Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
1164 posts
1046 upvotes
Vancouver
vivibaby wrote: Found this

https://www.facebook.com/help/915385548593204

So basically seller can lowball you all they want and don't show on profile if you rate them back. If you respond and have conversation then same buyer can rate you. So best thing to do is not respond because peope who lowball is also people who rate low if they don't get what they want.

Another **** up system.
For what it's worth, I rate nearly every interaction on Fb and have sold around 10 items in the past year, all with multiple chats, and I still have zero ratings on my profile (I even send a "request rating" afterwards to everyone who buys from me). Most people in my area don't seem to care for rating lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5877 posts
1370 upvotes
GTA
Does the FBM rating mechanism get triggered by buyer or seller, or it's independent?
Jan 3, 2017
346 posts
230 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: Why can't you report it to FB Marketplace with the images which were taken from your Kijiji ad? Obviously, if it is the exact same sample of images, it would point to fraud.

https://www.facebook.com/help/community ... 0657255762
Fraud from what? It's not like there is copyright protection on a pic of someone's' item. I sold a used copy of a Nintendo switch game a while back and while I was trying to figure out a price I took a pic from someone's ad and used it in mine. I sold mine a few days later. It was easier to just copy and paste then pull out my phone or Ipad and snap a pic
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13483 posts
7610 upvotes
Toronto
Some of my favorites on FB marketplace and Kijiji

1. People too lazy to post a size. Skates, shoes, bikes

I messaged a guy a few weeks ago saying something like “posting the size would help”, he replied saying it was a selling strategy.

:facepalm:

2. Scalpers: ticket prices, COVID pricing for weights and gym equipment, this one might take the cake though

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 367229967/

These are $29.99 at Costco, they are actually on sale for $23.99. They’re in stock everywhere and ski hills are even closed (not that you only use them for skiing but still). How much "demand" is there for these.

Dude wants $60, no offers

Lol

Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2923 posts
3044 upvotes
GTA
Swerny wrote: Some of my favorites on FB marketplace and Kijiji

1. People too lazy to post a size. Skates, shoes, bikes

I messaged a guy a few weeks ago saying something like “posting the size would help”, he replied saying it was a selling strategy.

Huh?
Anyone care to explain to me how that's a strategy? The only thing I can think of is eyeballs on the ad, but since they're presumably not a retailer... ?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2956 posts
2881 upvotes
GTA
BernardRyder wrote: Huh?
Anyone care to explain to me how that's a strategy? The only thing I can think of is eyeballs on the ad, but since they're presumably not a retailer... ?
It's not a good strategy, it's very bad. Sure he'll get more replies to the ad, but only to ask what the size is and then nothing. He's going to get so many more useless replies than he would have if he put the size in the ad.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12295 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
one thing i don't get regards to scammers on kijiji is - when i purchase things on Kijiji that requires to be shipped, I always use paypal's goods & service and let the seller know that is my payment method.

They agree to it and than don't ship the item. I am covered by paypal, do the scammers end up with the money? The only way I think it makes sense is that scammer withdraws the money already and paypal is covering it on there end?
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Feb 4, 2011
516 posts
298 upvotes
fryguy1987 wrote: Fraud from what? It's not like there is copyright protection on a pic of someone's' item.
Actually there is.

The person who took the photo owns copyright of that photo.

Technically you need to get permission from the photographer before using it for your purpose.
Jan 3, 2017
346 posts
230 upvotes
dealz4all wrote: Actually there is.

The person who took the photo owns copyright of that photo.

Technically you need to get permission from the photographer before using it for your purpose.
You are incorrect.
The way in which the photograph was taken does not automatically give it copyright laws.

This is the definition of copyright: A picture of an item listed for sale does not meet that criteria.

Copyright is the exclusive legal right to produce, reproduce, publish or perform an original literary, artistic, dramatic or musical work.
The purpose of a copyright is to protect owners of creative works such as music, poetry, literature and art while inspiring creativity and continuous production of such works regardless of their commercial value.

A pic of an item listed for sale on Kiji does not meet that criteria in the way it was described

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 2 guests)

muscleflex, fryguy1987, Feegus