Shopping Discussion

Are Kirkland/Costco wool trail socks discontinued?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 11:18 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
269 posts
155 upvotes

Are Kirkland/Costco wool trail socks discontinued?

I remember a couple years ago buying some Kirkland merino wool trail socks, they were really great socks and I haven't seen them in any Costcos over the last year or so. Are they discontinued? I wish they were still available, since I haven't found any other trail socks that were as comfortable as these
Images
  • Kirkland-Signature-Mens-Merino-Wool-Blend-Trail-Socks-Costco-1-640x480.jpg
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4511 posts
2737 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Appears to be, I miss them as well.
😱
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1187 upvotes
Montreal
They were too good, had to put an end to them.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14215 posts
8308 upvotes
Toronto
You missed them, they’re gone for the season
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11651 posts
507 upvotes
Don't know the price of these, but you can get comparable from brands like Darn Tough, SmartWool, and WigWam.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2381 posts
3245 upvotes
I bought a 4-pack last year (2016/2017 winter) and again this year (2017/2018 winter). So they still exist, but I haven't seen them in a few weeks now.
Mar 11, 2002
863 posts
262 upvotes
$14.99 if I recall for the 2 or 4 pack. Strange they bring them out in the fall...
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1106 posts
1214 upvotes
Swerny wrote: You missed them, they’re gone for the season
Yep, cleared out for the season as it's half past February, they're getting ready for the Spring products.
mbg wrote: Don't know the price of these, but you can get comparable from brands like Darn Tough, SmartWool, and WigWam.
Those are great socks, but one pair of Darn Tough cost more than 4 pairs of these Costco socks. Different uses though, Costco merino wool trail socks for me is only good for general warmth, Darn Tough and Smartwool is my go-to for very long hikes or skiing as the Costco wool trail socks are super super thick.
clboy wrote: $14.99 if I recall for the 2 or 4 pack. Strange they bring them out in the fall...
Costco always bring out winter stuff in the fall, around October or September for some merchandises. These are $15 now for a 4 pair pack, if there's still some straggling around by March or April, they would discount these to $12 or $10. The regular price a few years back was $11, it has gone up. I have enough pairs of these for life when they were on sale at $10 during clearance.
Mar 26, 2008
27 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
This past year's model were crap compared to previous years, though. Much less comfortable and lower quality.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11651 posts
507 upvotes
clboy wrote: $14.99 if I recall for the 2 or 4 pack. Strange they bring them out in the fall...
@isgaard mentioned that they were thick, so maybe they are meant for winter. Merino wool blends are good for summer/fall hiking, but only if they are thin. Thin and durable is a challenge.

That price is good, but price isn't too useful without knowing the quality. Hiking socks need to be very durable, especially if they're going to be used for multi-day backpacking.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
269 posts
155 upvotes
Spudd wrote: This past year's model were crap compared to previous years, though. Much less comfortable and lower quality.
Ahhh that's a bummer. I remember the couple pairs I got a few years ago were really comfortable, and pretty well made.
Aug 30, 2017
248 posts
169 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
Spudd wrote: This past year's model were crap compared to previous years, though. Much less comfortable and lower quality.
I have been purchasing these for around ten years. The quality has gone down over the years.
Quite a bit thinner now and are more elastic (more relaxed weave).

The older versions are a bear to match up because the colours are hard to distinguish. I have given up they are so close, ha ha.

Despite this and the hassle of turning them inside out and back for laundering they are my go to outdoors sport sock.
I probably have about 25 pair with another 3 or 4 packs waiting to go that I would pick up for 9.97 at the end of the season.

They still are great value for light hiking or boot wear.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1656 posts
1351 upvotes
these are (or I should say were) my favourite socks. Yes the quality seems to get flimsier each year but the price keeps going up. I really liked the original colours (black and brown combination) but a couple years ago they changed it to black and blue (I still have a sealed pack). It doesn't seem to hug my foot comfortably as the originals. You can still find some fulfilled by amazon.ca but over double the price. It looks like the 'pattern' design has also been updated which doesn't look as nice.

https://www.amazon.ca/Outdoor-Trail-Soc ... B01ICEJ2WC
Always hungry ;)
Jul 15, 2009
33 posts
14 upvotes
Markham
The socks are back at Richmond Hill Costco, $15.99 for a pack of 4