• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 8:42 am
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 15, 2007
559 posts
53 upvotes

Person from Kijiji wants me to ship the item instead of a meetup

After agreeing on the price, the customer then went on to inform me she's buying the phone for her Navy friend and she's willing to pay $80 for the shipping. I asked her, to avoid any problems it would be better if I just meet up with her and she can ship off the item herself. She replied saying she is actually out of town and "Presently out of town for work otherwise would have meet upo with you but since i can't , you dont have to worry cos i will specify the shipping option i want to you and will also name it in the PayPal payment. Hope you understand ?."

I don't know why, but its either her terrible spelling or the fact she is looking at a local ad from a different city that is throwing me off. If I do ship it off and include a tracking number is there anyway I can get scammed here?
Thanks guys
3397 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3143 posts
169 upvotes
East York
Gebraroest wrote: After agreeing on the price, the customer then went on to inform me she's buying the phone for her Navy friend and she's willing to pay $80 for the shipping. I asked her, to avoid any problems it would be better if I just meet up with her and she can ship off the item herself. She replied saying she is actually out of town and "Presently out of town for work otherwise would have meet upo with you but since i can't , you dont have to worry cos i will specify the shipping option i want to you and will also name it in the PayPal payment. Hope you understand ?."

I don't know why, but its either her terrible spelling or the fact she is looking at a local ad from a different city that is throwing me off. If I do ship it off and include a tracking number is there anyway I can get scammed here?
Thanks guys
I'd say scam - and find another buyer.....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8605 posts
1079 upvotes
I would have to agree.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1765 upvotes
Too much of a risk to go for. If you are looking to take chance and deal with the hassle then its your call, personally I would sell local even for less.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2612 posts
159 upvotes
Burlington
Yep, don't bother. A tracking number proves they got something or didn't to some degree... could simply be someone saying "someone else must have signed for it". That being said too many complications to worry about and I would waste the time and go through the hassle of trying to deal with possible issues later. Find someone else!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2006
2144 posts
228 upvotes
Thornhill
Scam most likely, they will do a PayPal chargeback/dispute.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4050 posts
245 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Tell her you do deals only locally
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2737 posts
352 upvotes
Ontario GTA
If you are going to so ship, have them send you money via something like interac e-mail money transfers.

if she doesn't want to do that, then it's not worth the risk for you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7016 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
Just don't do it. I tried that once; it dragged on for weeks and it didn't end well. I can't say this is a scam or not. But it would be a lot easier to just do it locally for cash, much lesser chance for headaches.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9005 posts
2548 upvotes
London
Myv wrote: Scam most likely, they will do a PayPal chargeback/dispute.
or use a stolen PP account, or use a stolen CC to fund the transaction, or send you fake information saying the transaction has gone through, or suddenly she'll have trouble with PP and request you take a certified check, or yadda yadda yadda.

It ain't worth the hassle. Schemes like this prey on the greedy people that see the extra money for the shipping and lose their common sense.
Nov 25, 2003
925 posts
33 upvotes
The_Madz wrote: If you are going to so ship, have them send you money via something like interac e-mail money transfers.
if she doesn't want to do that, then it's not worth the risk for you.
This. EMTs are supposed to be irreversible once deposited.
Once a transfer has been deposited, it cannot be cancelled or reversed.
Like using cash, you should send money transfers only to parties you know and trust. For most uses of the Interac e-Transfer service (sending money to family and friends, repaying IOUs, sending monetary gifts, etc.), you know the recipient well. For uses where you may not know the receiver well (e.g., online auction purchases), take the precautions you would take when making cash purchases. For auctions and online purchases, be sure to read and follow steps as recommended by operators of these websites to protect your money.

http://www.interac.ca/consumers/faqs.php#A_55
Really your best best is probably to find a local buyer. The headache that may follow just isn't worth it.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11411 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
Just stop responding and forget this whole deal.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4136 upvotes
Toronto
If it's those multi-message (1/2) ... (2/2) SMS message guys that respond instantly (automated) that ask you for a paypal invoice for 25% more amount than you're asking for, and wants you to send to their cousin in Nigeria, then do it! Totally legit...
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1089 posts
63 upvotes
YUL
The shipping is too expensive for this to be legit. However, I frequently travel and have had many RFDers mail merch to my home. A few insisted on dropping it off in person, which I gladly accept (cheaper for me, but I always pay by paypal regardless. Take these on a case by case basis.
FOR SALE:
Always looking to sell USD for CDN at XE.com's rates.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26806 posts
6038 upvotes
Hamilton
A v o i d!
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM