• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 8:10 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5834 posts
1358 upvotes
GTA
FreezingCanada wrote: You're not wrong, this is just a differing of opinion on pricing strategies.

I disagree on not knowing what others are bidding; if the item has been listed for an extended period of time, it's reasonable to assume that they have been not offered their asking price yet.
Or the ask is simply too high, there's hidden flaws, or lack of interest for the item. You will never know the seller's BATNA unless you probe.

On one hand you would spam multiple sellers for below market but pay ask just because the listing is lacking competition locally at that point in time is beyond logic.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5247 posts
1938 upvotes
Debtario
Just had a buyer stop in to my imaginary courtesy desk for a price match.

Peter: "Hello ! I am interested in this BBQ. Are you open to offers on it?"

Me: "Sure, what are you thinking?"

Peter: "Thanks for the reply. Please do not consider this a "lowball" offer, I'm not that guy, but I think your BBQ may be similar to this one : (link)"

He linked to a similar looking but differently spec'd BBQ on clearance for 50% less than my asking price, zero stock anywhere in the province.

Me: "It's a free market, please feel free to buy it from Canadian Tire :) "
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13121 posts
7200 upvotes
Toronto
Price match rightfully denied.

lol
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14714 posts
2709 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Kijiji's rating system is so flawed. A guy does not show up and rates me instead as 1/5.. LOL
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20653 posts
4758 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I was looking for a 3DS system and a particular PS4 controller. I asked the seller of the 3DS if anything is wrong with it. He said, no it's in perfect working condition. I then asked if is modded or banned from Nintendo. He never replied.

As for the controller, I asked which version he is selling. He say, what do you mean. I say, look under the box next to the UPC and tell me what letters and numbers do you see. He never replied.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2118 posts
721 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
M1K3Z0R wrote: Just had a buyer stop in to my imaginary courtesy desk for a price match.

Peter: "Hello ! I am interested in this BBQ. Are you open to offers on it?"

Me: "Sure, what are you thinking?"

Peter: "Thanks for the reply. Please do not consider this a "lowball" offer, I'm not that guy, but I think your BBQ may be similar to this one : (link)"

He linked to a similar looking but differently spec'd BBQ on clearance for 50% less than my asking price, zero stock anywhere in the province.

Me: "It's a free market, please feel free to buy it from Canadian Tire :) "
lol

Well then, maybe you should have a hiring spree. A lot of people lost their jobs this year, surely someone will be your courtesy desk rep for these private sales. ;)

What are some of these people thinking? lol
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2401 posts
727 upvotes
Calgary
I had a guy messaged me all day that he wanted my item and we picked a public place to meet and agree on the time, I message him that I am already here and he messages me that he is running late and never shows...wtf. I see I can't rate him on kijiji.
Dec 26, 2008
483 posts
197 upvotes
Grinding my gears at the moment are people that list items and then say at the end of the ad, “it’s broken” or “it’s missing parts”. On cheap items, there’s a place for this stuff and it’s called the garbage.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3995 posts
253 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I agree rating system is flawed.Had some one kept on lowballing me for a item that was cheaper that all the other ads.He posted a feedback saying I was late,unfair,etc..We didnt even meet.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6159 posts
2075 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: I agree rating system is flawed.Had some one kept on lowballing me for a item that was cheaper that all the other ads.He posted a feedback saying I was late,unfair,etc..We didnt even meet.
Ask them to leave their number. That will prevent lowballers and people who are not serious. Don't even bother responding.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2468 posts
2641 upvotes
GTA
I posted an item I found in my basement FOR FREE. I put the usual first come first served disclaimer, since I'm not holding junk I can easily toss for some non-commital bozo.
Several replies but mostly "can you hold for me" types. I'm very polite and usually answer ad says first come, plus the item is still here, I will leave it on my porch for you and even message you if someone else picks up before you get it... I have a 5-star rating and I see no reason to be rude.
After a week of it being listed, someone finally picks it up a few weeks ago, no problem. Yesterday I get a message of a rating left for me. It was 1 star from one of the many asshats I bent over backwards for with politeness that never bothered to show up. He rayed me as "Unfriendly". Of course the window to spite-rate him back has closed, and now Kijiji changed their rating policy.

It's all good. He happens to have an apartment for rent listed, and his cell number in the ad. Hope he likes telemarketers.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5697 posts
1506 upvotes
Mississauga
FreezingCanada wrote: That's a weird mentality you have. Just because he earns more money than you, you think he should pay more than another buyer...? Talk about entitlement. :rolleyes:

Also, most of us in that income bracket had to negotiate to get where we are.

Finally, 25% off is hardly low-balling. :facepalm:
totally agree... so if his friend made minimum wage, then the $300 is justified...lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8221 posts
1928 upvotes
Mississauga
They need the ability to block people by location. I've been putting up a lot of items after cleaning during the pandemic, mostly free, but paid as well. To avoid contact I've been doing porch pickup for most items. I keep having issues with people from Brampton where they state they're interested and ask for the address, then never show up, or literally come days later upset the item is gone. I've been doing a few transactions a day and short of lowballing the already cheap items had no issues. I've NEVER had a transaction work out if someone is from there.

When people do dumb stuff I check their listings. If they have a number I call to see what's up and they immediately hang up. Had one yesterday where he was talking fine and then switched to " no speak English" once I told him why I was calling.

Not sure why people even waste their own time, especially on low value and free items.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2468 posts
2641 upvotes
GTA
Avenger wrote: They need the ability to block people by location. I've been putting up a lot of items after cleaning during the pandemic, mostly free, but paid as well. To avoid contact I've been doing porch pickup for most items. I keep having issues with people from Brampton where they state they're interested and ask for the address, then never show up, or literally come days later upset the item is gone. I've been doing a few transactions a day and short of lowballing the already cheap items had no issues. I've NEVER had a transaction work out if someone is from there.

When people do dumb stuff I check their listings. If they have a number I call to see what's up and they immediately hang up. Had one yesterday where he was talking fine and then switched to " no speak English" once I told him why I was calling.

Not sure why people even waste their own time, especially on low value and free items.
Lol My 1-star guy is from Brampton.
Personally I've had as many weirdos in my area, so I can't blame Brampton specifically. Also Brampton is in Peel region which includes Mississauga, so blocking the region is a pretty large area and a lot of people.
I will say that years ago when selling a used Honda Accord on Kijiji, most of the worst responses were from Brampton. My favorite was a lowballer (offering 25% less right at the start) who then proceeded to nitpick the car in great detail. Is it from Quebec? How old are the tires? How is the paint? How is how is how is. I finally told him come see the car, THEN negotiate after you see it. He never did.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8221 posts
1928 upvotes
Mississauga
BernardRyder wrote: Lol My 1-star guy is from Brampton.
Personally I've had as many weirdos in my area, so I can't blame Brampton specifically. Also Brampton is in Peel region which includes Mississauga, so blocking the region is a pretty large area and a lot of people.
I will say that years ago when selling a used Honda Accord on Kijiji, most of the worst responses were from Brampton. My favorite was a lowballer (offering 25% less right at the start) who then proceeded to nitpick the car in great detail. Is it from Quebec? How old are the tires? How is the paint? How is how is how is. I finally told him come see the car, THEN negotiate after you see it. He never did.
It isn't the same ethnicity from Brampton either, to be clear, before people get up in arms. It's literally just everyone who resides there that I've had silly issues with. Not sure what's up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

rvd