• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 4:49 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
kindred_99 wrote: My point was that the people who are overpriced are the ones screaming No Lowballers in their ads.
Lowballing, like cat-calling, is a lifestyle choice rather than a negotiation/success strategy because of the expected payoff rate is quite low. unless we are talking about buying "BINB genuine Beat earphones" near Jane and Finch...

There's proper ways to broadcast your desire for the wolrd to know and cause a bidding war for your interest that's socially favorable....I've worked with many good negotiators some of you would call lowballers but I digress.

But I agree, putting your qualifier tests in the ad is useless. It'd only deter genuine interests, prolong your sale thus attracting even more lowballers. Most (not all) lowballers were lazy noobs with fragile egos, they can't bother to invest the little leasure they don't have for any due diligence that's potentially a waste of time or take your counter.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
Oh so I just had a really good one.

My gf had a laptop that she lost the charger for and it's older and overheats after 45m.

I was able to use a universal power brick to power it on (so I know it booted) and I formatted and zero'd the drive.

Listed on kijiji for $120 (because I know people will offer less, I up the price to make their offer seem good to them and good for me).

Guy offers 50, I say 60 (the minimum she wanted). He shows up @ the place I asked to meet at. Looks at it and says "The power button is broken, feel it". I say "it clicks like a button is supposed to. it's not broken". Sees the side where the power adapter was and points out theres a small piece of plastic missing. Fair enough, it was and I didn't notice as it's an old computer that I and my gf didn't care about.

I then explained that yes, it has a 1TB SSHD installed, unsure of how much ram, whatever the specs online said that I sent him is what it had.

He goes "Oh, well, can the port for the charger is also damaged, can you lower the price down to $30?".

I basically said "Look, either give me the computer back and I'm going to drive away as I have another item I'm selling and the person is waiting for me, or give me the agreed upon $60 and you can take the laptop.

They took the laptop and gave me the $60.

Next buyer (literally right after) for a totally different item was perfectly fine and was very happy with the transaction and didn't try to haggle. This laptop one was literally the first time I've ever had someone try to haggle after agreeing on a price... broken power button I just laughed"

update: so the second buyer bought a ps4 off of me, the ad SPECIFICALLY stated "Console, power cord and controller only, no other cables are included"

And of course I now get messages "Man, I need the cable for the controller". Trying to help the guy saying that almost any mini usb cable will work but nooooooooooo. It's my fault I didn't include it when I specifically stated it wasn't included... hilarious
Last edited by XtremeModder on Sep 8th, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
NEVER SHIP. 100% SCAM. SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR ITEM IF YOU SHIP.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote: Oh so I just had a really good one.

My gf had a laptop that she lost the charger for and it's older and overheats after 45m.

I was able to use a universal power brick to power it on (so I know it booted) and I formatted and zero'd the drive.

Listed on kijiji for $120 (because I know people will offer less, I up the price to make their offer seem good to them and good for me).

Guy offers 50, I say 60 (the minimum she wanted). He shows up @ the place I asked to meet at. Looks at it and says "The power button is broken, feel it". I say "it clicks like a button is supposed to. it's not broken". Sees the side where the power adapter was and points out theres a small piece of plastic missing. Fair enough, it was and I didn't notice as it's an old computer that I and my gf didn't care about.

I then explained that yes, it has a 1TB SSHD installed, unsure of how much ram, whatever the specs online said that I sent him is what it had.

He goes "Oh, well, can the port for the charger is also damaged, can you lower the price down to $30?".

I basically said "Look, either give me the computer back and I'm going to drive away as I have another item I'm selling and the person is waiting for me, or give me the agreed upon $60 and you can take the laptop.

They took the laptop and gave me the $60.

Next buyer (literally right after) for a totally different item was perfectly fine and was very happy with the transaction and didn't try to haggle. This laptop one was literally the first time I've ever had someone try to haggle after agreeing on a price... broken power button I just laughed"

update: so the second buyer bought a ps4 off of me, the ad SPECIFICALLY stated "Console, power cord and controller only, no other cables are included"

And of course I now get messages "Man, I need the cable for the controller". Trying to help the guy saying that almost any mini usb cable will work but nooooooooooo. It's my fault I didn't include it when I specifically stated it wasn't included... hilarious
Did you disclose that the laptop overheats after 45 min ?
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
RolandCouch wrote: Did you disclose that the laptop overheats after 45 min ?
Definitely. I deleted the ad by accident as I had 4 others so relisted it and he pulled the "Oh, you listed the ram in the previous ad"... No, no I didn't. You requested the specs, I sent a link to what that config came with from Samsung, and that's what you're getting.

There is no way in hell I would blatantly rip someone off. My BST feedback on here (although not kijiji) would show that I am an honest seller.

The fact that he told me the power button is broken was a joke, it was one of those ones that you push down and you feel the click. Worked perfectly fine for me before so that guy as far as I'm concerned can deal with the laptop, it was sold in 100% honest "it overhearts within 30-45 min and shuts off, if anything else is wrong then I am not aware of it"

It's my gf's laptop afterall and I am going off of what she told me was happening, in the ad I also stated if there are other issues then I am unaware and this is being sold 100% as is
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
897 posts
470 upvotes
very difficult to sell/buy on Kijiji or Facebook these days.

People selling anything worth even buying, are severely over priced and seem to think their trash is gold.
People buying anything don't read posts and are annoying.

Almost worth just scrapping items for the most part
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
Doebird wrote: very difficult to sell/buy on Kijiji or Facebook these days.

People selling anything worth even buying, are severely over priced and seem to think their trash is gold.
People buying anything don't read posts and are annoying.

Almost worth just scrapping items for the most part
I suspect this has to do with the general consumer sentiment and we are approaching a low point rather than departing from it.

If people bought less new stuff, they would have less used stuff for resale. Also, if people were afraid, they'd spend less on both new and old stuff....therefore we see the spread widening, less items to choose from...etc.

I made two sale during this back to school season, after a long period of nothingness and the spring spike. I am only one sample point but FB/KJJ would have very good idea about this sentiment, in real time.
Apr 21, 2019
210 posts
143 upvotes
I sold about 10 items on Kijiji in the past month. Prices are around 50% of what the item was worth new, in most cases, and these items are in very good, barely used condition. Those are the lucky items, I have about an equal number still listed that have had no interest.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
Pet peeve....when using the Kijiji app and someone messages me about an item and instead of writing everything in one message, they send multiple one lines messages.....making my phone beep over and over....very annoying
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2363 posts
453 upvotes
Edmonton
was selling my parents bedroom set this past week. Received a sob story about how her family is not doing so well and if i could donate it or lower my price substantially.... ended up selling it for what I asked for an hour later.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
had someone come see an item i had posted for $75 OBO this weekend, new it was $170 + tax.

Before coming he is already haggling on price saying he has to drive from Mississauga (not my problem, my exact location is posted in the ad).

I tell him $60 is my bottom line.

He keeps trying for $50 and I flatly say no.

He then drives all the way from Sauga with his family of 5 driving a $60K minivan.....and doesn't buy the item, claiming "i have seen similar ones for $30".

My reply was "then you should buy those".

My item was described accurately with actual photos, so it's not like there was a surprise with it's condition
Last edited by Swerny on Nov 12th, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5882 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
najibs wrote: Pet peeve....when using the Kijiji app and someone messages me about an item and instead of writing everything in one message, they send multiple one lines messages.....making my phone beep over and over....very annoying
Oh I can't stand that.

The problem is that when your reply through Kijiji's account/email every time you press enter it sends the message. You can't skip a line or anything. It just sends the message with return.

And some people treat them like texts instead of an email. They send 10 messages one after the other instead of writing out a few things and sending all at once.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
I had an awesome one last night... at 11pm, this one was very obvious it was the same people because it's a broken ps4 and not a very overly sought after item...

Selling a PS4 that I can't be bothered to fix (it has blue light of death), listed it for $75, willing to take $50. Fair enough right?

Had a guy message me saying he'd give me $50. I said sure we can meet here (since we both are apparently pretty close to each other already). Asks a bunch of questions and then stops replying, then I get a message from someone else offering $30.

Said pending sale, but first come first served so $50.

Other account messages me back saying "Oh, I don't have $50, I only have $35 and I don't have cash so I can EMT you",

I say No, we agreed on $50, he said no no, we agreed on $30?

Other account messages me back saying it's not worth more than $30, I reply and say go on ebay and try to get a broken PS4 for under $75, not going to happen".

Anyways, the 2 accounts about a minute apart each start flooding my inbox. So I blocked his 2 accounts, viewed his ads and used a new random account I just made to msg him about his macbook 2012 he was selling.

He wanted $320 I said I'll give $350 if he can meet now (almost midnight I think it was). He was like YES LETS MEET TOMORROW, he said no, I said well I can only take it now (which kind of was true). He says fine, went to the meeting spot he originally wanted for the PS4. He asked where I was and I just stopped replying altogether.

Jerk thing to do yes but that's what happens when you mess with people that know alot better than that guy.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Sep 11th, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
trick91 wrote: was selling my parents bedroom set this past week. Received a sob story about how her family is not doing so well and if i could donate it or lower my price substantially.... ended up selling it for what I asked for an hour later.
Just say you would love to make the donation and to meet you @ x location and don't show up. I'm gonna start doing this on Kijiji, maybe eventually these people will learn.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
2117 posts
1929 upvotes
Ontario
XtremeModder wrote: Just say you would love to make the donation and to meet you @ x location and don't show up. I'm gonna start doing this on Kijiji, maybe eventually these people will learn.
Sorry XtremeModder but I think seeking revenge is a low life thing to do.
Puts you on the same level as the person trying to screw you. It may fell good at the time but lowers the quality of your character in the end

Better to let karma take care of it.
Kijiji brings out the worst but sometimes the best in people.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
XtremeModder wrote: Just say you would love to make the donation and to meet you @ x location and don't show up. I'm gonna start doing this on Kijiji, maybe eventually these people will learn.
I just say sorry Im not lowering it. I dont have time for revenge on strangers, life moves on
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12875 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
whats with people putting OBO in the price and when i say a price they go sorry price is firm
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Aznkid2000 wrote: whats with people putting OBO in the price and when i say a price they go sorry price is firm
Yeah, that's a tough shake for sure. Also, agree on a price and shows up with like $10-20 less thinking I'll bite. I walk to my car and leave without question/answering.

My few last sales went through all well tho. Lots of construction material, people knew they were getting a great deal and it wasn't like there was a lot of it left.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I sold a $20 multimeter and the guy drove to meet me during my errands, was at HomeDepot but the guy mistakenly waited for me at RenoDepot next door, was quite funny when I couldn't find him and he starts describing someone that looks just like me and I was like wtf.
Jan 6, 2004
726 posts
167 upvotes
Vancouver
I had listed a laptop for sale on facebook for $1900, one guy messages me and offered $1100, I politely declined his generous offer and while checking his profile FB shows you that person's listing. The guy who lowballed me had listed a few different items and in his postings he had bolded "BE REASONABLE WITH OFFER". lol?