• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2021 11:36 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5698 posts
677 upvotes

Kid's Bike - Vibrating in Bike Pedals

Just picked up a used bike - I'm finding some rattling noises when peddling. Can also feel a slight vibration through the pedals.

I think I've narrowed it down to the plastic pieces causing the rattle. What is this piece called? If I replace this piece, will the rattle improve? Or is a rattling sound from this piece considered normal? (it's hard plastic, after all)

The rattle is worse at certain gears, particularly when a certain gear causes a sharper angle in the chain hitting the edge of the highlighted piece.

This is intended for leisurely riding, so hoping not to spend a ton to fix this. But if replacing a few parts will improve this, I'm up for the challenge of figuring this out...
Bike Chain.jpg
2 replies
Aug 5, 2010
401 posts
146 upvotes
Chain looks pretty dry - perhaps try some lubricant there first and see if things improve? Those appear to be chain guides to prevent the chain from falling off - never seen them on a kids bike before. If you remove them, you might need to shorten the chain as it might become very slack.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1204 posts
702 upvotes
Manitoba
That is a weird looking setup...the bike does not need those rollers/chain guides as they are not used on rough trails. I would recommend removing those and cutting the chain to the correct length.