Shopping Discussion

Kijiji sellers that reserve their item to you, and then are hard to contact (is it a trend?)

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2018 7:59 am
Sep 3, 2006
314 posts
141 upvotes
Montreal

Kijiji sellers that reserve their item to you, and then are hard to contact (is it a trend?)

Lately, I faced an issue with Kijiji with many sellers. They reply quickly to my message and accept to reserve the item to me.

I ask them when and where I can meet them. I am very accomodating especially if I found a great deal. Then the circus starts : the guy says he works a lot, can't tell me when we'll meet yet. Maybe tomorrow, maybe after. After a while I contact him again to make sure he still have the item and to try to set a transaction in person. Still impossible. Sparse replies to kijiji messages or no answers on phone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not harassing here. I contact the guy once a day TOP. I don't exceed that in fear that he will be pissed and sell to someone else.

It happened to me 2 years ago for an Xbox 360. And then last year on a Wii U. And now it happens again but for a cellphone. Everytime, the price was very competitive and I gave up and ended up buying from someone else at a higher price. Is there some trend I am unaware of? Like fake listings to lower the price of the item so THEY have some influence over the market? That's the only reason I can think of but if it was that, why would they even reply in the first place? Just leave your fake ad there and don't reply to anyone. Right?

Anyways. Do you have an idea of why this is becoming a thing? Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2131 posts
797 upvotes
Ottawa
He may get a higher offer and sold to other buyer instead. And he felt guilty to answer your call after.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Sep 3, 2006
314 posts
141 upvotes
Montreal
Well, that's what I thought as well so I kindly asked if it was sold to someone else.. Everytime, the seller said it wasn't and was still for me. At that point I figure out someone would take the "get out of the embarassing situation" card and simply say it is sold. Yet they don't, they just keep saying they can't see me yet and will contact me when they can.

As I said, After a while I give up and never hear about the seller again...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Here’s a thought...
Maybe he doesn’t have it in stock and is STALLING you intentionally

Based on various RFD posts on such items it seems to me there is a real network of FLIPPERS out there buying stuff and reselling it

Definitely have seen this trend on the threads surrounding PCO Points & Promotions...
Be it Shoppers Drugmart for Video Games & Consoles
Or Loblaws Mobile Kiosks for phones etc

Lol, either that or he’s a dude dealing in “hot” merchandise and just waiting for his “supply” as well

Personally, I don’t buy electronics or tech off of the likes of Kijiji (too many hassles / horror stories)

I buy mine the legit way... and have to admit i’ve Learned a lot from RFD on how to do that and get the best bang for my buck
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
I don't usually treat Kijiji's BST super serious. In the sense of I know they are tons of people who contacted you and interested, then disappear, or agreed to meet up, then never show up.
When I'm selling, I tell them to come close to whaete I'm at, so I don't waste tons of commute time for nothing and I re-confirm the day before or hours before I go out.

To OP, if they don't response, just move on. If it is a good deal, simply because seller is dragging and hope to sell to the person who pay him the most and if the deal fails, you will be his back up buyer.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2131 posts
797 upvotes
Ottawa
Voltz23 wrote: Well, that's what I thought as well so I kindly asked if it was sold to someone else.. Everytime, the seller said it wasn't and was still for me. At that point I figure out someone would take the "get out of the embarassing situation" card and simply say it is sold. Yet they don't, they just keep saying they can't see me yet and will contact me when they can.

As I said, After a while I give up and never hear about the seller again...
Take it easy. Maybe he is in vacation or he's waiting for his new phone coming ... Anyway, it's not end of world.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
May 31, 2012
14 posts
4 upvotes
EDMONTON
Agree OP is just his backup buyer. Just take it easy as nothing else can be done on your side.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
It's easy to "take" a reservation from a faceless buyer, but harder to "hold" the reservation...yes Seinfeld.

It's usually the other way around and the reservee is the flake...consider they thought of that risk.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Apr 14, 2006
415 posts
277 upvotes
I sell stuff on online....it's usually first come first serve. Lot's of people flake I will have multiple backups if / when things fall through. You were his backup. He probably has dozens of emails and just replying them en mass.

If the price is significantly lower than normal you will need to make the effort to push for the meet with money in hand and don't expect a reservation. Maybe throw in a token gift like a few extra dollars or candy or something.