Shopping Discussion

Kijiji Scammers and General Idiots

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 6:42 pm
Tags:
Sr. Member
Nov 24, 2015
965 posts
676 upvotes
Durham Region
BernardRyder wrote: I posted an item I found in my basement FOR FREE. I put the usual first come first served disclaimer, since I'm not holding junk I can easily toss for some non-commital bozo.
Several replies but mostly "can you hold for me" types. I'm very polite and usually answer ad says first come, plus the item is still here, I will leave it on my porch for you and even message you if someone else picks up before you get it... I have a 5-star rating and I see no reason to be rude.
After a week of it being listed, someone finally picks it up a few weeks ago, no problem. Yesterday I get a message of a rating left for me. It was 1 star from one of the many asshats I bent over backwards for with politeness that never bothered to show up. He rayed me as "Unfriendly". Of course the window to spite-rate him back has closed, and now Kijiji changed their rating policy.
What do you expect? “First come first served” and then you message a bunch of people to get it? That’s going to leave a bunch of people disappointed right?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2404 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
networksend wrote: What do you expect? “First come first served” and then you message a bunch of people to get it? That’s going to leave a bunch of people disappointed right?
What do I expect? I dunno, to get rid of the thing that is junk to me without throwing it into landfill? For people to read the terms and have a modicum of understanding that it is Free and No Guarantees? For semi-normal adults who don't react as if they live in a world where their self-centred egos are the only thing that matters?
Hopefully you're being ironic and not actually defending people who lash out despite the item being free. I see people at retailers act like privileged trash, and one can argue They're Paying Customers, but does that attitude carry over into a free item at a non-retail location?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
17099 posts
2150 upvotes
Out west
networksend wrote: What do you expect? “First come first served” and then you message a bunch of people to get it? That’s going to leave a bunch of people disappointed right?
Oh no, not disappointed. OMG, the horror. The privileged people didnt get what they wanted

Who cares, thats why its first come first served, and its free as well. Ive missed out on free items before, taken as I was driving there, oh well, life moves on.
Sr. Member
Nov 24, 2015
965 posts
676 upvotes
Durham Region
BernardRyder wrote: What do I expect? I dunno, to get rid of the thing that is junk to me without throwing it into landfill? For people to read the terms and have a modicum of understanding that it is Free and No Guarantees? For semi-normal adults who don't react as if they live in a world where their self-centred egos are the only thing that matters?
Hopefully you're being ironic and not actually defending people who lash out despite the item being free. I see people at retailers act like privileged trash, and one can argue They're Paying Customers, but does that attitude carry over into a free item at a non-retail location?
I’m not defending the kijiji parasites. I guess when I message someone that I’m coming to get an item I actually show up and on time (whether it’s free or not)

But it’s your ad and your terms, I just wouldn’t make a far drive for an off chance that something is available

I would just message people saying “guy x said he will be here to pick up today, if he doesn’t show, you are next in line, I will let you know tonight” instead of saying “come and get it, first one here is the winner”

But again your ad, your rules, just can’t expect too much from the kijiji trash
Sr. Member
Nov 24, 2015
965 posts
676 upvotes
Durham Region
WikkiWikki wrote: Oh no, not disappointed. OMG, the horror. The privileged people didnt get what they wanted

Who cares, thats why its first come first served, and its free as well. Ive missed out on free items before, taken as I was driving there, oh well, life moves on.
I would just save myself the headache and not post it that way, knowing how people are. That’s all.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2404 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
networksend wrote: I’m not defending the kijiji parasites. I guess when I message someone that I’m coming to get an item I actually show up and on time (whether it’s free or not)

But it’s your ad and your terms, I just wouldn’t make a far drive for an off chance that something is available

I would just message people saying “guy x said he will be here to pick up today, if he doesn’t show, you are next in line, I will let you know tonight” instead of saying “come and get it, first one here is the winner”

But again your ad, your rules, just can’t expect too much from the kijiji trash
Sure if I had messaged that way, like a free for all race, it could annoy some. But as I explained clearly a bunch of people wanted it held, defeating the purpose of first come. If I hold it for the first and they don't show, that could annoy the second person and so on, leading to more hurt feelings. The item didn't move for almost a week, so these hold people had days to get it and never showed. If they are committed to a free item and not self-centred jerks who want freebies held at their convenience, I'd imagine they would come a lot sooner. Or at least accept that it got away and move on.
Sorry, but it's not about my ad or my (very typical) terms. People just need to be less self-centred.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1456 posts
1205 upvotes
Winnipeg
networksend wrote: I would just message people saying “guy x said he will be here to pick up today, if he doesn’t show, you are next in line, I will let you know tonight” instead of saying “come and get it, first one here is the winner”
I would never invest (nor expect anyone else to invest) that amount of time and energy managing the pickup of a free item. The only thing I'd expect is the seller to take down the ad once the item is gone.
Sr. Member
Nov 24, 2015
965 posts
676 upvotes
Durham Region
BernardRyder wrote: Sure if I had messaged that way, like a free for all race, it could annoy some. But as I explained clearly a bunch of people wanted it held, defeating the purpose of first come. If I hold it for the first and they don't show, that could annoy the second person and so on, leading to more hurt feelings. The item didn't move for almost a week, so these hold people had days to get it and never showed. If they are committed to a free item and not self-centred jerks who want freebies held at their convenience, I'd imagine they would come a lot sooner. Or at least accept that it got away and move on.
Sorry, but it's not about my ad or my (very typical) terms. People just need to be less self-centred.
Also the only way a review option is generated is if you message back and forth 3 times, so often I just give my cell and say message me there.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2404 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
networksend wrote: Also the only way a review option is generated is if you message back and forth 3 times, so often I just give my cell and say message me there.
It was 7 messages back and forth but Kijiji changed that recently. I also do my best never to give my cell.
c'mon get happy!
Member
User avatar
Jun 4, 2018
272 posts
164 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
Was lookng for a low end GPU. Saw a guy with a few in one ad, description says "2gb GPU great for gaming" I messaged asking for the details and he answered with "its a great card for $55" that was it. So I messaged back saying yes it sounds like a tremendous card but I really would like to know if its AMD or Nvidia etc etc, model number?
His exact words "its a great card for the money genius".

blocked and deleted, next.
Member
Feb 4, 2011
479 posts
264 upvotes
networksend wrote: I would just save myself the headache and not post it that way, knowing how people are. That’s all.
With my experience dealing with Kijiji, I would not post anything for Free. Once it is free, it attracts a very different kind of buyers who would just waste the time. Instead i mark a low price on the item and it always worked for me.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1456 posts
1205 upvotes
Winnipeg
dealz4all wrote: With my experience dealing with Kijiji, I would not post anything for Free. Once it is free, it attracts a very different kind of buyers who would just waste the time. Instead i mark a low price on the item and it always worked for me.
Interesting strategy. I like it. Another one - name a price, advise where the item is for “viewing” and just wait for someone to steal it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6357 posts
2623 upvotes
My son has a lawnmower for sale - he cleaned the carb, replaced the spark plug and did an oil change.
The darn thing runs perfectly.

So far he's had:
  • Hold it for me I am coming right now - nobody shows
  • One idiot asked a thousand questions (it's a basic lawnmower with a Briggs and Stratton engine) - and then the guy stops responding.
  • Idiots who offer 50% of asking price (which was a reasonable $60 to begin with)
  • Idiots who ask if it has a grass catcher bag - to quote my son "Idiot don't you think I would have mentioned it and added to the photo's if it came with it?"
  • Idiots who ask him to hold it for a few days.

    The only thing he hasn't had yet is "Hi can I take it home and mow my lawn and if I like it I will offer you 50% of what you are asking for it"
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5228 posts
1923 upvotes
Debtario
BernardRyder wrote: ... and now Kijiji changed their rating policy.
What's the change? Google came up empty for me on specifics
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2404 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
M1K3Z0R wrote: What's the change? Google came up empty for me on specifics
If you sell on Kijiji, when you go to delete your ad it will ask why and then you can choose who you sold it to from all the people that messaged you. Then it will allow them to rate you and you them. You can also bypass offering the buyer the opportunity to rate if you choose, but obviously you can't rate them either.
Before it was 7 unique messages between the two parties allowed a rating. Which is how the f***face who didn't even bother to pick up the item was able to rate me. I didn't rate him at all, to me it was just another random exchange with a random person.
c'mon get happy!

Top