Home & Garden

Are Kingsdown mattresses reliable/durable?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 3:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6075 posts
7487 upvotes
GTA

Are Kingsdown mattresses reliable/durable?

I've seen mixed reviews on Kingsdown mattresses. This one looks good on paper and feels very comfortable.https://www.sleepcountry.ca/kingsdown-s ... uct/02015M It has 1500 coils in the queen size. I can get it for $1600. I'm just not sure yet. I think I want to go with a coil mattress rather than a foam one. We are side sleepers and like a medium/medium firm mattress. Any input would be appreciated.
6 replies
Sep 15, 2017
796 posts
905 upvotes
Loved my Kingsdown we had previously and regret changing. Will try them again when its time to get another.
Sep 23, 2019
294 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Kingsdown mattress that I bought 1.5yr ago, king size. The original price was 3600$, paid about 1800$ + tax. Within the first 6 months, it developed sagging and that is a very commonly reported issue by many many users. Sagging is very visible, but the warranty does not cover it, as it is just a little bit too small. I do not remember the exact numbers, but an example would be: if warranty will cover if sagging is 1'', but my mattress is sagging 3/4''.
Since then I have bought 4 other queen mattresses from Walmart (Mainstays), Amazon (Zinus), and Costco (Blackstone), all of them made from memory foam (not coils) with a price range from 100$ to 500$. I would not buy another coil mattress - does not make sense to pay $1000+. Over the last 10 years, all my coils mattresses were sagging after few years of usage, but companies always find excuses not to cover the warranty.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2024 posts
1089 upvotes
Oakville
I think it will really depend on whether you are getting a tight-top mattress or a pillow-top mattress.

Tight-top mattresses should not sag at all. All pillow-tops will visibly sag over time, as it is some form of padding sewn on top of a tight-top mattress, and that padding/foam is wearing out.

In my opinion, it is better idea to buy a tight-top mattress and then buy a separate pillow-top or foam-top mattress pad to go on top, and then replace the top as needed.

We've had our Kingsdown king-size tight-top mattress for 9 years now, and it is perfectly flat still. The foam topper pad that we bought at the same time, on the hand, has visible indentations. We rotate and flip the mattress pad periodically, and we will need to buy a replacement at some point, but these are only a couple hundred bucks to replace compared to the $1k plus to replace a pillow-top mattress, because the pillow-top is sagging.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6075 posts
7487 upvotes
GTA
cba123 wrote: I think it will really depend on whether you are getting a tight-top mattress or a pillow-top mattress.

Tight-top mattresses should not sag at all. All pillow-tops will visibly sag over time, as it is some form of padding sewn on top of a tight-top mattress, and that padding/foam is wearing out.

In my opinion, it is better idea to buy a tight-top mattress and then buy a separate pillow-top or foam-top mattress pad to go on top, and then replace the top as needed.

We've had our Kingsdown king-size tight-top mattress for 9 years now, and it is perfectly flat still. The foam topper pad that we bought at the same time, on the hand, has visible indentations. We rotate and flip the mattress pad periodically, and we will need to buy a replacement at some point, but these are only a couple hundred bucks to replace compared to the $1k plus to replace a pillow-top mattress, because the pillow-top is sagging.
Thanks, I'll do some research on toppers. Any recommendations on a mattress topper?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2024 posts
1089 upvotes
Oakville
Comfort is a personal, subjective decision.
The firmness should come more from the mattress, while the cushioni-ness will come more from the topper.
See if you can try different mattress toppers on the different flat-top beds, and try out all the different combinations yourself.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2689 posts
1013 upvotes
Nunavut
tew wrote: I've seen mixed reviews on Kingsdown mattresses. This one looks good on paper and feels very comfortable.https://www.sleepcountry.ca/kingsdown-s ... uct/02015M It has 1500 coils in the queen size. I can get it for $1600. I'm just not sure yet. I think I want to go with a coil mattress rather than a foam one. We are side sleepers and like a medium/medium firm mattress. Any input would be appreciated.
I'm sure you can do better than $1600 from these guys, I would try to get down to about $1200 tax in, say you can get a similar Kingsdown at Leons for cheaper, make up a price