Home & Garden

kids damaged casement window screen, company went out of business,. manufacturer exists but wont sell to me

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 1:01 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4823 posts
1441 upvotes
0 downvotes

kids damaged casement window screen, company went out of business,. manufacturer exists but wont sell to me

our house has a few casement windows, the kids one day broke the screen so we are afraid to open the window cus of safety concerns in one of the rooms. i found the paper work from the previous home owner left me, and tried to call up the company, they are out of business for the last 3 or 4 years. but i found the manufacturer, they wont sell to me, they are NOT open to the public (or catholic) and told me i have to buy a new screen from one of their resellers but they want like $100 bucks for a simple screen, waht to do? i have the measurements, the screen has the little spring loaded pins to hold it in place, i just want really a new frame for the screen i can re-use the screen but no one wants to help me
Hi
17 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10063 posts
5325 upvotes
Paris
GoodFellaz wrote: our house has a few casement windows, the kids one day broke the screen so we are afraid to open the window cus of safety concerns in one of the rooms. i found the paper work from the previous home owner left me, and tried to call up the company, they are out of business for the last 3 or 4 years. but i found the manufacturer, they wont sell to me, they are NOT open to the public (or catholic) and told me i have to buy a new screen from one of their resellers but they want like $100 bucks for a simple screen, waht to do? i have the measurements, the screen has the little spring loaded pins to hold it in place, i just want really a new frame for the screen i can re-use the screen but no one wants to help me
I am confused... is just the screening cooked or the whole frame? If its just the screening, call around. My local Home Hardware does a brisk business in screens and actually can make screen frames as well.

If its the frame too, then call a glass shop. Out of warranty $60 for a screen from a manufacturer or my local Home Hardware is the minimum I think.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4823 posts
1441 upvotes
0 downvotes
the window is FINE. works, but the mesh screen and the FRAME of the screen is broken, actually the mesh screen is still okay i can technically re-use it
Hi
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1627 posts
628 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
GoodFellaz wrote: the window is FINE. works, but the mesh screen and the FRAME of the screen is broken, actually the mesh screen is still okay i can technically re-use it
pay the 100$ and move on...
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27255 posts
6752 upvotes
Hamilton
Pay the $100

Send bill to the kids
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4328 posts
3774 upvotes
Toronto
Just make your own. They sell frames that you just cut yourself or a full kit with frame, mesh, tools, etc. Some examples:

LINK
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4823 posts
1441 upvotes
0 downvotes
mine has spring loaded pins to lock it in place, the ones they sell at home depo / lowes wont lineup
Hi
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4823 posts
1441 upvotes
0 downvotes
yao416 wrote: Pay the $100

Send bill to the kids
this is red flag DEALS, i came asking for a DEAL. not to be robbed
Hi
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27255 posts
6752 upvotes
Hamilton
GoodFellaz wrote: this is red flag DEALS, i came asking for a DEAL. not to be robbed
Fine. Bill them $200
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
2056 posts
530 upvotes
Really?
Just pay it and move on is the best advise.
Mar 1, 2016
201 posts
119 upvotes
Just curious...what does a catholic manufacturer look like?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10063 posts
5325 upvotes
Paris
GoodFellaz wrote: this is red flag DEALS, i came asking for a DEAL. not to be robbed
$60 will be the best you can do. Find a local glass shop.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4823 posts
1441 upvotes
0 downvotes
BigDurian wrote: Just curious...what does a catholic manufacturer look like?
I dunno, ever since I was little, My dad told me we are Catholic so we go to Catholic School not public school. Then one day we were driving on Orfus Road, and my dad saw a store and said "oh look, its open to the Public" and I said "aww man, we can't go cus its not open to the catholic" my dad tried to explain why i was wrong but I was so upset that I did not listen to his reason.
Hi
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12136 posts
8877 upvotes
GTA, ON
Unamused Face
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3021 posts
1611 upvotes
Mississauga
Throw this troll thread in the bushes
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4823 posts
1441 upvotes
0 downvotes
well i've been super duper busy with work, family, etc. but im going to just find 4-5 window companies and go with the first person who gets back to me who can get the screen the fastest, im going to give them not just the dimensions of the screen frame but where the spring loaded pin holes are so they can put them in the new ones. i hate it when companies go out of business it messes people up.
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9509 posts
2070 upvotes
Somewhere
yao416 wrote: Fine. Bill them $200
good advise
rob or be robbed
keep an ongoing invoice of childcare costs and bill them kids when they turn 18
:confused:
Deal Expert