Home & Garden

kitchen counter burned in appartment please suggest

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 8:11 pm
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts

kitchen counter burned in appartment please suggest

we are renting an apartment accidentally kept pan straight from the stove and it burnt the kitchen counter ..do we need to inform insurance company or inform our renting office ?

please see the image enclosed .. we are worried about cost this is going to put on us at the time of vacating
  • IMG_2306.JPG
2 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
I'm not sure how much your deductible would be on your tenant insurance, or if this would be covered. You might want to give them a call anonymously to see if it would even be covered, to begin with. Then figure out how much a section of laminate countertop would be for the size that would have to be replaced. That may help you decide if insurance is your best bet.

If you're not going through insurance, I'd put a trivet down over the damage, and leave it there as a reminder to use it in the future. And not tell your landlord until you're doing the move-out inspection. No sense getting it fixed up now and risking damaging it again.

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2009
7763 posts
Victoria, BC
I would let the landlord know if this is a professional rental management company since they may have deals on cheap countertops or even have in stock if they renovate their own units (the property management company I worked for did all their own renovations of units).