Health & Wellness

Kids have covid with only one vaccine shot, do we wait to get the second shot now?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2022 9:54 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6739 posts
2422 upvotes

Kids have covid with only one vaccine shot, do we wait to get the second shot now?

Kids have covid and scheduled to get their second vaccine in two weeks. What are we supposed to do? The few sites I found that touched on it suggest still getting the vaccine but what is the point? They should be immune for minimum 4-6 months. What would you guys do?
20 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15494 posts
12949 upvotes
GTA, ON
Call your local public health unit and ask.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28952 posts
4644 upvotes
Montreal
I've seen a lot of this. I would wait 8-12 weeks so that they get a decent interval to their "boost"

Remember that kids don't get a 3rd dose so you want to max the longevity of protection.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5949 posts
3892 upvotes
SW ON
If delta is not coming back there may be no point in any further shots.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6739 posts
2422 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Read this. It's about adults but the basic principle applies.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-s-ad ... -1.5745103
Thanks. It's scary we don't really know what we are doing with this yet. I wanted to travel but I guess we won't be traveling. I will wait about four months for the kids to get booster. Who knows where this will all be at by then.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28952 posts
4644 upvotes
Montreal
baz5 wrote: Thanks. It's scary we don't really know what we are doing with this yet. I wanted to travel but I guess we won't be traveling. I will wait about four months for the kids to get booster. Who knows where this will all be at by then.
If you need it for travel, you can go 8 weeks from infection to dose 2.
Feb 28, 2009
878 posts
537 upvotes
Ottawa
Sorry - slightly hijacking the thread but simewhat related.

Whats the vaccine requirement for children 5-11 who enter USA? is it one dose? Two? Or is there even a requirement for that age group?
Jan 15, 2013
135 posts
34 upvotes
Moncton
If you don't find a doctor on here to give you medical advice on your kids health you can always try facebook. Lots of Dr's there.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1091 posts
1815 upvotes
Canada
baz5 wrote: Kids have covid and scheduled to get their second vaccine in two weeks. What are we supposed to do? The few sites I found that touched on it suggest still getting the vaccine but what is the point? They should be immune for minimum 4-6 months. What would you guys do?
The children have FULL immunity after TWO DOSES under CURRENT guidelines. Things keep changing as the variants keep changing. Also both parents should self isolate at home if the children have COVID.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6739 posts
2422 upvotes
kimmelite wrote: The children have FULL immunity after TWO DOSES under CURRENT guidelines. Things keep changing as the variants keep changing. Also both parents should self isolate at home if the children have COVID.
That answered nothing. Thanks
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6739 posts
2422 upvotes
gilead99 wrote: If you don't find a doctor on here to give you medical advice on your kids health you can always try facebook. Lots of Dr's there.
This will probably blow your mind but the reality is most doctors don't have a clue about anything other than what they learned in school decades ago. Very few actually keep up to date on new science, nevermind a virus that changes daily.

I have been in the health industry for over 20 years, I've owned a gym and had a few doctors that didn't know the first thing about basic nutrition and health. These guys probably giving people advice daily on how to be "healthy", advice that you would go and listen to because it's a doctor after all. I've had to correct my own doctor numerous times to the point where he left the room and came back, i assume to go google what I've told him.

My reason for asking here is because quite a few people stay up to date on the newest research. So thank you for your idiotic reply. No one seems to really know. Of course they will just say oh yeah go get the vaccine.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35330 posts
8738 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Medicine is not an exact science and doctors don’t have a clue.

Do what you think makes sense. If you ask three doctors, you will get three different answers and they can all be wrong

I would personally wait. After you kids recover, they should have some immunity.

Seek the advice of a medical practitioner, but you need to determine what’s best for them.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
6627 posts
2068 upvotes
0 downvotes
The covid vaccine (shot 1 and 2) as well as Booster, are all formulated to the spike protein of the original Covid strain. There is nothing wrong with this, it just means you will experience breakthru infection, but you have sufficient b and t cells to fight it off to prevent serious illness, so basically your sick for 3 to 5 days.

I would wait till the NEW covid shot comes out later this year april to june which is formulated for the omnicron and omnicron 2.0 spike protein. If you get the original shots and this one, in about 14 days you will have immunity to the previous variant as well as the current stain of covid. This means you are less likely to actually have breakthru infection, as your body has antibodies which will block the mutated spike protein of the omnicron/omnicron 2.0 from penetrating your cells and getting thru,

The only reason they are pushing the booster is cus they ordered so many doses of it and the new dose formulated to the omnicron is not out yet so they want to use up the old inventory before the drug manufacturers replenish their stock once the new omnicron vaccine comes out.
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2435 posts
597 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
https://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/Article? ... b=COVID-19

If my child or I already had COVID-19, should we still get the vaccine?
Yes. It is recommended that anyone who has had COVID-19 should still get the vaccine, but only after they have recovered from their illness. The clinical trials included people who previously had COVID-19, and the vaccine was found to be safe for them. Because it is not known how long antibodies against COVID-19 last after infection and it is possible to get the infection again (sometimes more severely), the vaccine is recommended as it can be helpful in boosting a person's existing immunity to COVID-19.

How long should I wait after being infected with COVID-19 to get the vaccine?
There is no specific amount of time required to wait between infection and vaccination. As long as you no longer have symptoms, completed the self-isolation period as per your local public health guidelines and are fully recovered from the virus, vaccination is recommended.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15351 posts
9913 upvotes
Southern Ontario
(NACI)
5y+ 4-8w "who are moderately to severely immunocompromised and with no previous history of MIS-C"
5y+ 8w "who are NOT..." ie; regular kids

Also, it's unclear whether waiting for an Omicron specific vaccine helps increase breadth and at least one study says no. If this is the case, timing is the more important factor. The vaccines are stimulants, I personally would want consistency. We give multiple shots of the same HepB vaccine, not different ones. In theory, is there a partial reset with a different spike? Because the original vaccines already create breadth against variants, existing matured broad memory is being boosted, not something new.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5949 posts
3892 upvotes
SW ON
AncasterRFD wrote: We give multiple shots of the same HepB vaccine, not different ones. In theory, is there a partial reset with a different spike? Because the original vaccines already create breadth against variants, existing matured broad memory is being boosted, not something new.
But multiple shots of the same Hepatitis B vaccine are against the same virus. On the other hand, the flu vaccine is updated every year for the same species, i.e., the IBV component (and others) is updated every year. And the antigenic drift for each Influenza species changes the virus probably less than COVID has changed so far, yet the vaccine is updated. What's the logic in not updating COVID vaccines?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28952 posts
4644 upvotes
Montreal
alpovs wrote: But multiple shots of the same Hepatitis B vaccine are against the same virus. On the other hand, the flu vaccine is updated every year for the same species, i.e., the IBV component (and others) is updated every year. And the antigenic drift for each Influenza species changes the virus probably less than COVID has changed so far, yet the vaccine is updated. What's the logic in not updating COVID vaccines?
They won't update the primary 2 dose series for kids. Pfizer's trial for.the omicron specific vaccine is as a 3rd.or 4th dose I believe. Even if it's brought to market, there will be delay until it's rolled out in kids who have yet to qualify for any third dose.

The main risk in updating the vaccine is if the next variant looks nothing like omicron. There are animal studies that show omicron specific shots give no cross protection against older variants.

Influenza has a more predictable level of antigenic drift:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substac ... xt-booster

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)