Shopping Discussion

Kijiji buyer with buyers remorse (or looking for better deal)?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 7:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1304 posts
555 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Kijiji buyer with buyers remorse (or looking for better deal)?

I sold some patio furniture through Kijiji to a local buyer this evening. I described the furniture on Kijiji as brand new/sealed in box and never opened - this description is entirely true. I literally moved the box carefully to my car and sold it in the exact same condition/packaging as I received it without opening it (it was purchased from Canadian Tire and did not rough handle the box etc).

During the pick up, I clearly offered the buyer to go ahead and open the box/packaging and take a look inside if he wanted to. He flat out said, "no, thats OK"

Then, an hour later, this is what he messages me (through Kijiji). He does not have my phone number (I am copy/pasting our conversation so there is no bias etc in the way I describe what our exchange was next):

Kijiji Buyer: Dude seriously? I have your license plate number. If you do not contact me back immediately I will look up your address and come find you myself.

Me: What's the problem?

Kijiji Buyer: There a tear in the box and the cushion is damaged. I noticed the tear as soon as I took the box out of my car. There’s no way it could have happened when I took box out because the tear is in the wrong direction. If there was even a remote chance that I did it I would not be coming after you like this....

Me: Never opened the box to check inside. But yeah there was a tear on 1 side of the box that's how I received it. Can you just tape the box back up as best you can? Will pay you back in full and try to return it.




There definitely was a tear on 1 side of the box - I presumed he noticed it when I picked up the box and brought it over to his vehicle. I certainly did not try to hide the tear or any part of the box during the pick up. At this point in our exchange, I genuinely felt bad and did not want to live with the guilt of making the buyer feel like I was trying to pull a fast one on him. But his next message(s) are now making me think twice about how I should proceed with this...

Kijiji buyer: Alright. Can you come dt and grab it? You paid 200 for it right? If you send me half my money back Id be willing to keep it and tape up the tear. Otherwise I will give it back to you tomorrow. Even if you give me 100 back I’d be fine with that. I honestly thought you tried to scam me, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt....



So my questions are,

a) While at first I was 100% convinced to give him the money back and take the patio furniture back, once he offered to pay me half the money and taping up the tear, I feel a bit more conflicted in terms of what I should do. Is the buyer wanting to get a better deal/price? Is there a possibility he may be trying to pull something on me by not returning all the contents back to the box or possibly trying to stuff the box with parts that he previously had for the same bench that may have previously been damaged?

b) What would you do if you were in this situation? As I mentioned, I never opened the box to check the contents inside - I have purchased items roughly this size from Cdn Tire (car seats, patio furniture etc) plenty of times and it is not unusual for the boxes to have some sort of imperfection like a tear etc. The tear certainly did not appear big enough for me to even consider that the content(s) inside would be torn or damaged....
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 24, 2012
5875 posts
2127 upvotes
Space
Some people are crazy. I wouldn’t even give him a refund on the basis of sold as is, where is. If he wants a refund tell him to go to a store.
Member
Apr 10, 2020
294 posts
1081 upvotes
RigorMortis wrote: I sold some patio furniture through Kijiji to a local buyer this evening. I described the furniture on Kijiji as brand new/sealed in box and never opened - this description is entirely true. I literally moved the box carefully to my car and sold it in the exact same condition/packaging as I received it without opening it (it was purchased from Canadian Tire and did not rough handle the box etc).

During the pick up, I clearly offered the buyer to go ahead and open the box/packaging and take a look inside if he wanted to. He flat out said, "no, thats OK"

Then, an hour later, this is what he messages me (through Kijiji). He does not have my phone number (I am copy/pasting our conversation so there is no bias etc in the way I describe what our exchange was next):

Kijiji Buyer: Dude seriously? I have your license plate number. If you do not contact me back immediately I will look up your address and come find you myself.

Me: What's the problem?

Kijiji Buyer: There a tear in the box and the cushion is damaged. I noticed the tear as soon as I took the box out of my car. There’s no way it could have happened when I took box out because the tear is in the wrong direction. If there was even a remote chance that I did it I would not be coming after you like this....

Me: Never opened the box to check inside. But yeah there was a tear on 1 side of the box that's how I received it. Can you just tape the box back up as best you can? Will pay you back in full and try to return it.




There definitely was a tear on 1 side of the box - I presumed he noticed it when I picked up the box and brought it over to his vehicle. I certainly did not try to hide the tear or any part of the box during the pick up. At this point in our exchange, I genuinely felt bad and did not want to live with the guilt of making the buyer feel like I was trying to pull a fast one on him. But his next message(s) are now making me think twice about how I should proceed with this...

Kijiji buyer: Alright. Can you come dt and grab it? You paid 200 for it right? If you send me half my money back Id be willing to keep it and tape up the tear. Otherwise I will give it back to you tomorrow. Even if you give me 100 back I’d be fine with that. I honestly thought you tried to scam me, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt....



So my questions are,

a) While at first I was 100% convinced to give him the money back and take the patio furniture back, once he offered to pay me half the money and taping up the tear, I feel a bit more conflicted in terms of what I should do. Is the buyer wanting to get a better deal/price? Is there a possibility he may be trying to pull something on me by not returning all the contents back to the box or possibly trying to stuff the box with parts that he previously had for the same bench that may have previously been damaged?

b) What would you do if you were in this situation? As I mentioned, I never opened the box to check the contents inside - I have purchased items roughly this size from Cdn Tire (car seats, patio furniture etc) plenty of times and it is not unusual for the boxes to have some sort of imperfection like a tear etc. The tear certainly did not appear big enough for me to even consider that the content(s) inside would be torn or damaged....
Caveat emptor. You offered the buyer to take a look before he hauled it away. He chose not to check before the purchase is made.

It is his responsibility, not yours. You did nothing wrong and you are not obligated to give him back his money.

If he continues to threaten you, seek legal advice from a lawyer with respect to his behaviour.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13050 posts
8290 upvotes
Markham
Tell him you would contact with police if he continue to threat you
Member
User avatar
Oct 18, 2019
274 posts
162 upvotes
GTA West
I'm curious why you did not just return it to CT and get a refund, if it hasn't been open why wouldn't CT refund you?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1304 posts
555 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Sonofman wrote: I'm curious why you did not just return it to CT and get a refund, if it hasn't been open why wouldn't CT refund you?
Well, the box has been opened now, by the buyer. I would have tried to return it back to CT once he identified the contents inside were damaged/torn, but his last few messages seem shady.

It sounds like he wants to keep the furniture and get a partial refund which makes me wonder if there is any damage to the furniture at all or if he is trying to use the tear on the 1 side of the box to leverage a better deal/price.

I have no way of knowing what the contents inside were like initially since I did not open the box before selling it to him.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1304 posts
555 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the input everyone. A final question,

I don't believe he has my license plate number but in the unlikely event that he does, what can one really do with that information in a kijiji interaction such as this one?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1116 posts
1983 upvotes
Ontario
RigorMortis wrote: Thanks for the input everyone. A final question,

I don't believe he has my license plate number but in the unlikely event that he does, what can one really do with that information in a kijiji interaction such as this one?
Nothing. Worst case he contacts the police, gives your plate number and says you scammed him while thinking he has any sort of high ground here. You have the chat history showing all of this. They'll tell him to pound salt, nothing illegal or against the law was done here, if anything, his threats to you would just turn the tables and get him in trouble.

Screenshot the chat history, and also take a photo from another phone too. The history will eventually disappear from Kijiji, but I would hang onto it for a while. The photo taken from the other phone verifies nothing was doctored in screenshots. I did have someone once use their developer console in the browser to fake a message I apparently wrote them on Marketplace in a similar situation (except over a $5 item). I took a photo on my phone which proved I was showing the original and helped me with the group admins.

Kijiji is full of a-holes. This is generally the reason I now suggest meeting in police parking lots and always specifically tell them in writing (and in person) to ensure they inspect the entire item before paying.
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
927 upvotes
RigorMortis wrote: Thanks for the input everyone. A final question,

I don't believe he has my license plate number but in the unlikely event that he does, what can one really do with that information in a kijiji interaction such as this one?
nothing. block him on kijiji so you don't deal with him again and move on.

if he decides to call the police they won't do anything as it's a civil matter and police can't force someone to give someone money or something.

worst thing that he can do is try and sue you which will cost more in legal fees than the item is worth.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22578 upvotes
GTA
RigorMortis wrote: Well, the box has been opened now, by the buyer. I would have tried to return it back to CT once he identified the contents inside were damaged/torn, but his last few messages seem shady.

It sounds like he wants to keep the furniture and get a partial refund which makes me wonder if there is any damage to the furniture at all or if he is trying to use the tear on the 1 side of the box to leverage a better deal/price.

I have no way of knowing what the contents inside were like initially since I did not open the box before selling it to him.
Why did you choose to sell on kijiji instead of returning to CT? That seems insane, unless you were looking to profit off a sale or something.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22578 upvotes
GTA
RigorMortis wrote: Thanks for the input everyone. A final question,

I don't believe he has my license plate number but in the unlikely event that he does, what can one really do with that information in a kijiji interaction such as this one?
If he has a dashcam it would be easy to have your plate number. Sounds like you didn't meet at your house so you should be OK. If he continues to threaten, tell him you have his plate info and are contacting the police.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2490 posts
1809 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
"911 what is your emergency?"

"Um, yeah, I bought a patio furniture set from this guy on Kijiji and one of the cushions has a tear in it."

"How is this an emergency?"

"I told him I'd find out where he'd live if he didn't give me back my money."

"WE'LL CALL THE POLICE RIGHT AWAY!"
Member
User avatar
Oct 18, 2019
274 posts
162 upvotes
GTA West
RigorMortis wrote: Well, the box has been opened now, by the buyer. I would have tried to return it back to CT once he identified the contents inside were damaged/torn, but his last few messages seem shady.

It sounds like he wants to keep the furniture and get a partial refund which makes me wonder if there is any damage to the furniture at all or if he is trying to use the tear on the 1 side of the box to leverage a better deal/price.

I have no way of knowing what the contents inside were like initially since I did not open the box before selling it to him.
I'm talking about why didn't you just return it and get a refund, why did you have to sell it in the first place?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1304 posts
555 upvotes
Calgary, AB
engineered wrote: Why did you choose to sell on kijiji instead of returning to CT? That seems insane, unless you were looking to profit off a sale or something.
Well, yes, I did buy the furniture through CT on clearance and sold it for more than I paid for it. It was on clearance for a really good price so I picked it up but then the wife did not care for it despite the value. I figured I would see if I could sell it through kijiji, if not, would have returned to CT any way.

Like I've said though, I did not open the box to inspect the content inside and the tear on the outside of the box did not appear to be nearly enough to cause damage to the contents inside.

So until I heard from the buyer, I had no clue about any damage to the furniture inside
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1304 posts
555 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Sonofman wrote: I'm talking about why didn't you just return it and get a refund, why did you have to sell it in the first place?
See the post below yours where I quoted @engineered
Newbie
May 13, 2015
35 posts
30 upvotes
Something very similar happened to me. When I received the angry email I immediately suggested he return it to me and I would give him his money back. Did not hear from him again. I’d give him his money back so that I don’t have to worry and deal with someone like that. I wouldn’t give a partial refund.
Member
User avatar
Oct 18, 2019
274 posts
162 upvotes
GTA West
lol there a reason why things get put in the clearance section. I'm curious also when you sold it to him did you also tell him you got it from the clearance section? Either give him what he's offering you or take it back and give him his money back, end of story.
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
927 upvotes
Sonofman wrote: lol there a reason why things get put in the clearance section. I'm curious also when you sold it to him did you also tell him you got it from the clearance section? Either give him what he's offering you or take it back and give him his money back, end of story.
?????????????????

OP isn't a retail store. OP even gave him the chance to inspect the item.

no matter what i'm buying, i'm checking to make sure the item is as described.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2490 posts
1809 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
RigorMortis wrote: Well, yes, I did buy the furniture through CT on clearance and sold it for more than I paid for it. It was on clearance for a really good price so I picked it up but then the wife did not care for it despite the value. I figured I would see if I could sell it through kijiji, if not, would have returned to CT any way.

Like I've said though, I did not open the box to inspect the content inside and the tear on the outside of the box did not appear to be nearly enough to cause damage to the contents inside.

So until I heard from the buyer, I had no clue about any damage to the furniture inside
You did nothing wrong in terms of the Kijiji sale. Your only mistake was trusting CT ;)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)