kitchen cabinets is white the new trend

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 5:54 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes

kitchen cabinets is white the new trend

i have to select kitchen for my new house ..every model i go i see white cabinets ..is white new trend i am just worried about the maintenance of white kitchen.

i went to friends house today he had black kitchen cabinets which also looked cool to me ..

any thoughts and suggestions about island and cabinets and other stuff please share
85 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11944 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
mattdominic wrote: i have to select kitchen for my new house ..every model i go i see white cabinets ..is white new trend i am just worried about the maintenance of white kitchen.

i went to friends house today he had black kitchen cabinets which also looked cool to me ..

any thoughts and suggestions about island and cabinets and other stuff please share
White has been around for a long time. My cousin’s 1999 home is all white, easy to clean.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36154 posts
9417 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
My cabinets are white. It is definitely the trend. It also makes the room look brighter. Don’t go with black or brown.

Subway tiles are also trending.

For counters, stay away from granite and go for quartz. It doesn’t look as nice as granite, but quartz is non porous and that is more important for health reasons

If you have a large island, try to get a sink installed or if it is smaller, ask for a 20 amp electrical outlet. Request an 8” cut out for the range hood instead of the 6”

Avoid build in appliances like microwaves and ovens.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2415 posts
3177 upvotes
West GTA
White is fine for cabinets and makes your kitchen look big, just don't get a plain white countertop as you'll see every bit of stain.
Nov 2, 2018
191 posts
79 upvotes
I'm not the "tidiest" guy in the world, but no problem keeping white kitchen clean at all. If you are able to choose a specific color, go with Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace. At least that's my pick for a kitchen white
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes
kitchensample.JPG

I liked that hood style might go with some color matches the cabinets ...along with the similar island style in the reference pic
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21607 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
White Cabinets are a STAPLE
They are always in fashion ... just sometimes they trend more than at other times

Parents had an all white kitchen in the 1950s & 60s ... accents were Primaries or Pastels

Wood / earth tones were big in the 1970s ... accents were Avocado, Harvest Gold, Brown, or Burnt Orange

Almond was the it colour in the 1980s ... accents were Blue or Yellow

White made a comeback in the 1990s ... Red was a big accent colour

Since the 2000s materials have changed a lot ... so now any colour / finish has been possible

High Gloss Industrial has been a huge look ... White is big, but so are colours not normally designated to the kitchen for cabinets ... like Black, Grey, Navy & Sage Green (and a resurgent of 1970s vibe with shades of Green, Orange, and Gold ... although more neon like than earthy )

White Cabinets with White Subway Tiles ... are classic & timeless. Cannot go wrong with these
And it won’t “date” your kitchen if you are smart about countertops & flooring. Buy quality and all you’ll ever have to do to update the look is change out any paint you put on the walls, and your accessories (like kitchen linens)

I like white kitchens a lot ... but I got to admit I am also drawn to the more dramatic looks that are now available too.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3252 posts
1386 upvotes
I did white with a black island and it looks great. Also, quartz backsplash for the win. It's our first time doing it and it looks so much better than tile.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1677 posts
592 upvotes
We just did dark grey on the bottom and white up top, white has been popular forever because it really brightens up the kitchen.
Nov 15, 2006
688 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
Pinterest is always flooded with the trendiest colour scheme.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3078 posts
1875 upvotes
GTA
Gee wrote: My cabinets are white. It is definitely the trend. It also makes the room look brighter. Don’t go with black or brown.

Subway tiles are also trending.

For counters, stay away from granite and go for quartz. It doesn’t look as nice as granite, but quartz is non porous and that is more important for health reasons

If you have a large island, try to get a sink installed or if it is smaller, ask for a 20 amp electrical outlet. Request an 8” cut out for the range hood instead of the 6”

Avoid build in appliances like microwaves and ovens.
I'd disagree with sink in island as I had one in old house and for entertaining it takes up space which in turn I needed the sink at times while guests sat across from me and apps in front of them to bite on. Water around food while I was trying to clean few things I didnt like as well it takes up island space which I like having.

House i'm in now I left the island as one big space to use and I prefer it much better, to each their own and just giving my input.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36399 posts
10652 upvotes
Ottawa
White is not a trend but a constant.
If you want a kitchen to remain looking nice for a long time, make the cupboards white and use accent colours for counter tops and back splashes.
If you want to remodel in a while, get the trendy colours and combinations.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9310 posts
10901 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Next thread “what’s with all this gray paint and furniture...is this a trend?”

White kitchens became the go to colour as the travertine-taupe-tan fizzled about 10 years ago. Sure you will still see some whacked out design show trying to be different with dark kitchens and/or brass fixtures. But they are just trying to be different. It’s not something that most buyers want.

I also went with the island as one big useable space and the sink and cooktop on the wall side. Makes the island look super slick and uncluttered.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9565 posts
2181 upvotes
Somewhere
Federal Blue cabinets with gold hardware.

Light coloured hardwood floors and light grey painted walls.
:confused:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36154 posts
9417 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
lilmikey wrote: House i'm in now I left the island as one big space to use and I prefer it much better, to each their own and just giving my input.
My island is just one big space. I do all my prep on the island and I wish I had a sink. But I can see the validity of your argument. I wouldn’t want it to be wet if I was entertaining on it.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2978 posts
1046 upvotes
Just finishing up our kitchen reno...went all White gloss with quartz backsplash and countertop. Kitchen looks bigger, glossy cabinets a breeze to clean.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes
jg123 wrote: We just did dark grey on the bottom and white up top, white has been popular forever because it really brightens up the kitchen.
i picked the same combination but then changed to light grey instead of dark grey ..i liked both
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes
what i am really confused now is weather to keep full white cabinets both upper and lower and keep grey only for island (or) to go with half white upper part and half grey lower part and grey island
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1756 posts
2057 upvotes
A full white kitchen will never be on “trend.” It’s the safe, basic, timeless choice, much like a white t-shirt. It will never be out of style, but it will also never be truly in style. A trend is short term. If you want to make a statement, you need colour. Either two tone (ie. white+ or black+) or go with a colour (blues, greens, blacks, etc).

If you decide to go with an all white kitchen, make sure you do something special with the fixtures (pulls, faucets, sink, etc). Otherwise it will just look like every other white kitchen out there, and if done poorly, it will look cheap (ie. rental suite cheap).
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1756 posts
2057 upvotes
mattdominic wrote: what i am really confused now is weather to keep full white cabinets both upper and lower and keep grey only for island (or) to go with half white upper part and half grey lower part and grey island
Either choice (island vs top and bottom) are good options... that’s a tough choice. Just make sure you choose the right shade of grey to match your appliances/flooring/backsplash/hardware/fixtures.