Home & Garden

Kiddie Hardwired Smoke Detector Blinking Green + Says Low Battery What going on? (Brand new)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2022 11:18 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3376 posts
723 upvotes

Kiddie Hardwired Smoke Detector Blinking Green + Says Low Battery What going on? (Brand new)

Hi

I was doing my bi-yearly smoke + co detector testing today and after I did my testing, one of the them kept flashing every second and chirping.

I went and bought a new smoke + co detector and it powers up green and then all of sudden starts to blink green really fast followed by "low battery"

These ones have the internal battery so I don't know what to do. I finding it hard to believe this brand new one has a low battery.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/kidde- ... 1000806867

*also note I did not rewire anything just installed the new one, they are the same brand so figured I don't need to do the rewiring.

None of the other 5 defectors are having any problems.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26900 posts
6133 upvotes
Perhaps the new one you bought is defective.
Return it and get a new one
Dec 25, 2006
727 posts
662 upvotes
Ottawa
Does yours require a 9 volt battery? My detectors are hard wired as well, but have a 9 volt battery backup.
Jul 29, 2006
553 posts
740 upvotes
Ottawa
Is there an end of life sticker on the side? Check the date to make sure it's not old stock. I'd return and get a new one.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15089 upvotes
GTA, ON
Kidde is known to have problems with false alarms etc.
Replace it with First Alert / BRK
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3376 posts
723 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Perhaps the new one you bought is defective.
Return it and get a new one
Not sure if this was the problem or what but at first I had to hanging down to see if it worked before twisting it in place.

I twisted it place but still got the low battery message but then ran the test button again and now it's happy.
marksmithy69 wrote: Does yours require a 9 volt battery? My detectors are hard wired as well, but have a 9 volt battery backup.
No this one's have a built in lithium battery what should last 10 years. It's supposed to be more convenient and I guess it's cheaper as if you got the 9v ones they say you should change that battery every 6 months or at least once a year.

congo wrote: Is there an end of life sticker on the side? Check the date to make sure it's not old stock. I'd return and get a new one.
The new ones are bit weird on the box they say good for 10 years from day of installation. But then in the device it has a place to right now that year but also under it has 2032.
chimaican wrote: Kidde is known to have problems with false alarms etc.
Replace it with First Alert / BRK
Hmm, sadly most stores sell Kidde. When I needed 3 new detector in my place the guy who installed BKk but I don't like them as the test button is small plus I like when they speak.

I will look into first alert though.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2108 posts
1201 upvotes
Oakville
Haven't bought the 10 year non-replaceable battery version, but any pre-installed battery version used to have some pull tab that needed to be removed to prevent the built in battery from being used up before installation.

I assume if yours didn't have a removable battery protection tab, then it must enable/complete the built in battery backup circuit when you actually mounted it on the mounting plate. Hence how they can claim 10 years from date of installation instead of 10 years from date of manufacture since the battery isn't enabled until you install it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6041 posts
1413 upvotes
rural ontario
I was disappointed that when i bought replacement hardwired that now they only come with a battery backup of some kind.
They came with a warning note saying to do something in a certain way when first using it to avoid the battery fail signal (it had the 10 year type - and it was not simple like pull the battery tab). I don't recall what it was right now, but it was Kiddie brand from Costco.

If you look online at Kiddie hardwired alarms at HomeDepot, go to the comments section where people complain about this and there is a solution mentioned.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17287 posts
15089 upvotes
GTA, ON
xiaobao wrote: Hmm, sadly most stores sell Kidde. When I needed 3 new detector in my place the guy who installed BKk but I don't like them as the test button is small plus I like when they speak.

I will look into first alert though.
Lowe's / Rona sells the First Alerts. They tend to go on sale at least 2x a year.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1427 posts
986 upvotes
London, On
rilles wrote: I was disappointed that when i bought replacement hardwired that now they only come with a battery backup of some kind.
They came with a warning note saying to do something in a certain way when first using it to avoid the battery fail signal (it had the 10 year type - and it was not simple like pull the battery tab). I don't recall what it was right now, but it was Kiddie brand from Costco.

If you look online at Kiddie hardwired alarms at HomeDepot, go to the comments section where people complain about this and there is a solution mentioned.
Funny, I just replaced all of ours recently, and there was something that activated the battery that I don't recall either and this was only 2 months ago. Maybe it was the way you twist the unit into its mounting bracket? I'm curious now, but not curious enough to take one down to take a look lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
3376 posts
723 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Lowe's / Rona sells the First Alerts. They tend to go on sale at least 2x a year.
Yeah one time is October hoping I can buy them on sale when I need to replace them all. Worried going to need to replace one at a time as they will break.

I will check them out next time I need you replace.
djeffery wrote: Funny, I just replaced all of ours recently, and there was something that activated the battery that I don't recall either and this was only 2 months ago. Maybe it was the way you twist the unit into its mounting bracket? I'm curious now, but not curious enough to take one down to take a look lol
Yeah maybe, I also don't want to take it down lol.

Happy the new one is soild green and not beeping.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7494 posts
2405 upvotes
0 downvotes
I would steer far away from Kiddie, Stick with First Alert or BRK.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!