Expired Hot Deals

Home Depot

Kidde Battery Operated Photoelectric Combination Smoke and CO Detector with Voice Alert $19.84 (reg. $53.82)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2022 9:26 pm
Apr 16, 2014
264 posts
376 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Rooster wrote: For everyone that buy this, get this battery. https://www.amazon.ca/Energizer-Ultimat ... da4dea34d6
Why? Smoke detectors don't really benefit from these 9 volt Lithiums above regular alkaline batteries. These are not the same as the sealed 10 year lithium batteries that come hard wired in other smoke detectors.

They will provide a long shelf life, they will provide continuous higher voltage, and they will operate in colder temperatures. None of those apply to smoke detectors needing a 9 volt battery.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10506 posts
3049 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bishop613 wrote: Why? Smoke detectors don't really benefit from these 9 volt Lithiums above regular alkaline batteries. These are not the same as the sealed 10 year lithium batteries that come hard wired in other smoke detectors.

They will provide a long shelf life, they will provide continuous higher voltage, and they will operate in colder temperatures. None of those apply to smoke detectors needing a 9 volt battery.
Yes correct, do not do that unless you plan on periodically testing it and proactively replacing the lithium battery which kinda defeats its purpose.
Lithium voltage discharge curves and SOC (state of charge) differs greatly that of an alkaline, so the smoke alarm won't be able to beep to indicate a low battery, it will just suddenly stop working with no warning...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4385 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Got this alarm and found the dismount proof lock very annoying. I didn't break the pin to initalizie it but it will still engage. It is very hard to remove the alarm without pressing on the dismount tab which is very hard to push in. I ended up cutting the locking pin at the tab to permanently disable it.
I suggest you to do the same.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4385 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Wheatboy wrote: No. It is true. Especially for slumlords trying to save every penny.

See Jagdish (Jack) Grover

He is always in the news, laughing at the law.
Seem like you have a thing against landlords.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Mar 17, 2015
689 posts
1248 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Seem like you have a thing against landlords.
Quite the assumption; it'd be like suggesting you are a landlord for responding like such.
The one I quoted, Jack Grover, is actually fairly famous in Saskatoon for not maintaining his properties--inside and out. Google him. Glad I never had to deal with anyone like him but then I would never have even considered moving into one of his properties, as most I've seen look condemned (or on the verge of being).

Regardless, OP got my upvote as this was a decent deal.
Jan 27, 2013
179 posts
55 upvotes
SquadG wrote: Tbh, as long as they work and are not 10 years old, install a few everywhere of different type and you are good to go.

At the end of the day, you only want 1 to beep.

Install 1 in each bedroom, each floor, mechanical room, etc.
Just wondering, how many people have a smoke detector and CO detector in each bedroom?

Also, are combo smoke/co detectors just as effective as having individual smoke and co detectors?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
8506 posts
4385 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Wheatboy wrote: Quite the assumption; it'd be like suggesting you are a landlord for responding like such.
The one I quoted, Jack Grover, is actually fairly famous in Saskatoon for not maintaining his properties--inside and out. Google him. Glad I never had to deal with anyone like him but then I would never have even considered moving into one of his properties, as most I've seen look condemned (or on the verge of being).

Regardless, OP got my upvote as this was a decent deal.
Everyone pay attention to things they care about. So when someone mention something, it means that sometimes mean something to them. Usually those who will pay attention to slumlord are tenants. Not 100% but mostly. The more news about slumlord you read, the perception about landlords will steer towards slumlord end. Just like there are mostly good tenants out there, most of the landlords are mostly good. The difference is tenants can damage the property and disappear without real consequences. So the one who get to lose is the one who has asset to lose. The whole concept of our economy here is to put the responsibility on someone. As long as there is someone stuck there to pay the bill. The government won't care who. So they target the easy targets.
All these are not related to this alarm. If I am a landlord, I would not use this alarm without at least modify the mount so that it can be easily removed. When a tenant want to remove it and it is stuck, the only thing they will do is by force and you will see your ceiling has a big hole in it. If you are home owner, this alarm is fine as long as you modify the mounting clip so that it can be easily removed.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1783 posts
342 upvotes
Do these come with batteries? Just want to make sure because I received mine which has totally different packaging compared to the link and it didn't come with a battery
Jan 31, 2009
338 posts
90 upvotes
heat?? wrote: Do these come with batteries? Just want to make sure because I received mine which has totally different packaging compared to the link and it didn't come with a battery
Yes, bought a couple and they came with 9v Duracells already in the smoke detector. Pull out a tab blocking the battery leads once you install it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8447 posts
785 upvotes
Scarborough
There is no need for a smoke detector in every room, a CO detector is good to have for every bedroom. You can use this as a CO detector.
thisblowsgoatsbigtime wrote: Just wondering, how many people have a smoke detector and CO detector in each bedroom?

Also, are combo smoke/co detectors just as effective as having individual smoke and co detectors?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5383 posts
1245 upvotes
Montreal
Is it just me or does Stocktrack shows 53.82? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6918 posts
3443 upvotes
Moncton, NB
cn_habs wrote: Is it just me or does Stocktrack shows 53.82? Thanks.
Yup price went up a few days ago. I wanted to order one last week and put it in my cart. Got distracted and a few days later noticed it jumped in price :(