Kijiji Scammers and General Idiots

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 7:51 pm
Tags:
Sep 27, 2003
10208 posts
2752 upvotes
Newmarket
anatman wrote: Newmarket. That would explain it. Technically in the GTA so shows up for all GTA searches, but I'm sure as hell not driving there either.
I'm often flexible. But not with those that don't read the ad.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5225 posts
1922 upvotes
Debtario
Selling a LNIB EVGA 1050Ti at the local market going rate. Ad clearly says not in a rush to sell, lowballers ignored, etc Had some no-shows and then forgot to repost the ad while it got buried on page 20+ lol

Reply from (previously ignored lowballer) Adrian: "Newegg sells it new for less https://www.newegg.ca/p/0X6-04S1-005S1 "
Me: "Cool, go buy it. That's not even the same card. It's from a chinese reseller hocking a fake flashed to look like a 1050ti. Read the reviews."
Adrian: "cool, 7 weeks later and you're not getting the hint"
Me: "Okay Bud, thanks for the tip. Really appreciated!" and blocked him
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18288 posts
2148 upvotes
Woodbridge
Surprisingly I got my first.

Selling a driver side WeatherTech floor liner for $20. My 2015 Nissan Murano SL was written off and for some reason I only got the driver side. LOL

I got an offer for $10...

I agreed and said pick it up. I get a reply, I'll pay the $20 if you deliver...

In North Bay.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2393 posts
2515 upvotes
GTA
M1K3Z0R wrote: Selling a LNIB EVGA 1050Ti at the local market going rate. Ad clearly says not in a rush to sell, lowballers ignored, etc Had some no-shows and then forgot to repost the ad while it got buried on page 20+ lol

Reply from (previously ignored lowballer) Adrian: "Newegg sells it new for less https://www.newegg.ca/p/0X6-04S1-005S1 "
Me: "Cool, go buy it. That's not even the same card. It's from a chinese reseller hocking a fake flashed to look like a 1050ti. Read the reviews."
The dreaded Week 7 messages, lol

Listing on Kijiji is free, but lowballers seems to think that at Week 7, you're probably starved out of house and home because you didn't sell that PS4 game you listed at $30. Clearly you're ripe for a $10 offer at that point.
c'mon get happy!
Dec 26, 2008
471 posts
191 upvotes
In my experience, Facebook marketplace is as bad as kijiji, maybe worse. Tons of low ballers. The only thing is people are a little friendlier with a picture and profile.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2560 posts
1733 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
This is fun...

Listed a fridge in mid/early August for $350.
Same style is still sold new for approx $1100+ tax
Fridge was used in our basement and came with our house (no idea/never cared to check how old it is but its in like new condition since we barely used it)
Buyer offers $300 & picks up fridge over a month ago
Had fridge waiting in garage offer to plug it in when buyer remarks the fridge is almost 10 years old. I tell him I have no idea how old it is and it’s either take or leave it. Bc the fridge is in great condition he decides to take it without plugging it in.

This AM I get registered mail. Buyer is demanding I give back some of his $300 bc his family can’t afford to buy new and now they need to fix this fridge $$$. He claims the fridge is always “running” and I didnt disclose this hence it will use up a lot of power. Only provides me his email address and nothing more to contact him (however the letter is typed on letterhead of a lawyer?)

SMH.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
16994 posts
2136 upvotes
Out west
BrunetteGirl wrote: This is fun...

Fridge was used in our basement and came with our house (no idea/never cared to check how old it is but its in like new condition since we barely used it)
Had fridge waiting in garage offer to plug it in when buyer remarks the fridge is almost 10 years old. I tell him I have no idea how old it is and it’s either take or leave it. Bc the fridge is in great condition he decides to take it without plugging it in.

This AM I get registered mail. Buyer is demanding I give back some of his $300 bc his family can’t afford to buy new and now they need to fix this fridge $$$. He claims the fridge is always “running” and I didnt disclose this hence it will use up a lot of power. Only provides me his email address and nothing more to contact him (however the letter is typed on letterhead of a lawyer?)

SMH.
Sounds fishy, as in he made up the letter and copied a letter head. I trust nothing I get in the mail anymore, and a true letter would have more contact info than a email. trust me, from someones thats been sued or demanding a payment in the past over bullshit, you get more than just that in the mail

Call his bluff, because if his family cant buy new, then they have to pay to take you to court as well. And they have to also prove its not working to you and the court.

I had someone try and say I sold them used tires with a hole in the sidewall. Wanted their $100 back. What they did was take off their old tires and swap with mine, because I was contacted 3 days later. They didnt know I had the same vehicle as they did when they pulled up, with the same identical factory tires. I had to get the cops involved because of the threats

Tons of people are just scumbags, money is their only motive in life
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19387 posts
6464 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Buying used stuff is caveat emptor. The onus is on the buyer to ensure that they're getting what they want before they take it, unless you expressly gave them some kind of assurance of warranty which you didn't.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17940 posts
5900 upvotes
Toronto
Never use your real phone number and meet in a public location never at your house.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
16994 posts
2136 upvotes
Out west
carmaster wrote: Never use your real phone number and meet in a public location never at your house.
For a fridge? The reason stuff like that is sold from yoru garage, is so you dont have to haul it
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2428 posts
2060 upvotes
GTA
BinaryJay wrote: Buying used stuff is caveat emptor. The onus is on the buyer to ensure that they're getting what they want before they take it, unless you expressly gave them some kind of assurance of warranty which you didn't.
That's right. No warranty on private sale. Unless they lied in the ad which I very much doubt, it's the buyers problem. The buyer waited over a month so the fridge could have been working fine until recently. If the fridge was in a garage this August in the GTA it may very well run all the time even if it works correctly.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
16994 posts
2136 upvotes
Out west
tew wrote: That's right. No warranty on private sale. Unless they lied in the ad which I very much doubt, it's the buyers problem. The buyer waited over a month so the fridge could have been working fine until recently. If the fridge was in a garage this August in the GTA it may very well run all the time even if it works correctly.
That sounds about right, and in that month, what did they do to it? Want a warranty, buy from a store
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4369 posts
2957 upvotes
Toronto and London
So during this pandemic, what are some tips when it comes to selling items?

1. Meet at police station or bank?

2. If it's a pricey item, get them to wire transfer money on the spot as long as it's not PayPal due to charge back?

I have been out of the Kijiji loop lately so any advice is appreciated.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2393 posts
2515 upvotes
GTA
BrunetteGirl wrote: This is fun...

SMH.
I wouldn't even respond. And on a lawyer's letterhead? So professional, so intimidating. Wait, was Lionel Hutz the lawyer's name by any chance?

Clearly a scam or a way to get back some of their money to make the purchase cheaper using intimidation or sympathy. They can apparently afford a lawyer AND registered mail but not a new fridge. Makes total sense...
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1120 posts
664 upvotes
AB
M1K3Z0R wrote: Selling a LNIB EVGA 1050Ti at the local market going rate. Ad clearly says not in a rush to sell, lowballers ignored, etc Had some no-shows and then forgot to repost the ad while it got buried on page 20+ lol

I get he posted a link to not the exact same card, but I do believe he was trying to help. unless your 1050ti is something real special, used its not worth more than 80-100 tops. Now I dont know what you are asking, but I assume its more since you are making fun of his suggestion. Curious, what are you selling the 1050ti for and can you help me understand your pricing strategy?

Too often I notice sellers are unrealistic and msg them just to help. Obviously nobody likes to have that pointed out, but sometimes a reality check is needed.