• Dec 3rd, 2020 2:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1177 posts
285 upvotes
Vaughan

Kitchen Built-in Appliances

My builder is charging approximately 6K for just the cut-out of a built-in range and double walloven or walloven/microwave combo. We like the look of the built-ins but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced problems down the road with their appliances. I'm assuming if any of the appliances breaks, finding replacement appliances to fit the exact cut-out down the road must be difficult? or are the sizes for top ranges and built-in oven/microwave combos fairly standard?

$6K is also a very steep price so I'm wondering if it is cheaper and even possible hiring a kitchen contractor after closing to do this. Anyone have any regrets going with built-ins?
5 replies
Dec 25, 2006
252 posts
70 upvotes
Sizes for built-in appliances are generally standard with minor differences. You could always consider replacing a faulty unit with the same one as well.

What built-in models were you planning on purchasing? I am also shopping around for appliances these days.

Also builders do charge significantly for built-ins. They are charging me about the same and it does not include overlay paneling which is extra.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1177 posts
285 upvotes
Vaughan
kingsha wrote: Sizes for built-in appliances are generally standard with minor differences. You could always consider replacing a faulty unit with the same one as well.

What built-in models were you planning on purchasing? I am also shopping around for appliances these days.

Also builders do charge significantly for built-ins. They are charging me about the same and it does not include overlay paneling which is extra.
I'm worried about the faulty unit being discontinued down the road. We are just considering a built-in range and a wall oven and microwave combo.

What exactly is overlay panelling? I should probably ask if there are any additional costs during my decor meeting.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1112 posts
300 upvotes
Oakville, ON
otaknap wrote: I'm worried about the faulty unit being discontinued down the road. We are just considering a built-in range and a wall oven and microwave combo.

What exactly is overlay panelling? I should probably ask if there are any additional costs during my decor meeting.
Overlay paneling is where you would use a wood panel as a façade. The panel would match your kitchen cabinets. You don't need to do this, but it adds additional cost.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6096 posts
2695 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I wouldn't use panel-required appliances. Can be a pain to find down the road unless you have a very, plan, common, timeless style.

Check sizes of appliances, such as oven width and height to gauge what is standard. If you do a lot of cooking, a double wall oven is very nice (unless you plan to get a wall oven in addition tot he range (cooktop and oven combo also known as a stove). My late in-laws had one at their house and my wife and I still miss having it to use.

Not sure if you are looking for a range or a cooktop but cutouts for the latter can vary in size.

For the wall oven, it is "just" wiring for the appliances and a space - a full-height cabinet - for the oven and MW (you also need trim). Seems a lot since there will be a cabinet anyway.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Jan 20, 2012
816 posts
440 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the Wall oven are standard sized. So replacing with a new set won't cost huge problem. So are the cooktops as well. However it depends how much opening builder cuts your counter. You may need to do some buffering to fit a new cooktop.