Shopping Discussion

Kijiji Scammers and General Idiots

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 6:42 pm
Tags:
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 19, 2007
950 posts
426 upvotes
Torontario
One more general comment: initially I thought that the whole reviews/rating to be non-value add, where increasingly in my exchanges, if I see a seller or buyer being with lower than 4 stars, try to evade.
Turns out it's a good hygienic factor in Kijiji trading
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2404 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
ohnabatko wrote: One more general comment: initially I thought that the whole reviews/rating to be non-value add, where increasingly in my exchanges, if I see a seller or buyer being with lower than 4 stars, try to evade.
Turns out it's a good hygienic factor in Kijiji trading
To an extent. I was at 3.7 with only 3 reviews; two 5-star and the 1-star asshat. So that could go either way, I could be a terrible seller with one 5-star review or a good one with a 3.7.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1092 posts
1101 upvotes
BinaryJay wrote: You kind of defeated your whole firmness argument as soon as you caved to 90%.
This,

Guy is upset because he gets low balled and states price is firm but then says he will take 90%, wtf? lol

And people wonder why buyers lowball even when ad says price is firm.

Location is irrelevant because he said 90% picked up, which would indicate he would be willing to deliver or travel somewhere to meet.

Dont know who is worse in this case, the buyer or the seller
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 19, 2007
950 posts
426 upvotes
Torontario
BernardRyder wrote: To an extent. I was at 3.7 with only 3 reviews; two 5-star and the 1-star asshat. So that could go either way, I could be a terrible seller with one 5-star review or a good one with a 3.7.
I hear you - but that's the reason this feature of Kijiji needs a long-term tracking. Similarly, I had a few trades that people do not leave feedback, which is another challenge.
it would have been nice if they had a counter on how many listing and or purchases you've done ...if they had Kijiji designed properly with tracking.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6227 posts
1899 upvotes
BC
HghSsociety wrote: .......
Dont know who is worse in this case, the buyer or the seller
I know the majority on here will agree with what you are saying, but it is useful to consider what goes through a seller's mind.

Particularly for a seasonal item, or something with a limited buyer pool.

Although the seller has firmly in mind how much he thinks he should be able to get, this could change day-to-day.
Why the change? Depends what other things he has going on in his life, among other factors.
One day, he may feel the urge to just simplify his life and move the item. Because he has other things that need attention.
Another day, he may feel more determined to achieve his target price whatever it takes . Might even vary within a day.

Same thing happens in car dealerships every day.
Just because your friend got a great deal on that particular CUV, it doesn't mean you will get exactly the same for an identical unit.
You may do better, you may do worse. Depends what's going on in the salesperson's and manager's heads at any point in time. Or in the business itself.
No different with individual sellers in the open marketplace. They are entitled to interpret 'price is firm' however they want.
The buyer has less entitlement to view 'price is firm' as irrelevant. They can make whatever offer they want, but preferably in a polite and realistic manner - which often doesn't happen.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1092 posts
1101 upvotes
macnut wrote: I know the majority on here will agree with what you are saying, but it is useful to consider what goes through a seller's mind.

Particularly for a seasonal item, or something with a limited buyer pool.

Although the seller has firmly in mind how much he thinks he should be able to get, this could change day-to-day.
Why the change? Depends what other things he has going on in his life, among other factors.
One day, he may feel the urge to just simplify his life and move the item. Because he has other things that need attention.
Another day, he may feel more determined to achieve his target price whatever it takes . Might even vary within a day.

Same thing happens in car dealerships every day.
Just because your friend got a great deal on that particular CUV, it doesn't mean you will get exactly the same for an identical unit.
You may do better, you may do worse. Depends what's going on in the salesperson's and manager's heads at any point in time. Or in the business itself.
No different with individual sellers in the open marketplace. They are entitled to interpret 'price is firm' however they want.
The buyer has less entitlement to view 'price is firm' as irrelevant. They can make whatever offer they want, but preferably in a polite and realistic manner - which often doesn't happen.
Sorry but I have to disagree with the bold part. When you state a price in the ad and the ad says price is firm, and you reply to a question with "price is firm" there is literally no other way to interpret that. You are entitled to change your mind of course but changing your mind invalidates the entire ad and his reply.

There is a reason why so many posters in this thread express frustration when they say "price is firm" and they have people try to negotiate, and it's not because there is more than 1 way to interpret "price is firm".
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
10214 posts
2753 upvotes
Newmarket
Two people messaged me today, both not realizing "I was too far away from them".

Never had that happen, TBH.
RFD Forums Moderator
Member
Jan 16, 2008
301 posts
110 upvotes
Brampton
You may have missed me as a buyer, that would have bought for 90% of your asking price have you not stated "Firmed".
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10605 posts
1803 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: If you sell on Kijiji, when you go to delete your ad it will ask why and then you can choose who you sold it to from all the people that messaged you. Then it will allow them to rate you and you them. You can also bypass offering the buyer the opportunity to rate if you choose, but obviously you can't rate them either.
Before it was 7 unique messages between the two parties allowed a rating. Which is how the f***face who didn't even bother to pick up the item was able to rate me. I didn't rate him at all, to me it was just another random exchange with a random person.
Why don't we just make ads, message each other then mark sold and rate 5 star....

Joking aside it just shows its not a reliable method of rating and there really isn't one at all really.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10605 posts
1803 upvotes
Toronto
HghSsociety wrote: Sorry but I have to disagree with the bold part. When you state a price in the ad and the ad says price is firm, and you reply to a question with "price is firm" there is literally no other way to interpret that. You are entitled to change your mind of course but changing your mind invalidates the entire ad and his reply.

There is a reason why so many posters in this thread express frustration when they say "price is firm" and they have people try to negotiate, and it's not because there is more than 1 way to interpret "price is firm".
I think it's more fun to tell the lowballers sure I can meet you right now, meet me at (x location close to them but far from me usually) and ill msg them a bit later saying I'm here and then never respond.

That is of course if I have the time.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1121 posts
664 upvotes
AB
HghSsociety wrote: Sorry but I have to disagree with the bold part. When you state a price in the ad and the ad says price is firm, and you reply to a question with "price is firm" there is literally no other way to interpret that. You are entitled to change your mind of course but changing your mind invalidates the entire ad and his reply.

There is a reason why so many posters in this thread express frustration when they say "price is firm" and they have people try to negotiate, and it's not because there is more than 1 way to interpret "price is firm".
I get your point, but in my experience the price is usually never firm. Most people will bend a little to make a sale. Not saying lowballing is good, but all the price firm says to me is this guys doesnt want to move much off this price, but he probably will... and usually they always will.

When I sell I also factor this in and post at least 10% higher than I want to actually sell for. Most people want to negotiate so why not just accept it and price that in.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2404 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
Am I the only one who sees Price Firm and thinks OK that's my highest price threshold, so let me try and negotiate on the other sellers who are above that.
I bought a Switch game recently (Kirby All-Stars something for my kid) and everyone wanted $60+. I missed out on a guy selling for $50, so I tried a seller at $60 that didn't have the words FIRM. I politely asked if he would do $50 and he said sure as long as you come get it now. Sold!
When people are reasonable, things get done.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 10, 2004
3920 posts
1267 upvotes
Edmonton
Kijiji sales have been really slow lately... and the amount of low ball offers has kept increasing. I can handle a couple, but some are just ridiculous

Almost most of my higher priced items have been shipped and e-transfer. Might as well go back to ebay if that keeps happening.

I see a few mentioning facebook, certainly seems stuff moves pretty fast from what I've been tracking.
Newbie
Nov 10, 2008
27 posts
11 upvotes
Scarborough
Swerny wrote: so many time wasters.

FB Marketplace this time

My ad clearly has the item listed, price is firm, link provided to show the retail price to compare to.

Clearly has my location posted in the app and in the description including closest intersection.

It also says "if you're reading this ad, it's available"

Buyer: "Is this available?".

Me: "yes"

Buyer: "lowest price?"

Me: "asking price is listed, price is firm".

Buyer: offers 75% of FIRM asking price.

Me: "sorry, price is firm, i will take 90% picked up".

Buyer: offers 80%.

Me: "fine, picked up, let me know when you're coming"

Buyer: "what's your location, major intersection?"

Me: "it's in the ad....location is......"

Buyer: "too far for me, I'm in Mississauga".

WTF ARE YOU WASTING MY TIME FOR ?

:facepalm:
lol, I had that same thing happen last week, I caved on the price by a little, then buyer said same thing. lol.

I give up on kijiji, facebook marketplace. I have better luck putting an AD at my local Food basics bulletin board than kijiji these days.

Top