• Jul 13th, 2015 2:14 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 23, 2006
532 posts
55 upvotes

Kids bike on newly paved driveway

Good morning all. I'm having our driveway paved today, and from what I've read I shouldn't put a vehicle on it for at least 4 days. Maybe more since it's supposed to be pretty hot the next few days here in Ottawa. Just wondering how long I have to wait in order for the kids to ride their bikes on it (4, 5 and 9), or even how long before walking on it?

Thx.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
The biggest problem with bikes is actually the kickstand. If the bike is on a kickstand, on a recently paved driveway, it will leave a big dent. I seriously would avoid this for the summer and leave the bikes on the lawn and wait until next summer which even then if the driveway wasn't properly done, it will still leave a mark.
[OP]
May 23, 2006
532 posts
55 upvotes
Only the oldest one has a kickstand on her bike, and I've got no problem simply taking it off.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1055 posts
156 upvotes
You just have to wait till the asphalt cools down, say overnight. On roads, they put traffic on new pavement a few hours later.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3530 posts
639 upvotes
Corktown
When our driveway was paved, I did not want to leave one of my vehicles (4400 lbs) on the road overnight. So, when the sun set, I opened the garage door, and drove the car straight into the garage without stopping. No problems with the fresh driveway.

A couple of kids and their bikes will be fine. Of course a dropped bike could cause damage if the handle bar or pedal dug into the surface. And any edges at the lawn, if raised, should be off limits.
[OP]
May 23, 2006
532 posts
55 upvotes
OK, well it's been almost 4 full days now and I've managed to keep the kids off of it completely. Surely to god they must be able to bike on it by now (minus the kickstands of course)?

:D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)