• Jul 3rd, 2020 10:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1417 posts
454 upvotes
Vaughan

Kitchen Faucet Leak - How to Fix it

My Single Handled Kitchen Faucet started leaking and I'm wondering if I can fix it without changing the entire faucet.

I posted a picture to illustrate the flow of water - The cold (blue arrow) and hot (red arrow) water line go into the faucet (presumably mix based on the handle) and then come out on the other line (green) and back into the faucet for the water to come out. The yellowish tube is connected to the outflow line by a black plastic piece. I'm not quite sure what this is but I'm assuming it's part of the faucet (as it usually comes with single handled faucets). The leak is between the yellowish line and the black plastic piece.

Can i just fix this leak by patching the leak with some product? can i replace the connection? or do i need to replace the entire faucet?
Last edited by otaknap on Jul 2nd, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1960 posts
1695 upvotes
GTA
First question is:

What brand is the faucet?

Second question is:

How old is it, and are you the original purchaser?

Depending on these you may just be able to call them and get them to send out a part for free. As well as get them to diagnose the issue for you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1417 posts
454 upvotes
Vaughan
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: First question is:

What brand is the faucet?

Second question is:

How old is it, and are you the original purchaser?

Depending on these you may just be able to call them and get them to send out a part for free. As well as get them to diagnose the issue for you.
it's a moen. the name was so feint on the faucet that it was hard to find.

No clue how old the faucet is but it came with the house when we bought it 5 years ago. I'm assume it's 7-9 years old (as old as the house)

I imagine it would take too long to get a replacement part... i want to fix this asap.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1960 posts
1695 upvotes
GTA
otaknap wrote: it's a moen. the name was so feint on the faucet that it was hard to find.

No clue how old the faucet is but it came with the house when we bought it 5 years ago. I'm assume it's 7-9 years old (as old as the house)

I imagine it would take too long to get a replacement part... i want to fix this asap.
You may need a replacement part and you may just need a gasket/ring. Undo your hose, I assume this is the facet hose like the one below. Inspect that black O ring to see what the condition is. It may just be old and dry or something. Most hardware or appliance stores should have that O-ring in stock if thats the cause of the leak. That is probably the more likely part to fail over time, so check that first.

Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1183 posts
2097 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Just email Moen with a description and a picture. They'll mail out the part to you free of charge. They're stuff is lifetime guarantee. I didn't have to show proof of purchase. Whether it came with my new house or other ones I've installed. They'll likely ship from oakville and you should get it soon enough. It's unlikely you'll find parts in a big box store like HD.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1960 posts
1695 upvotes
GTA
fordmaple wrote: They're stuff is lifetime guarantee. I didn't have to show proof of purchase. Whether it came with my new house or other ones I've installed.
IIRC technically speaking in the fine print, its life time for original owner and only 5 years if you did not purchase it. Regardless, they will usually just ship you a part quickly for free, not sure how dependent it is on who you speak too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1417 posts
454 upvotes
Vaughan
fordmaple wrote: Just email Moen with a description and a picture. They'll mail out the part to you free of charge. They're stuff is lifetime guarantee. I didn't have to show proof of purchase. Whether it came with my new house or other ones I've installed. They'll likely ship from oakville and you should get it soon enough. It's unlikely you'll find parts in a big box store like HD.
Thanks! I just went to home depot and that's the same advice they gave me. i bought jb weld waterheld to hopefully hold it off temporarily until i can get a replacement part.

Tried giving Moen a call and you either schedule a call back for which the earliest is next Thursday or I have to try calling back later. Trying to find an e-mail I can just send to. Only problem is that I can't find the model number of my faucet. The only number I can find is the on the spout A112181M which doesn't seem to be the model number as it should start with 7 or 8.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1183 posts
2097 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Don't use JB weld, you'll damage the parts! In a pinch, because it's a low pressure hose, wrap the pipe tight with electrical tape by stretching it! That will buy you time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1417 posts
454 upvotes
Vaughan
fordmaple wrote: Don't use JB weld, you'll damage the parts! In a pinch, because it's a low pressure hose, wrap the pipe tight with electrical tape by stretching it! That will buy you time.
i just got through with Moen and I'm sadly not covered under warranty. Will have to do a hack fix and replace the entire faucet... What's better i don't care about damaging the part since it'll be garage anyway? JB weld or electrical tape ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1417 posts
454 upvotes
Vaughan
shabby wrote: Flex tape

i saw some tests online where someone tries to use it on a garden hose and it didn't work. It doesn't hold up when there's pressure.

i'm planning on replacing the faucet today. I got these cheap builder white accor tech flowtite plastic shut off valves installed. I've never used them before but apparently you pullout (instead of turning to close the water lines) but a lot of people online seem to replace them. I'm wondering if I should as well. Are they susceptible to breaking easily?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)