Shopping Discussion

Kijiji Scammers and General Idiots

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2020 5:51 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 30, 2003
7371 posts
795 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: If I was a purchaser, I'd balk at this immediately. Part of the thread's title is Kijiji Scammers, and that's what asking for etransfer money up front would sound like to me, a potential scam.
Yeah, I don't do etransfer. Cash only. The sole time I've ever done it was porch pickup for an item in the height of the first lockdown....I sent an EMT at the curb while talking to them on the porch, and waited for them to get and deposit it before I picked up item and left. For the most part I'll just have some lysol wipes to put the cash in when I receive it. And items are always first come, first served. I tell people who are making arrangements to pick up that if someone else can pick up first I'll let them know, and for people who have offered a lower price that I've accepted, that if I get a higher offer I'm taking it and will notify them.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1217 posts
1231 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: If I was a purchaser, I'd balk at this immediately. Part of the thread's title is Kijiji Scammers, and that's what asking for etransfer money up front would sound like to me, a potential scam.
I do this all the time when someone asks to hold an item because they can't get there for a few days. Many will do it. I simply say it's first come first served due to the number of times I've been burned in the past and if they want me to hold an item for a day or two and potentially lose other buyers if they don't show up I won't hold the item unless they are willing to etransfer a small deposit. otherwise I'll tell them to text me the day of to see if it's still available. It can be as low as $5 on a $20-30 item.

Those are my terms, if they don't like it they can find the item elsewhere. Works like a charm. I normally do this on items where there is a lot of interest.

I'm not a store, if someone is asking me to accommodate them and hold something for 2-3 days then they will have to accommodate my request as well. Saves the frustration of no shows
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 24, 2004
4860 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Not really an idiot but was actually a quite decent buyer came to pick up at an agreed location with a valid reason of being late.
He only told me he would be paying by eTransfer at spot and would wait until payment got through and deposited.

Not a big deal to me but what if someone doesn't use mobile banking?
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Feedback: HoFo | eBay | Heatware
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18342 posts
6369 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly why is it that certain buyers you can tell from their name that they are just wasting your time.
Penalty Box
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6240 posts
2090 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Honestly why is it that certain buyers you can tell from their name that they are just wasting your time.
Because that is their way of doing business.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1001 posts
726 upvotes
Durham Region
Well kijiji messenger is semi down today. Messages delayed or not sending at all.

Now I’m not sure if the people messaging me are scammers/idiots or if it’s because kijiji is broken
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 30, 2013
3644 posts
3701 upvotes
Ottawa
phoenix_bladen wrote: I think folks need to be more patient and not get too emotional over comments from kijiji buyers.

Come up with a process on how to sell and stick with your principles

If someone asks “is this available?” Just say “yes it’s available “

For all we know that phrase could just be an ice breaker because they don’t know what else to say or whether or not when they are trying to buy stuff it’s always “sorry sold”

I don’t think you guys need to be so worked up.

They ask a question you give them an answer. They lowball you or try to ask you to meet somewhere just say “price firm “ “pick up only”

It’s really that simple.

If they say “when can I pick up?” Give them a park address or plaza and if they can’t do that location then move on to the next buyer !

Find a buyer that meets only YOUR TERMS!

You have to weed out a bunch of bad apples to get some cash folks !!!

And don’t ever sound desperate other wise they will have leverage or take advantage of you!
Was able to sell my PS4 Pro for $400, my asking price, and it started from the default "Is this available?"

Never say never. I took a long break from selling things, almost a full year, but over the last month I've sold at least 10 items. Very little problems, just the occasional no show, but we're all used to that by now.
Tampa Bay Lightning ⚡ 2020 Stanley Cup Champions!!!
Sr. Member
Dec 12, 2007
642 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
Batarang wrote: Was able to sell my PS4 Pro for $400, my asking price, and it started from the default "Is this available?"

Never say never. I took a long break from selling things, almost a full year, but over the last month I've sold at least 10 items. Very little problems, just the occasional no show, but we're all used to that by now.
That’s right!

If you find a buyer that meets your terms only, they are most likely serious buyers because they are willing to do what it takes to get your product. Therefore you will have less issues with these types of people.

All of my 20 or so transactions have been smooth so far this year except I had an idiot give me a 1 star review even though he never bought anything from me. He started the convo with “is it available?”. I gave him all my available dates and the time and meet up location. He beats around the bush without choosing anything and then proceeds to ask me for another date and time, I said sure but same meet up location. I ask him to confirm all of the details before we meet. He gave no reply.

I didn’t follow up since if he wants it he will reply back


Few days later I got a bad review from him. But luckily I also gave him a bad review so a double whammy
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2015
1001 posts
726 upvotes
Durham Region
phoenix_bladen wrote: That’s right!

If you find a buyer that meets your terms only, they are most likely serious buyers because they are willing to do what it takes to get your product. Therefore you will have less issues with these types of people.

All of my 20 or so transactions have been smooth so far this year except I had an idiot give me a 1 star review even though he never bought anything from me. He started the convo with “is it available?”. I gave him all my available dates and the time and meet up location. He beats around the bush without choosing anything and then proceeds to ask me for another date and time, I said sure but same meet up location. I ask him to confirm all of the details before we meet. He gave no reply.

I didn’t follow up since if he wants it he will reply back


Few days later I got a bad review from him. But luckily I also gave him a bad review so a double whammy
The early days review system was brutal. They should scrub those reviews from peoples profiles
All my bad ones are from deadbeats like you described
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1340 posts
422 upvotes
GTA
carmaster wrote: Honestly why is it that certain buyers you can tell from their name that they are just wasting your time.
or their cell #
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18342 posts
6369 upvotes
Toronto
ericlewis91 wrote: or their cell #
Then the guy has the nerve to ask me to deliver, I told him $30 extra and no response back. LOL.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 10, 2004
3931 posts
1275 upvotes
Edmonton
I gotta say, users on Kijiji are just out to troll lately..

Its not even worth trying to sell if people can't carry a decent conversation. But lately its just a whole new level of people who just keep wasting your time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8581 posts
1520 upvotes
Had a fool write to me about an item, confirm they are coming and of course not show up. Then, several hours later writes to me about another item I have for sale asking if it's available? Felt awfully good hitting that block button and to think, Kijiji would like me to starting paying them for this type of aggrevation? Lol is right.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Sr. Member
Dec 12, 2007
642 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
networksend wrote: The early days review system was brutal. They should scrub those reviews from peoples profiles
All my bad ones are from deadbeats like you described
I actually emailed customer service of kijiji to request them to remove it as I explained them the situation and also attached the proof that,y interaction with the user was fair. Of course they were totally useless and gave me the following reply -

———

Hello Xxxx

Thanks for reaching out to us! Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response as we are experiencing more than the usual amount of queries.

I’m sorry to hear that someone left a negative review on your profile. I understand that this can be frustrating. To keep the review system balanced, we’re not able to remove negative reviews.

We’ve introduced reviews to encourage friendly and fair trading between all users on Kijiji. Leaving reviews allows you to let users know what you loved about your interaction, as well as what they can improve next time. By being able to make more informed decisions, you can help encourage fair trading and ensure that every interaction on Kijiji is a great one. That being said, most users on Kijiji also recognize that a small number of bad reviews may not tell the whole story.

Reviews can be left when at least 7 messages (back and forth) have been sent. Once the minimum number of messages is met, the option to leave a review will appear after the conversation has been quiet (no messages sent) for 72 hours.

I am really sorry about this, Mike and I wish you all the best going forward.

Best regards,

Cleo, Kijiji Community Support

————-

Funny now I have nine 5 star reviews and ONE bad apple from a guy that never purchased from me.......

That’s how bad their review system is !
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 28, 2003
10125 posts
3226 upvotes
Ottawa
I messaged another dude earlier today to arrange a transaction and used his first name (listed on Kijiji) in the message. He replied back and told me not to call him with his first name because he doesn't know me personally.

I was like Whoa chill dude. If you don't want people to call you by your first name then edit your Kijij profile and just use *Kijij User* or whatever name you want to put in there. Secondly, I actually showed you a sign of respect and civility by using your first name rather than just one of those generic words like *Hey*, *What's up*, *bud*, *buddy* etc.

Some people...
[removed]

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)