Kijiji Scammers and General Idiots

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2020 11:58 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2018 posts
593 upvotes
Shoppersbeermart wrote: Today I talked to a guy on Kijiji and one thing lead to another and I found out he was an old college friend of mine. He asked me how’s life and I exaggerated a bit, wanting to change the subject while he went on and on about how he makes 100 dollars per hour. That’s more than double what I make.

So eventually we talked Turkey. I told him about my ad for my items. Price was listed at 400. He said price was a little high.. how about 300? After mentioning he makes 100 an hour he’s lowballing me? Then eventually he goes up to 350. For 50 dollars he has to haggle. I usually cave but I’m sticking to my guns on principle.
That's a weird mentality you have. Just because he earns more money than you, you think he should pay more than another buyer...? Talk about entitlement. :rolleyes:

Also, most of us in that income bracket had to negotiate to get where we are.

Finally, 25% off is hardly low-balling. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2619 posts
1303 upvotes
B.C.
SKill7 wrote: Been selling things on KJ/CL for probably 15 years. Never any issues. Then yesterday, a potential female buyer asked me on KJ where I'm from and if I'm Chinese. I was confused as I was only trying to sell my Ikea table lol. My photos had no indication of my race.

Also, saw some dude trying to sell his Ikea Jarvjallet for $400 yesterday... Its $309 before tax, but factored in taxes, his use of gas to pick it up and the time he spent to build it lmfao.
That sounds like something that would happen in no-ikea island (Vancouver Island).

Someone is selling those $2 Ikea plastic bag holders for $7 each. The description mentions "What are you going to do? Take the ferry over to get one?" (Which would be $34 round trip + transit on one or both sides).

Stuff that people can't give away elsewhere sells for nearly full retail here. Expedit/Kallax cubes sell for full retail if they're used and over retail if they're new.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2018 posts
593 upvotes
Shoppersbeermart wrote: Yeah that’s the game people will not buy unless they make an offer and bargain you down somewhat to make it think like they “won” the transaction. Even though they already won because they are buying stuff usually for a bargain to begin with.
If there's multiple listings, I'll always email everybody with an offer of 10%-20% off compared the the lowest ad's price. More often that not somebody will counter with an offer that's lower than any listing, so I get to save myself a few bucks for very little work.

It's not about "beating" you, it's about "winning" the privilege to keep more of my money for another day.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2140 posts
742 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
Funny I found this thread after having an experience yesterday selling a phone.

Guy decides to drive an hour to meet me, I didn't even ask or tell him to he just did it out his own fruition. Met him in person and he's lowballing me under my asking price by a lot. I stuck my ground, and he kept saying it's ok it's ok. What the heck do you mean it's ok, I'm the seller, I tell you what's ok and what's not so stop the bullshit. I mentioned I have multiple buyers on standby, which I did, and walked away. He calls me back and said fine... even when he's about to give me the money he tries to give a little less than what was listed. I just looked at him and said, are you **** kidding me? I turned around and he finally coughed up the full price.

I hate selling shit online. Next time I'm just going to donate it and get a tax receipt or something.
Sep 3, 2019
529 posts
336 upvotes
GTA
lennyandcarl wrote: That sounds like something that would happen in no-ikea island (Vancouver Island).

Someone is selling those $2 Ikea plastic bag holders for $7 each. The description mentions "What are you going to do? Take the ferry over to get one?" (Which would be $34 round trip + transit on one or both sides).

Stuff that people can't give away elsewhere sells for nearly full retail here. Expedit/Kallax cubes sell for full retail if they're used and over retail if they're new.
Hm, I can understand if it's a rural, remote or difficult to access location. I'd imagine they can still get buyers unless one often travels back/forth to mainland Vancouver and doesn't need to pay those rates.

Being a handyperson would save a lot and be really useful over there, I imagine.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2619 posts
1303 upvotes
B.C.
SKill7 wrote: Hm, I can understand if it's a rural, remote or difficult to access location. I'd imagine they can still get buyers unless one often travels back/forth to mainland Vancouver and doesn't need to pay those rates.

Being a handyperson would save a lot and be really useful over there, I imagine.
Ikea is really the only store that we don't have here though.
Dec 26, 2008
493 posts
199 upvotes
FreezingCanada wrote: That's a weird mentality you have. Just because he earns more money than you, you think he should pay more than another buyer...? Talk about entitlement. :rolleyes:
No I didn't actually say that. I said he should pay my full asking price. Bragging about your financial accomplishments and then asking for a deal is bad manners, not to mention a lack of common sense.
I think you need to look up the word "negotiate" in the dictionary.
Finally, 25% off is hardly low-balling.
That's just an opinion. Nowhere is the term "lowballing" defined.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2018 posts
593 upvotes
Shoppersbeermart wrote: No I didn't actually say that. I said he should pay my full asking price. Bragging about your financial accomplishments and then asking for a deal is bad manners, not to mention a lack of common sense.
Why should he pay your full asking price? I wouldn't.

Shoppersbeermart wrote: I think you need to look up the word "negotiate" in the dictionary.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... /negotiate

Shoppersbeermart wrote: That's just an opinion. Nowhere is the term "lowballing" defined.
I think you need to look up the word "lowballing" in the dictionary.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lowball
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13277 posts
7412 upvotes
Toronto
FreezingCanada wrote: That's a weird mentality you have. Just because he earns more money than you, you think he should pay more than another buyer...? Talk about entitlement. :rolleyes:

Finally, 25% off is hardly low-balling. :facepalm:
without knowing the item and/or the asking price, there's no way to know if the original price was fair.

25% off isn't lowballing? Really? If it was already priced fairly it sure is.

Have two for your troubles:

:facepalm: :facepalm:
FreezingCanada wrote: Why should he pay your full asking price? I wouldn't.
You have just admitted to offering less in every case...so yeah, you're one of "those" buyers.

:facepalm:
Feb 4, 2011
496 posts
285 upvotes
FreezingCanada wrote: Finally, 25% off is hardly low-balling. :facepalm:
Well, 25% on $40 item can be accepted but 25% on $600 item which is already fairly priced is not appreciated.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2018 posts
593 upvotes
Swerny wrote: You have just admitted to offering less in every case...so yeah, you're one of "those" buyers.
No, I don't offer less if there's only one listing, the price is fair, and/or I really want it soon.

Also, you know this is RedFlagDeals, right? Of course I'm one of those buyers looking for the best deal..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5855 posts
1369 upvotes
GTA
FreezingCanada wrote: No, I don't offer less if there's only one listing, the price is fair, and/or I really want it soon.

Also, you know this is RedFlagDeals, right? Of course I'm one of those buyers looking for the best deal..
What's your source for fair price? is lower than ask fair? also given varying convenience and item quality/age/condition...

The contradiction is that you will have sellers compete for your bid except when item is unique. This shouldn't matter, since you'd never know what others are bidding. The only scenario for "Buy it now" is it's priced below the fair value you associated with though value is subjective.

So a deal may only be a deal when it cannot be had, OOS or price surging, not when price is plumeting and sellers liquidating simultanously.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2018 posts
593 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote: What's your source for fair price? is lower than ask fair? also given varying convenience and item quality/age/condition...

The contradiction is that you will have sellers compete for your bid except when item is unique. This shouldn't matter, since you'd never know what others are bidding. The only scenario for "Buy it now" is it's priced below the fair value you associated with though value is subjective.

So a deal may only be a deal when it cannot be had, OOS or price surging, not when price is plumeting and sellers liquidating simultanously.
You're not wrong, this is just a differing of opinion on pricing strategies.

I disagree on not knowing what others are bidding; if the item has been listed for an extended period of time, it's reasonable to assume that they have been not offered their asking price yet.

Shoppersbeermart wrote: He's arguing just for the sake of arguing, leave it alone.
Eh, both a bit guilty then? :)
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2245 posts
1276 upvotes
Ottawa
JKKim2983 wrote: I hate selling shit online. Next time I'm just going to donate it and get a tax receipt or something.
I donated a used phone in excellent condition to a charity that has partners in the Third World. They gave me a tax receipt for the price a similar phone sold for on eBay.