• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2021 7:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes

Kirkland protein bars

What’s the deal with the kirkland protein bars? They’re on the us website but not the Canadian

Are they sold in stores? Anyone see them in the gta?
19 replies
Mar 20, 2018
113 posts
85 upvotes
Costco used to carry the bars but stopped. Now I see the Quest brand of the same flavours in stock but they contain artificial sweeteners now.
😎
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1187 posts
87 upvotes
Richmond Hill
amazon.ca has them - - but they are $40+ for 20 bars
Up and Atom!!!
If my thread or post was helpful, a "thank you" is always nice.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4962 posts
1495 upvotes
0 downvotes
Never tried the Kirkland protein bars but we tried just the regular Kirkland granola bars they seem quite well, not sure how much difference in protein but the kids seem to love them and schools are okay with them for snacks
Hi
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1582 posts
892 upvotes
Toronto
We always bought a box when we saw them. Hope they come back to stores in Canada.
Sep 5, 2018
21 posts
20 upvotes
I emailed Costco and this is their reply:

"In response to your email, it appears we have Costco item 1014809 Kirkland Signature Protein Bars listed as New for select Western Canadian locations and we hope to receive shipments around the end of October, 2020. To confirm the availability, please contact or visit your local warehouse around that time in order to see how the staff may assist."

I phoned my warehouse (Edmonton S) and they said the bars were showing as on order and should arrive any day. That item number is not yet on Costco's website, but it looks like our long wait could soon be over.
Nov 25, 2003
643 posts
280 upvotes
Have they ever been available at costco.ca? Amazon only sells the mix pack. I love the chocolate but hate the cookie dough.
Sep 5, 2018
21 posts
20 upvotes
They were always available on Costco.ca except when they were being "reformulated" which, unfortunately has happened twice in the past 3 or so years. Currently, they have been unavailable for just over a year. I phoned Edmonton South and was told - November 4. We shall see.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1486 posts
525 upvotes
GTA
MartinG76408 wrote: They were always available on Costco.ca except when they were being "reformulated" which, unfortunately has happened twice in the past 3 or so years. Currently, they have been unavailable for just over a year. I phoned Edmonton South and was told - November 4. We shall see.
Did they fix the gas issue?
Sep 5, 2018
21 posts
20 upvotes
That is my sincere hope. Over the past year, all or their replies have stated that the bars were being reformulated to remove the inulin. My understanding is that the inulin (from chicory root) was causing the gas issues. As to why they couldn't just keep selling the original bars (which, I believe, are the same bars they have been selling in the U.S. this whole time), I have no idea. The U.S. bars contain tapioca starch rather than inulin.
Sep 5, 2018
21 posts
20 upvotes
Bad news. Here is the e-mail response I received today:

"Our buyers have responded. There have been delays on this item and it will likely be another 4-6 weeks. What the warehouse would have been seeing in the system are requested delivery dates and not confirmed delivery appointments."
Oct 28, 2009
23 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton
Available in some stores in Ontario, Costco Ancaster at least.
Dec 29, 2007
58 posts
12 upvotes
I purchases a few boxes of these new ones. The taste is okay, however sadly not the same formula they have in the US. The new ones here are about 15 net carbs compared to 3 to 4 for the US version.
The old Canadian version used Inulin which was awful for gas... The US version used Tapioca which didn’t cause any digestive issues. The new Canadian version has neither of those fibres so it appears they added another non fibre carb instead...sad.
The ones sold on Amazon up to this point are the US version and are about $43.00.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20170 posts
4725 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I just picked up a box of these at Burlington Costco.
The physical package does not list inulin.
- casual gastronomist -
Feb 20, 2015
27 posts
18 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
I picked up a box tonight (BC) and will be returning them. Too sweet. So unfortunate that they did not use the US formula which I believe was the version we had before the inulin version.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3215 posts
667 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Must watch the nutrition values on the new boxes..in the US they have a red banner telling you ingredients have changed. Net carbs is up and ingredients are suspicious. Luckily I'm quite happy with the No Sugar Added Company bars/bombs for a snack... (the bombs are the best!)