• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2020 7:06 pm
Tags:
Jul 18, 2019
179 posts
474 upvotes
North York ON
Told a reseller off after a 2-hour cross examination

Unfortunately, I deleted the correspondence from the two new accounts he tried to contact me under different names. But this gentleman is a gem and ran my patience out. I finally told him to find someone else's lens to buy.

He called and texted me multiple times over the next day but I had already blocked him. Yesterday, he opens a new account but as you can read in the texts, he has a very distinctive way of talking. I saw his listings and connected the dots. He posts my pictures in his listing for my asking price +$50. I call him out and he keeps haggling. He complains that if I sold at x price, he couldn't make a profit.

Today, he contacts me yet again but leaves a different cell number. I reverse lookup, and bam, this genius' real name comes up.
Last edited by Keith1411 on Jul 4th, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13562 posts
3656 upvotes
GTA
Kijiji is getting worse lately. Had a buyer email for a small ticket item. Say they really need it today. I give a range and they choose a time to meet at my chosen location. I arrive two minutes early and send a message that I am there. They respond and say "Hey sorry, can I come in 20 minutes?". Do these people not realize the polite thing to do would be to tell you before the meeting time that they are going to be late?
Jul 18, 2019
179 posts
474 upvotes
North York ON
M1K3Z0R wrote: Yeah. I guess I've been lucky with all my kijiji dealings so far, limited sample size and they fit the pattern.
Your bias is valid.

Haggling is a lot more commonplace, blunt and aggressive in Asia. I grew up in China and people rarely paid asking price. Sellers also inflated the asking if they sensed that you aren't local. People aren't trying to be rude. It's just the way commerce is done back home and they may or may not know how rude they come across to a Canadian born and raised person.

From my experience, the most easygoing buyers are native English speakers and the most aggressively haggled ones are immigrants from South Asia.

The weird thing is I fully expected immigrant Chinese buyers to be just as unforgiving here but they have given me zero issues.
Oct 26, 2016
313 posts
114 upvotes
Keith1411 wrote: Told a reseller off after a 2-hour cross examination

Unfortunately, I deleted the correspondence from the two new accounts he tried to contact me under different names. But this gentleman is a gem and ran my patience out. I finally told him to find someone else's lens to buy.

He called and texted me multiple times over the next day but I had already blocked him. Yesterday, he opens a new account but as you can read in the texts, he has a very distinctive way of talking. I saw his listings and connected the dots. He posts my pictures in his listing for my asking price +$50. I call him out and he keeps haggling. He complains that if I sold at x price, he couldn't make a profit.

Today, he contacts me yet again but leaves a different cell number. I reverse lookup, and bam, this genius' real name comes up.
Cant' read the pictures, resolution is too low... can you re-upload?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5861 posts
1369 upvotes
GTA
Keith1411 wrote: Your bias is valid.

Haggling is a lot more commonplace, blunt and aggressive in Asia. I grew up in China and people rarely paid asking price. Sellers also inflated the asking if they sensed that you aren't local. People aren't trying to be rude. It's just the way commerce is done back home and they may or may not know how rude they come across to a Canadian born and raised person.

From my experience, the most easygoing buyers are native English speakers and the most aggressively haggled ones are immigrants from South Asia.

The weird thing is I fully expected immigrant Chinese buyers to be just as unforgiving here but they have given me zero issues.
From Facebook, you can see people's profile and background info but I wouldn't go on to say such bias is valid based on mastery of language. Probably more to do with credit score, income, exclusive access to private car, or mobile data plan.

First, most immigrants are adults who mastered in some languages. What kind of the first language that rewards deception as a virtue? I have a lot of "hold requests" for seasonal items mainly from native speakers. Some of those items are from last spring and still sitting in the storage bin. For English proficiency to have any explanatory power, it needs to overcome many other factors at play. Also, it needs to demonstrate the lack of it also explains the lack of credibility.

As you stated, there's some culture influence on negotiation styles that may be incompatible and people will never disclose their own type upfront. From my experience, there are very few Chinese shopkeeper style hard bargainers which I considered educated negotiators. The overwhelming majority has converted to single lowest bidder broadcasting spammers but there are those who are deceptive i.e. demand hold, never showed up, show up late, and reneged on price yet again. So if you trust someone who is consistently deceiving, you would just keep losing until you go bankrupt. And there's no cost for people to deceive online so the payoff will always be positive.
Jul 18, 2019
179 posts
474 upvotes
North York ON
I'm exclusively speaking about the aggressive haggling coming off as rude lowballing.

I'm in no way suggesting that non native speakers are any different in being reliable or respectful compared to immigrants.

But I concede that the topic is broader, and I neglected to consider that.
Jul 18, 2019
179 posts
474 upvotes
North York ON
And you make a good point about the socioeconomics at play.

Honestly this is a topic too complex for me to discuss without reading more.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10720 posts
1867 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote: I had several buyers telling me they searched a product on the desktop then saw my ad on their mobile and see my location in close proximity...
The app is going by location, their desktop could be set to a different location.

I've actually done this by accident on desktop VS mobile.

For me I used a postal code from about 15 minutes driving from me and meet people in the area of that postal code as I just prefer to meet people there anyways.

No one is going to steal personal info from you.

Don't use your phone number, full name, etc and you'll be fine.

Had a guy yesterday offer to buy an item I have for $10 less than my asking price (which I was expecting to get) and agreed. He said he'd come today, msged him last night to confirm, no answer, msged today, no answer.

So when I get the review thing it'll be 1 star. That'll be 3 one star feedback ive left this week lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5861 posts
1369 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote: The app is going by location, their desktop could be set to a different location.

I've actually done this by accident on desktop VS mobile.

For me I used a postal code from about 15 minutes driving from me and meet people in the area of that postal code as I just prefer to meet people there anyways.

No one is going to steal personal info from you.

Don't use your phone number, full name, etc and you'll be fine.

Had a guy yesterday offer to buy an item I have for $10 less than my asking price (which I was expecting to get) and agreed. He said he'd come today, msged him last night to confirm, no answer, msged today, no answer.

So when I get the review thing it'll be 1 star. That'll be 3 one star feedback ive left this week lol.
What's your set up for sms/voice phone? TextMeUp rules are extremely annoying and Anveo doesn't natively support SMS.

I used my real number before and have been getting robot calls since. Now it gets weird, I see spam calls on my home phone from my mobile.
1. Someone scraped my mobile off KJJ but they wouldn't know an association to another number exists
2. Someone close to me had their phones hacked, or contact was accessed by some malicious apps on my phone
3. Some iOS exploits hackers used to gain access to my un-jailbroken iPhone and the association extracted
4. Someone pretended to be buyers picking up, got my address and mobile number, and did some fancy look up to back out my home phone. Social engineering like this can appear as no-shows as you described.

Was the review for KJJ? Did you receive 1-star in revenge? I've inflated all of my feedback (FBM) to others but received few reviews in return. Though all of the reviews on me were positive. This means I have been too easy on these guysSmiling Face With Open Mouth. I just don't know how reviews have helped with my turnover for selling or better pricing for buying.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5330 posts
1985 upvotes
Debtario
A cautionary tale of selling from your residence. I usually meet at public parking lots and never give out my phone, but broke my own rule this time because the items were too heavy and too bulky.

I was selling a pair of Samsung pedestals for $350... they go for 200-300 new + tax. One BNIB other taken out of box to try. Had these sitting in the basement for 10 years, I was hoping I'd use them on another brand but didn't pan out.

One buyer (kijiji handle: suzanne) contacts me and lowballs to $300 because she needs them in white, so I ignored. Another buyer (B. Page) says ok when can we come get them. I agree to $350 firm, and we agree to meet. He and his wife come and pay, doesn't check them out. Asks if everything is there, I say yes, as far as I know. His wife says they have a white pair and won't match... I clued in at that point that BOTH MESSAGES WERE FROM THE SAME FOLKS!

Calls me (S Page on Caller ID... Suzanne from the first lowball message!), texts me, and while I'm answering texts he shows up at my door complaining that hardware is missing and one is scratched. Tells me it costs $30+ shipping for the missing parts. It's a set of 4 leg guides, little plastic spacers, like $4 a pop, cheaper off ebay. I really wanted to tell him to pound sand, but he seemed a nice gentleman, so held my tounge.

I tell him hey, you got a good deal priced accordingly, I'm not a retail store, call Samsung. Gives me a lecture about how I didn't disclose and I was untruthful, and that he wouldn't have bought them in the first place if hew knew stuff was missing, etc. I restated my point, this is Kijiji, AS IS, your responsibility to check before you take it. He went into my ad details that the title said BNIB when one looked used (I wrote that one was taken out of the box to try, one was BNIB) and then how I didn't disclose it was AS-IS. Fair enough, it's implied AS-IS but I did not write that explicitly. I'll add that blurb to all future ads going forward.

He asks If I want to leave it at that. I ask him what I can do, so he asks for $25 back. I gave him one of his $20s back because I don't have change and he left. Hopefully that's the end of that. Saved all the conversations and blocked them both. This guy's profile says he's been on kijiji 8 years, he should know better.

TLDR; 2 profiles same people, wanted to lowball for $300, but agreed to $350. Didn't examine merchandise, comes back complaining. Got it for $330 in the end, always meet in parking lot.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5861 posts
1369 upvotes
GTA
M1K3Z0R wrote: Calls me (S Page on Caller ID... Suzanne from the first lowball message!), texts me, and while I'm answering texts he shows up at my door complaining that hardware is missing and one is scratched. Tells me it costs $30+ shipping for the missing parts. It's a set of 4 leg guides, little plastic spacers, like $4 a pop, cheaper off ebay. I really wanted to tell him to pound sand, but he seemed a nice gentleman, so held my tounge.
I would have done the same, giving him the $20. And if I may guess, were they considered "native English speakers"?

But the hardballer of me I would politely tell him this is considered electronic harassment and would not negotiate under such conditions. To reach a satisfactory outcome, he must leave immediately and only waited to be contacted another day. And if he insisted to stay, he will walk off with nothing and a visit from the local division. Of course, once he is calmed in his own home, you have enough time and space to figure out whatever his intentions were.

People's choice of negotiation style reflects their personal circumstances. And now is the time of cooperation, not more competition.
Dec 26, 2008
493 posts
199 upvotes
Today I talked to a guy on Kijiji and one thing lead to another and I found out he was an old college friend of mine. He asked me how’s life and I exaggerated a bit, wanting to change the subject while he went on and on about how he makes 100 dollars per hour. That’s more than double what I make.

So eventually we talked Turkey. I told him about my ad for my items. Price was listed at 400. He said price was a little high.. how about 300? After mentioning he makes 100 an hour he’s lowballing me? Then eventually he goes up to 350. For 50 dollars he has to haggle. I usually cave but I’m sticking to my guns on principle.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1488 posts
1595 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: A cautionary tale of selling from your residence. I usually meet at public parking lots and never give out my phone, but broke my own rule this time because the items were too heavy and too bulky.

I was selling a pair of Samsung pedestals for $350... they go for 200-300 new + tax. One BNIB other taken out of box to try. Had these sitting in the basement for 10 years, I was hoping I'd use them on another brand but didn't pan out.

One buyer (kijiji handle: suzanne) contacts me and lowballs to $300 because she needs them in white, so I ignored. Another buyer (B. Page) says ok when can we come get them. I agree to $350 firm, and we agree to meet. He and his wife come and pay, doesn't check them out. Asks if everything is there, I say yes, as far as I know. His wife says they have a white pair and won't match... I clued in at that point that BOTH MESSAGES WERE FROM THE SAME FOLKS!

Calls me (S Page on Caller ID... Suzanne from the first lowball message!), texts me, and while I'm answering texts he shows up at my door complaining that hardware is missing and one is scratched. Tells me it costs $30+ shipping for the missing parts. It's a set of 4 leg guides, little plastic spacers, like $4 a pop, cheaper off ebay. I really wanted to tell him to pound sand, but he seemed a nice gentleman, so held my tounge.

I tell him hey, you got a good deal priced accordingly, I'm not a retail store, call Samsung. Gives me a lecture about how I didn't disclose and I was untruthful, and that he wouldn't have bought them in the first place if hew knew stuff was missing, etc. I restated my point, this is Kijiji, AS IS, your responsibility to check before you take it. He went into my ad details that the title said BNIB when one looked used (I wrote that one was taken out of the box to try, one was BNIB) and then how I didn't disclose it was AS-IS. Fair enough, it's implied AS-IS but I did not write that explicitly. I'll add that blurb to all future ads going forward.

He asks If I want to leave it at that. I ask him what I can do, so he asks for $25 back. I gave him one of his $20s back because I don't have change and he left. Hopefully that's the end of that. Saved all the conversations and blocked them both. This guy's profile says he's been on kijiji 8 years, he should know better.

TLDR; 2 profiles same people, wanted to lowball for $300, but agreed to $350. Didn't examine merchandise, comes back complaining. Got it for $330 in the end, always meet in parking lot.
This reminds me of my computer mouse story. I sold a guy a keyboard and mouse. He checked the keyboard but not the mouse contacts me the next day that there was no mouse... I'm like erm it was brand new sealed pretty sure there was a mouse in there. At first I was going to refund him but then I'm like nah. I'll take the box back to best buy and see if they will give me another if they do I will give you the mouse. The guy gets super aggressive saying how he will call the police etc. I don't really care cops won't do anything. Check the item before you buy it. Anyways I went back to best buy they gave me another mouse I tried calling him didn't answer my call. O wells.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18391 posts
6408 upvotes
Toronto
Too many illiterate idiots who don't know how to read when the body of the ad says the pick up location and then they say too far.
Images
  • Untitled.jpg
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13562 posts
3656 upvotes
GTA
carmaster wrote: Too many illiterate idiots who don't know how to read when the body of the ad says the pick up location and then they say too far.
Reminds me of one the other day... message for $30 item
...is it available? Yes...will you deliver to Niagara falls? No

They're answer "that's gonna be a no then"

Some people really think you'll drive 1 hr each way to sell something for $30.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)