Automotive

Kindly Recommend Must Have Car Accessories

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2021 10:43 am
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 23, 2019
36 posts
10 upvotes

Kindly Recommend Must Have Car Accessories

Hello RFD' fam,

As the title states, I am looking to have some accessories installed for my car and wanting your feedback/options/recommended makes and ideal prices for :

1. Remote Starter
2. Tire Inflator
3. Dash Cam (Front / Rear) - the one which probably has a clean install
4. Alloy Wheel Locks - is it needed? Is theft common?
5. Emergency Kits
6. Roadside Assistance - AMA/CAA vs Canadian Tire? I don't have a credit card that offers this perk so will opt for a membership.
7. Snow brush - looking at Garant Snow Brush (non-bristles type) at Canadian Tire
8. Winter Tires + Alloy Set (I'll look at this in September only)

Please feel free to pitch in with your suggestions in case you recommend any other must have accessory in the interest of one's own + vehicle safety if I missed out on something. I'm a 1st time vehicle owner in this country but have driven extensively in other regions - but just being overly cautious here.

Thank you - your advise & responses are much appreciated :)
20 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 3, 2010
1100 posts
589 upvotes
Richmond Hill
BBThumbHealer wrote: 3. Dash Cam (Front / Rear) - the one which probably has a clean install
*
*
6. Roadside Assistance - AMA/CAA vs Canadian Tire? I don't have a credit card that offers this perk so will opt for a membership.
Quick comment on dash cams...I think they are nice to have...not necessary though. In my opinion. They did let me capture some nice videos...but not of me in an accident.

As for roadside assistance...I have been with TD Auto Club for many many years...it is a part of my VISA card. In the beginning, it was great. I used it a couple of times and they would show up within the hour -- I think it was closer to 30 minutes -- and once it was while it was snowing.

More recently, a couple of years ago, I called them up looking for a tow. It was a drizzly day, not heavy rain, but they told me it would take 4 hours. The stupid thing was that I totally forgot I had a new car and I used my car's auto club, which came within 30 minutes.

So...those "included" services with a credit card...maybe YMMV...If you go with an actual CAA membership, you go with premium and make sure they get there within minutes. You don't have time to wait HOURS in a parking lot for a tow.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16808 posts
18506 upvotes
Oakville
BBThumbHealer wrote: Hello RFD' fam,

As the title states, I am looking to have some accessories installed for my car and wanting your feedback/options/recommended makes and ideal prices for :

1. Remote Starter
2. Tire Inflator
3. Dash Cam (Front / Rear) - the one which probably has a clean install
4. Alloy Wheel Locks - is it needed? Is theft common?
5. Emergency Kits
6. Roadside Assistance - AMA/CAA vs Canadian Tire? I don't have a credit card that offers this perk so will opt for a membership.
7. Snow brush - looking at Garant Snow Brush (non-bristles type) at Canadian Tire
8. Winter Tires + Alloy Set (I'll look at this in September only)

Please feel free to pitch in with your suggestions in case you recommend any other must have accessory in the interest of one's own + vehicle safety if I missed out on something. I'm a 1st time vehicle owner in this country but have driven extensively in other regions - but just being overly cautious here.

Thank you - your advise & responses are much appreciated :)
1. Remote Starter i wouldn't consider this a must have
2. Tire Inflator yes, along with puncture repair kit
3. Dash Cam (Front / Rear) - the one which probably has a clean install only front is must have. rear is nice to have. I put old dash cams there
4. Alloy Wheel Locks - is it needed? Is theft common? no, you do NOT want these. They will cause more problems for you and offer no real security
5. Emergency Kits yes
6. Roadside Assistance - AMA/CAA vs Canadian Tire? I don't have a credit card that offers this perk so will opt for a membership. depends, I never had it until I got it free on my CT mastercard, but it is good handy if get it on sale
7. Snow brush - looking at Garant Snow Brush (non-bristles type) at Canadian Tire yes, along with a traction aid kit (for if you get stuck in snow and a small portable shovel.
8. Winter Tires + Alloy Set (I'll look at this in September only) yes, worth looking now, you might find a closeout deal or someone selling barely used set on kijiji
sunshade
jumper cables
small battery booster
intelligent battery charger to periodically charge your battery at home
block heater or oil pan heater for cold days
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
29579 posts
15378 upvotes
Toronto
Winter floor mats. If you want them, wait for a sale, like Black Friday.
Winter wiper blades
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16808 posts
18506 upvotes
Oakville
toram23901 wrote: Quick comment on dash cams...I think they are nice to have...not necessary though. In my opinion. They did let me capture some nice videos...but not of me in an accident.

As for roadside assistance...I have been with TD Auto Club for many many years...it is a part of my VISA card. In the beginning, it was great. I used it a couple of times and they would show up within the hour -- I think it was closer to 30 minutes -- and once it was while it was snowing.

More recently, a couple of years ago, I called them up looking for a tow. It was a drizzly day, not heavy rain, but they told me it would take 4 hours. The stupid thing was that I totally forgot I had a new car and I used my car's auto club, which came within 30 minutes.

So...those "included" services with a credit card...maybe YMMV...If you go with an actual CAA membership, you go with premium and make sure they get there within minutes. You don't have time to wait HOURS in a parking lot for a tow.
Are you saying a dashcam isn't needed because you haven't been in an accident? So I guess you don't think a seatbelt is needed either?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1535 posts
927 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Digital tire pressure gauge.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 3, 2010
1100 posts
589 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote: Are you saying a dashcam isn't needed because you haven't been in an accident? So I guess you don't think a seatbelt is needed either?
If you choose to extrapolate a statement out of a few words...go ahead. You might as well just say that I think all life is meaningless and leave it at that.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16808 posts
18506 upvotes
Oakville
toram23901 wrote: If you choose to extrapolate a statement out of a few words...go ahead. You might as well just say that I think all life is meaningless and leave it at that.
Why not choose to explain your reasoning? Rather than have use assume your reasoning is consistent?
So why no necessary then? What if you get in a he says/she says accident without a dashcam? What if you get Ragu'd?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21944 posts
2756 upvotes
Mini tool kit. I have a DIY tool roll with a ratchet, select sockets, screw drivers, zip ties, tape, pliers, cutters. Can fix minor issues both in the car and not.
Member
Aug 23, 2017
221 posts
177 upvotes
toram23901 wrote: Quick comment on dash cams...I think they are nice to have...not necessary though. In my opinion. They did let me capture some nice videos...but not of me in an accident.

I respectfully disagree.

Think of the dashcam as a plunger. Better to have it before rather than when you are in deep s**t.
[OP]
Newbie
Dec 23, 2019
36 posts
10 upvotes
Thank you all for your responses. Could someone please also recommend the brands that are tested/reliable? Also sources where I can get them for cheap.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1014 posts
793 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
If you have Ryobi One+ batteries go grab their $30 or $50 tire inflator that uses them. I love mine. I can inflate each tire exactly what I want. Cordless / no messing with 12V plugs etc.

Emergency kit = food/water, blanket, rain jacket /extra winter gear depending on season. I always have extra clothes especially socks because I work outdoors, and a blanket/pillow.

Fire extinguisher - every vehicle should have one secured somewhere. Even velcro it to under a seat somewhere.

Umbrella? More of a BC thing. I always pack one when I go to Vancouver. I keep one in my car.

Jerry can perhaps. Filled and secured. Maybe?

On my Jeep I have 3 things to plug in. I connected a battery blanket, block heater, and interior space heater all in to one cord so I can plug them all in simultaneously and control them via WiFi/Data/Bluetooth on a smart plug.

Pack of 7.5-20amp fuses and a fuse puller.

$50 Amazon compact booster pack that also acts as a 20k mAH battery pack for emergency charging. I think mine only does up to 3.0L gas engines. It gave my 3.7L Jeep enough juice to continue turning over on the coldest day of the year but something else was going on that was preventing it from firing that day.

Remote starter - watch for Visions Electronics, they have killer deals 2-3x a year. I picked up the best DataLink one they had that also has a phone app to it for $600 including the install and warranty.

Also some sweet head units if that tickles your fancy. Can get a Tesla screen or a 8.4" UConnect style screen that has performance/data pages when linked with the vehicles OBD2 port.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1686 posts
2055 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Grocery bag hooks for sedans. :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2016
1865 posts
881 upvotes
Ontario
Phone charger/USB etc is always handy to have in a vehicle to keep your phone topped up...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
4568 posts
2085 upvotes
Tinted windows!

Tint makes a huge difference to me, love to have it especially for road trips.

My current car got tinted as soon as I could. Also, ordered Weathertech, best way to keep the inside clean.

I would also recommend looking into clear paint protection vinyl film, but this is not a must-have.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
4568 posts
2085 upvotes
Also, for rim theft, I have never had a problem, or anyone in my neighborhood. But also it depends on the area / city.

I have a set of Enkei (nothing special) with NO wheel locks. https://enkei.com/shop/wheels/performance/ekm3/ The car stays parked outside on my driveway 24/7.

Some of my neighbors with SUVs / pick ups have more expensive wheels (21", 22"), I don't think anyone have had a problem around here. But as I said... YMMV

Top