant WILL take out the 9V battery from alarm for something else.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
ezacarias wrote: You can install CO detectors in any level, (wall or ceiling) because CO gas get's dispersed.
Propane detectors get installed near the floor because Propane gas is heavier, that's why you see these near the floor on RVs and Travel Trailers
Also note that these have optimal operating temperatures, if it's placed in a very cold unheated garage, it's very likely to not detect or have false alarms.
Oh I know that, but he suggested that the ones in plug ins arent as good and at the ground is for propane
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12977 posts
11819 upvotes
askmom wrote: Tidbit of advice from someone who got quite a scare recently. Moved into a house. First day, we tested both smoke alarms by pressing the test button. Both beeped. A few days later (in the middle of the night) our entire house was filled with smoke & neither detector went off. Took them both down, they looked very dated inside & obviously didn't work. Don't take the risk If in doubt, buy new ones. Test the ones you have with smoke as opposed to pressing the test button. We replaced everything with hardwired smoke/CO with battery backup, alarm/voice command. We also bought a fire extinguisher. Yes, it was expensive for worth it. Learn from our mistake.
I don't test my detectors by the button on the detector alone. I also test my detectors by smoke in a spray can called "CRC Smoke Test"
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $35 5GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 6GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1519 posts
988 upvotes
So is there any data that suggests that you should actually replace the battery every 12 months or less? It seems excessive.
Aug 25, 2018
17 posts
26 upvotes
Seems to be photoelectric one. This is backside of my unit
Images
  • 20220107_202151.jpg
Nov 18, 2019
157 posts
238 upvotes
I always thought co2 was more dense than air and thus would be more practical to be on the floor for a detector?

But a quick Google search shows that I’m wrong. Will buy one. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1028 posts
151 upvotes
Thanks OP, ordered 2 with free shipping, won't both go to store - even showing good stock.
Last time I went to the store there I could not find anything due to staff shortage+laziness combined.
Dec 20, 2017
25 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks op needed new ones for my place, free shipping as no store close by. Seems like a great deal especially with the battery included. Ordered 2.